Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    nauska is offline Mousketeer
    Favorite Park
    Disneyland
    Favorite Attraction
    Pirates of the Carribean
    Credits

WDW for 5, 10 and 13 year old. Everest?

I have a 5, 10 and 13 year old and we're going to wdw in June . What rides do you think will be best for my kids? Also is Expedition Everest scary at all?

2. You May Also Like....

Sponsored Links

joanna71985 is offline TalkDisney Team

Favorite Park
    Magic Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Great Movie Ride
    Credits

Re: WDW for 5, 10 and 13 year old. Everest?

Quote Originally Posted by nauska View Post
    I have a 5, 10 and 13 year old and we're going to wdw in June . What rides do you think will be best for my kids? Also is Expedition Everest scary at all?
    There are a lot of great family rides in the parks. Some of my favorites are:
    TSM
    Soarin
    PotC
    HM
    KS

As for EE, I think it's a lot of fun. That being said, it can be scary for some people (including kids). There also is a height requirement.

Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012,Fantasy: 20-27, 2012, Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013,Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014,Dream: Sept 21-25, 2014 (for now), Dream: May 11-14, 2015 (for now)
    TD Moderator

Princess D is offline Mousketeer
    Credits

Expedition Everest, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, Splash Mountain, and Space Mountain, Tower of Terror, Peter Pan, Toy Story Midway Mania, Splash Mountain.

Whether or not Expedition Everest is scary is up for debate. I guess it depends on who you ask. As you can see, Expedition Everest tops my list. My husband and I are in love with this attraction, and don't find it scary, rather thrilling and exhilarating. My mom (who recently turned 50, shhh!), on the other hand ,experienced Expedition Everest only once. That single experience was all she needed to decide that it was both scary and unpleasant.

Here are the facts:
    - a good portion of the attraction takes place in the dark
    - a big hairy monster with freaky red eyes makes an appearance
    - there is a very, very steep drop (don't you just love my technical terms?)
    - both high speeds and unexpected track maneuvers play a role

If any of those things strike you as scary, then, yes, Expedition Everest is scary. I will tell you though that the experience only lasts three minutes, so at least the fear is short-lived. Good luck!

Last edited by Ryan C.; 02-20-2009 at 08:07 PM.

galaga_girl is offline Senior Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    Magic Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Mickey's Philharmagic
    Favorite Parade
    Once Upon A Dream
    Favorite Character
    Pluto
    Credits

WDW really caters for everyone so you won't have any problems finding attractions that everyone will enjoy.

I love Everest and It is my fav Disney coaster, I guess it really depends on what your kids are like as to whether they will like it or find is scary. On our last trip we had a Mum behind us with her two daughters who looked about 8 and 6, the Dad stayed behind with the youngest and the Mum and eldest wanted to ride Everest, the entire wait in the line she was telling her Mum how much fun it was going to be etc, etc. Anyway, we took off and she was yelling and having a great time UNTIL (I won't give it away) but needless to say the reason why we bought the snapshot photo was because of the face of the little girl - she was petrified and I really think she was traumatised.

One thing I hate about WDW is that parents sometimes want to go on attractions and have no regard for how their kids may be affected, I can't tell you how many parents i've seen draging their kids into 3-D shows even after the kids have protested about how much they don't wanna go. If you think your kids won't like it, don't take them on the ride it may ruin your trip!

---------------------------
    șoș
    Honeymooning at WDW in Sept 2012!

Winkster is online now Administrator

Favorite Park
    EPCOT
    Favorite Attraction
    ToT or the TTA
    Favorite Parade
    Tapestry of Nations (old)
    Credits

I'd say Everest might be scary for your 5 year old but for the older two it should be fine.

And considering that, along with the RnR coaster and maybe the ToT, Everest is probably about as scary as WDW rides get, you should be pretty safe on almost everything else.

Maybe have a look at both the Haunted Mansion (if your youngest is easily spooked) and Dinosaur first but everything at WDW is designed for people of pretty much all ages to enjoy.

Winkster's Lanyard
    Hollywood StudiosDowntown DisneyEpcotMickey PlutoCarousel of ProgressSpace mountainPeoplemoverMonorail Pilot WingsBig ThunderPort Orleans
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

nauska is offline Mousketeer
    Favorite Park
    Disneyland
    Favorite Attraction
    Pirates of the Carribean
    Credits

Thanks for all the reply's!!
    Quick question what dows - TSM and KS stand for?

I like how some of the words have a little description like HM! you need them for TSM and KS as well

Winkster is online now Administrator

Favorite Park
    EPCOT
    Favorite Attraction
    ToT or the TTA
    Favorite Parade
    Tapestry of Nations (old)
    Credits

TSM - Toy Story Mania
    KS - Kilimanjaro Safari

Just Google the initials and the word "Disney" (sometimes it helps adding the word "acronym" too - that's what I just did cos I couldn't work it out either!).

Last edited by Winkster; 02-21-2009 at 10:19 AM.
    Winkster's Lanyard
    Hollywood StudiosDowntown DisneyEpcotMickey PlutoCarousel of ProgressSpace mountainPeoplemoverMonorail Pilot WingsBig ThunderPort Orleans
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Ryan C. is offline Senior Imagineer
    Favorite Park
    EPCOT
    Favorite Attraction
    TOT, HM, The Mountains
    Favorite Parade
    Main Street Electrical
    Favorite Character
    Goofy
    Credits

TSM = Toy Story Mania

LOL yea what he said! I added them and am working on something really cool for acronyms

Last edited by Ryan C.; 02-21-2009 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Read reviews on every disney attraction, resort, restaurant, and activity! -> Disneyreviews.com

MickeyPhD is offline Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    MK--Epcot is a close 2nd
    Favorite Attraction
    Soarin'
    Credits

Hi Nauska,
    Spent a week in WDW with my 6 year old in January. She loves roller coasters, but have a very vivid imagination and often becomes frightened by "spooky" things. We usually start off with the rides in MK and Epcot as she is tall enough to ride everything. She loves Test Track, Soarin', Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain. I think these rides may be fun for everyone (even the youngest). Space Mountain is really dark, so if the 5 year old has any fears of the dark you may want to avoid it. Also, she was scared of Haunted Mansion until this year. She is an avid reader and is a HUGE Harry Potter fan (the books, she thinks the movies are too scary), I told her the Haunted Mansion was like Hogwarts and she would see the "Death Day Party" and "Nearly Headless Nick", now HM is one of her favorites.

As for HS, she was tall enough for Tower, loved the ride at the end but hated the visuals leading up to the ride. Too small for Rock and Roll. She enjoyed all other rides at the Studios.

Now, to your question about Everest...We did it, she didn't mind the Yeti at all, but the roller coaster is quite exhilarating. I loved it, and she didn't mind, but she didn't want to go on it twice. I think the older two will be fine, if you decide the 5 year old is up for it I recommend fast passing this ride. Sometimes children with vivid imaginations get themselves too "worked up" waiting for a ride and the less time they wait, the better. We avoided Dinosaur. My daughter loves dinosaurs, but, like I said before, it isn't the ride as much as her imagination that causes her fears. I have heard Dinosaur is awesome, but increadibly realistic, so we'll save that one until she is 7 or 8.

I hope this helps!! You will have a great trip, and don't be afraid to let your kids try all of the rides if they are willing, there is always a "chicken out" spot at the end

Have fun!

MickeyPhD

msfitz66 is offline Junior Cast Member
    Favorite Character
    Ariel
    Credits

We just went to WDW with our daughter who turned six in May. She loved Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain, Toy Story Mania, Soarin and Everest. Everest really depends on your child. My DD loves roller coasters and rides all of the coasters for which she is tall enough. She loved Everest! When I looked back at her on the ride, she was holding her dad's arm but smiling big. My nieces would hate it at 13, so it depends on your child's likes and dislikes. Definitely go for the fast pass. It was nice to get on very quickly.

msfitz66's Lanyard
    Expedition EverestWilderness Lodge

Dismom is offline Imagineer
    Favorite Park
    Epcot - World showcase
    Favorite Attraction
    All of it.
    Favorite Character
    Mickey & Minnie, Tink
    Credits

Not that I have ridden any of the roller coasters, so can not speak to the scary of it all, I am thinking it depends on if they can handle the coaster aspect of it all. At those ages my kids could not and so since I do not do wild rides, that was easy for us we just walked on past. I do know kids that age who absolutely enjoy the thrill. The only other thing that really enters my mind is the height of the 5 yr old. You might need to get those requirements.

I was forced to do a ferris wheel at about the age of 6, and I hate them to this day. So I share the concern for kids forced to ride a ride they are not ready for, not that you would of course.

Have a Mickey Mouse Day!, Dot

July 1983 - Off site Camping; July 2000 - All Star Movies; December 2007 - All Star Music; Sep/Oct 2009 - Pop Century; May/June 2011 - POFQ; Apr/May 2011 Pop Century

me stitch is offline Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    animal kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    rockin roller coster
    Favorite Parade
    Electrical Parade
    Favorite Character
    Stitch
    Credits

on our first trip i was 12 and still afraid of coasters i think the only one my brother and i did was goofys brainstormer lol. the last trip i was 19 and when i rode such rides like space mountain big thunder mountain test track i wondered what i was afraid of in the first place. RnR is fast but its in the dark so you cant see the track ahead of you. Everest has the largest drop but it is so fun and thrilling. ToT still gives me goosebumps but i ride it anyways.
    like everyone else has said it just depends on the child and if the younger one meets some of the height requirements

July 2000 All Star Movies
    December 2007 All Star Music
    September 2009 Pop Century
    June 2011 Port Orleans French Quarter

liltink07 is offline Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    magic kingdom, or hollywood studios...i cant decide!
    Favorite Attraction
    expidition everest!
    Credits

as everyone has been saying, it all depends on the kids. your older 2 should love most disney rides, however Dinosaur was really scary for me, and i was 14 when i went on it for the first time, and i dont plan on going again! the only "kiddie" ride that i might steer away from with a 5 year old is snow white. i went on that when i was little and it scared me a lot. i still dont like it. however TSM, KS, buzz lightyear, winnie the pooh, IASM, PPF, muppets, figment, plus a lot more that your whole family can enjoy.

2002- Wilderness Lodge
    2003- Wilderness Lodge (MNSSHP)
    2007- Wilderness Lodge Villas
    2009- Port Orleans French Quarter
    2011- Polynesian
    2011- Bay Lake Tower/AKL (Kidani)
    2012- Saratoga Springs

"This is my dream!" - Mickey, Fantasmic

egirl98 is offline Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    Magic Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Space Mt.Tower of Terror
    Credits

Everest is a fast ride, the scary part would be the yeti. Its quite big. Five year old may want to sit this one out, but its all in the matter if your five year old gets scared easy or not. This ride should be perfect for your 10, 13 year olds!
    OTHERS::::
    Space Mountain
    Splash Mountain
    Big Thunder Mountain
    The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (suprisingly fun for all ages)
    Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
    Toy Story Mania
    Tower of Terror.

HOPE I HELPED !!!

*****You should also do DisneyQuest****

GrumpyCOdad is offline Junior Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    Disneyland/WDW
    Favorite Attraction
    Indiana Jones
    Credits

See, my DD7 is the bravest, least scared kid out on the 3 (my oldest, DS11 is the most scared and my DS10 is pretty brave, but my daughter is not afraid of ANYTHING. Not spiders, snakes, haunted houses, nothing.) She rode EE, SM, POTC, ToT, Dinosaur, Rock and Roller Coaster, Test Track...everything with no problems.

2 Trips to WDW as a child May 1991: Disneyland: Off Site
    Nov 1992: Disneyland: Off Site Oct 1995: Disneyland Off Site
    Nov 2001: Disneyland: Paradise PierNov 2003: Disneyland: Grand Californian
    August 2004: Disneyland: Off Site
    Nov 2004: WDW: Wilderness Lodge
    April 2005: Disneyland: Grand Californian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast