Disney to begin testing the next version of their ‘skip the line’ passes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ryan C is offline Administrator

Credits

Disney to begin testing the next version of their ‘skip the line’ passes

Both Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando will be testing the next version of their Express and Fastpass systems during May 2012. The two theme park companies will be trying two very different concepts.

Disney’s current Fastpass system offers free tickets to guests in the parks with a time printed for them to return to the shorter Fastpass line. Universal sells its Express Pass (at varying prices), which allows guests to enter the shorter Express lines whenever they’d like. Universal’s hotel guests can use their room key as an Express Pass at no additional charge. Both parks only offer guests the ability to skip the line on certain attractions.

Disney will be testing a new system that will allow guests to book their Fastpasses before they leave their homes. Universal will be testing the ability to allow guests to book their ride times from a device they’ll have with them in the park. Below are some details on both tests. Keep in mind that these are only tests and things may change before the final products are launched.

Walt Disney World
    Disney will be testing their new Fastpass system from May 1 to 15 at the Magic Kingdom. Guests will be selected for the test before they arrive at Walt Disney World and will be making their Fastpass selections at that time. Once they’ve made their attractions choices, including dates and times to ride, they won’t be able to change them. (This may change if the new system is officially launched.)

The guests will receive a list of the attractions they chose and may visit City Hall or a Fastpass kiosk at Splash Mountain, Philharmagic, Stitch’s Great Escape or Jungle Cruise if they forget their Fastpass visit times.

The guests will receive a special Fastpass card which will have an RF (radio frequency) chip in it. When they arrive at their selected attractions, they’ll wave the card by special scanners to confirm their arrival.

The scanners have been set up at many attractions around Magic Kingdom for the test. Pictured above is a covered one at the Haunted Mansion, an attraction that doesn’t offer the current Fastpasses. Since this is a test, Haunted Mansion and other non-Fastpass attractions may or may not be a part of the new Fastpass once officially launched, although it is expected the new system will offer Fastpasses at many more attractions than are currently available.

Disney has said they have no plans to begin charging for Fastpasses, but it’s rumored that guests staying at Disney resorts may be offered to book more Fastpass rides than other park guests. Although the Fastpass cards used in this test won’t double for the guest’s room key, it’s expected they will once the final version of the new Fastpass system launches. There are also rumors of wristbands that will function as a guest’s “Key To The World” card.

Universal Orlando
    Universal will be testing their new Ride Reservation System with their team members on May 2 and 3. This new version of the Universal Express pass is expected to have a new name once launched. It may replace the current system or be available side-by-side. Universal will provide guests with interactive pagers which will allow them to make attraction reservations, one at a time, for certain attractions.

Universal is also considering making their new system available via smart phone, in place of receiving the interactive pagers. It’s not known if the new system will be free to guests, but it’s expected to have a charge.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disney to begin testing the next version of their ‘skip the line’ passes-fast-pass-2.jpg  

Ryan C's Lanyard
    Space mountainMickey GearsGoofy on SorinGrand Floridian

2. You May Also Like....

Sponsored Links

HannahLeigh is offline Senior Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    Magic Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Splash Mountain
    Favorite Character
    Mickey
    Credits

I really don't see this working. People complain enough about having to return at a certain hour and now they want you to choose when to ride before you ever get to the park? So not only will families have to work around dinner reservations, also ride reservations?

Sent from my iPhone using TalkDisney

HannahLeigh's Lanyard
    Walt Dsney WorldAll Star Sports
    -HannahLeigh

Disney_Lover570 is offline Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    Both Magic&Animal Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Splash Mountain
    Favorite Parade
    Main Street Electrical
    Favorite Character
    Tinkerbell and Goofy
    Credits

From what I've seen today on other sites and member comments, not too many people are into this idea. Most are against it. I don't like the idea of it either. It's a vacation after all. I don't want to schedule my entire day. I have a feeling this is going to turn into a big waste of time, money, and resources.

Sent from my magical iPad
    Wilderness Lodge August 2006
    All-Star Movies August 2010
    All-Star Movies December 2012

Freshee61 is offline TalkDisney Team

Favorite Park
    Magic Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Dinosaur
    Favorite Parade
    Villains mnsshp
    Favorite Character
    Lewis Robinson
    Credits

I hadn't heard of thAt both wdw and universal are trying new strategies. Pretty neat to see which works better or at least which people will be more happy with.
    As for Disney the info on the new system sounds different form what we've previously thought it would be but either way the idea is still terrible imo and sounds even worse to me more because of all the planning(yuck) !!!! I have a awfully Terrible time getting back to one fast pass ride withthe new enforcement with a baby! I can't imagine even thinking about a days worth of planning. My gosh.

Freshee61's Lanyard
    Lady and the TrampSpace mountainArial and Prince Eric in Clam ShellHalloween - MinnieTower of TerrorPhilharmagicIts a small worldHaunted Mansion
    Frying pans! Who knew, right!?

Talk Disney Moderator

Click here to become a Premium

cabinmom is offline Newbie
    Credits

Re: Disney to begin testing the next version of their ‘skip the line’ passes

Universal Studios fast pass was awsome when we were there Christmas. Walt Disney World needed to learn from them and do there's the same way. The fast pass system Disney has really does not work. We were in the parks as early as the opened and still fast passes for the day were already gone for the whole day. So there were some rides we could not ride like the Toy Story ride and the waits were long and with a 3 year old not a good idea. When we went over to Universal and used there fast pass system it was great never waited over 20 min. on a ride. Disney needs to work on a lot better system, something like Universal has now.

Flashover23 is offline Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    Magic Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Splash Mountain
    Favorite Parade
    Main St Electrical Parade
    Favorite Character
    Goofy
    Credits

Not sure if I like the idea of having to plan my ride times before I even leave home.

Flashover23's Lanyard
    Animal Kingdom LodgeCaribbean BeachAll Star MoviesAll Star Sports
    Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes. They're shining deep down inside of you, cause that my friends, is where the magic lives. - Jiminy Cricket

Disney&HP geek is offline Junior Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    Magic Kingdom or EPCOT
    Favorite Parade
    Tapestry of Nations
    Favorite Character
    Stitch
    Credits

I think the current Fastpass system works the best right now. If someone could do it at home then they could wouldnt have an incentive to go the park early to get the fastpasses for a variety of rides before they all disappear.

ctocsrn is offline Mousketeer
    Favorite Park
    Epcot
    Favorite Attraction
    Soarin
    Favorite Parade
    Light Parade
    Favorite Character
    Figment
    Credits

Angry Re: Disney to begin testing the next version of their ‘skip the line’ passes

Terrible idea. I am one of "those" people that love lists and itineraries. But this is going to far. Having to plan a day around dining reservations is hard enough. Now we have to plan around fastpass also? Are they going to limit the number of fastpasses so these lines don't get out of hand. Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Winkster is online now Administrator

Favorite Park
    EPCOT
    Favorite Attraction
    ToT or the TTA
    Favorite Parade
    Tapestry of Nations (old)
    Credits

We eat outside of WDW because we don't like the rigidity and inflexibility of having to plan an entire day around ADRs so there's absolutely no chance that we'd use this system!!

Fast pass works really well for us so if it isn't broken, why try to fix it?

I'd HATE to have to book my rides months in advance and have my days planned out to the minute. Where's the fun in that?

We always go with the flow, not just in terms of what rides we do but also in terms of what parks we do.

I'd never normally wish misfortune on Disney but I really hope this system crashes and burns and ends up in the trash where it belongs!

Winkster's Lanyard
    Hollywood StudiosDowntown DisneyEpcotMickey PlutoCarousel of ProgressSpace mountainPeoplemoverMonorail Pilot WingsBig ThunderPort Orleans
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

thehowells is offline Cast Member
    Favorite Attraction
    toy story mania
    Credits

so here comes x-pass great. not digging this at all

thehowells's Lanyard
    Pirate Mickey EarsPort Orleans
    April 20-27 2008 Saratoga Springs
    Nov 30-Dec 7 2008-Pop Century
    5th wedding anniversarry
    sept 24- oct 03 2009 all star sports
    jan 1-8 2011 p.o.r, sept 22-30 p.o.r
    Counting down to Sept 20 2013- Cabins at Fort Wilderness
    D23 charter year member

3BluEyedBabies is offline Mousketeer
    Favorite Park
    Animal Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Kilimanjaro Safaris
    Favorite Parade
    Mickey's Jammin Jungle
    Credits

I like the idea of the fastpass; but scheduling it so far in advance is just ridiculous. People with kids are lucky to get a trip scheduled but there is no way to schedule the rides when you have little ones. I think Disney is just trying to be more organized, so to speak, but this is too much.

3BluEyedBabies's Lanyard
    Pirate Mickey Ears

ocdg is offline Mousketeer
    Favorite Park
    Magix Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Tikki room
    Credits

Don't know if I like this concept.

Disney fan for over 25 years

Curious Alice is offline TalkDisney Team

Favorite Park
    Epcot
    Favorite Attraction
    ToT, Soarin
    Favorite Character
    Alice
    Credits

So people who want to get a Fastpass now won't be able to get one because they'll already be sold out to people who booked in advance? What a horrible idea!

I go to WDW several times a year, but losing the current version of Fastpass will probably make me NOT renew my annual pass.

I don't want to plan my rides ahead of time. I don't want to stand in a steerage queue because of Deluxe Resort people getting all the Fastpass-type privileges. It's hard enough to get FPs for TSM already. This will make it even worse!

Bad, bad, bad, bad idea!!!! I hope it dies.

Curious Alice's Lanyard
    Mad Tea PartyMad Tea PartyAlice
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13

Shadow Jedi Rhy is offline TalkDisney Team

Favorite Park
    Epcot
    Favorite Attraction
    Journey Into Imagination
    Favorite Character
    Figment
    Credits

Count me as one to pile on this new system. I understand Disney wants to be innovative but I think they may be outthinking the room on this one and not listening to people instead telling them what they want in a vacation. Sadly with all the money they have wasted on this project it likely will be pushed down our throats for a while.

Sadly I like Universal's concept of using the Q-Bot better, that system has been used a few places and seems a better idea than what Disney is putting out (even though Disney's has more tech behind it).

Shadow Jedi Rhy's Lanyard
    Epcot - Universe Of EnergyEpcot - Living SeasEpcot - Journey Into Imagination
    Go Noles! Ryan

4everDisney is offline Newbie
    Credits

I like the idea of having return window choices, especially with the new enforcement of fast passes. I HATE the idea of scheduling ride times before I get there. It take away the possibility of living in the moment. It's a disaster for kids. It's impossible with special needs children. It's just not fun. It should be about enjoying the attraction, not keeping an appointment. On the upside, maybe I'll save money from a no-hopper perspective.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast