Former Disney worker expected to sue over head scarf dispute
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ryan C is offline Administrator

Credits

Former Disney worker expected to sue over head scarf dispute

A former Disney employee is expected to announce Monday a federal lawsuit against the entertainment giant, saying she was harassed and unfairly removed from her hostess job after refusing to remove her head scarf while at work.

Imane Boudlal, who is Muslim, said she had worked at Storyteller's Cafe in Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa in Anaheim for two years when she began wearing her hijab to work in August 2010. Boudlal said she was told wearing her scarf was a violation of company policy, and she would either have to remove it, cover it with a hat or take a job working out of public sight.

Boudlal, now 28, refused. She has not worked at Disney since Aug. 21, 2010, said Mark Rosenbaum, an attorney from the ACLU of Southern California who is representing Boudlal.

She filed a complaint with theU.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commissionin 2010 and received a "notice of right-to-sue" from the agency Aug. 8, opening the door for litigation. She is expected to reveal her legal plans Monday morning with her attorneys at the ACLU's Los Angeles office.

Boudlal's attorneys also said their Moroccan-born client was repeatedly harassed by her co-workers from the beginning of her employment, receiving insults such as "terrorist," "camel" and "Kunta Kinte," the name of a slave in Alex Haley's 1976 novel, "Roots." Boudlal reported the incidents to her managers orally and in writing, Rosenbaum said, with no results.

"Walt Disney Parks and Resorts has a long history of accommodating a variety of religious requests from cast members of all faiths," said Suzi Brown, a Disney spokeswoman. "However, because we have not seen the lawsuit, we cannot comment specifically about this situation at this time."

Shortly after Boudlal's dispute with the company went public in 2010, another Muslim woman said she was also told she would have to work out of sight if she chose to wear a hijab to work. Disney officials said they were able to reach a compromise with Noor Abdallah, then a 22-year-old intern from Chicago, and allowed her to wear a fitted blue scarf topped by a beret-style hat.

Source...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Former Disney worker expected to sue over head scarf dispute-hijab-05.jpg  

Ryan C's Lanyard
    Space mountainMickey GearsGoofy on SorinGrand Floridian

2. You May Also Like....

Sponsored Links

Freshee61 is online now TalkDisney Team

Favorite Park
    Magic Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Dinosaur
    Favorite Parade
    Villains mnsshp
    Favorite Character
    Lewis Robinson
    Credits

So she worked with out the head scarf for two years and then decided she had to wear it? Smells to me like some one had a bright idea to sue.

Freshee61's Lanyard
    Christmas - Haunted Mansion HolidayLady and the TrampSpace mountainArial and Prince Eric in Clam ShellHalloween - MinnieTower of TerrorPhilharmagicIts a small worldHaunted Mansion
    Frying pans! Who knew, right!?

Talk Disney Moderator

Click here to become a Premium

JeffsPrincess is offline Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    Magic Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Space Mountian
    Favorite Character
    Minnie Mouse
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by Freshee61
    So she worked with out the head scarf for two years and then decided she had to wear it? Smells to me like some one had a bright idea to sue.
    I'm gonna agree with you. I think they have worked something out like they did in the previous situation but sounds like she didn't want that.

JeffsPrincess's Lanyard
    Mickey 2012
    Kristin
    Wife to Jeffrey
    Mom to Jay & Jack

HannahLeigh is offline Senior Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    Magic Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Splash Mountain
    Favorite Character
    Mickey
    Credits

Tell me about it. Disney has a certain look they expect from their employees. It is against Disney look to wear something other than your costume. No earrings lathers than a quarter, no unnatural hair. Socks must be the same color as your shoe (white or black depending on your location and job description). If you can't adhere to these simple rules why even accept a job with the company?! I worked there for a year and a half (CP) and while I would have loved to put pink highlights in my hair I didn't bc it's against policy. I don't understand why you would suddenly do something drastic and expect everything to be hunky-dorey?

Sent from my iPhone using TalkDisney

HannahLeigh's Lanyard
    Walt Dsney WorldAll Star Sports
    -HannahLeigh

lionkingfanno1 is offline Cast Member
    Credits

Exactly what I was thinking. Plus muslim women are not forced to wear hijabs but is by choice. Don't see why she just didn't agree to wear a beret on top of her hijab like the other lady

lionkingfanno1's Lanyard
    Space mountain
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them

Disneyland Paris 23rd-26th dec '07
    Walt Disney world 1st-15th nov '12
    Florida (clarion inn-LBV) 17th nov- 2nd Dec '15

dsyplanninmomma is offline Senior Cast Member
    Favorite Attraction
    Toy Story Mania
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by lionkingfanno1

Exactly what I was thinking. Plus muslim women are not forced to wear hijabs but is by choice. Don't see why she just didn't agree to wear a beret on top of her hijab like the other lady

Because she wanted a reason to sue.

Disney tells you up front about their "look" and have a choice right there to walk out and not go any further in the employment process. She worked there long enough to know that.

JeffsPrincess is offline Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    Magic Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Space Mountian
    Favorite Character
    Minnie Mouse
    Credits

I understand her maybe deciding to do something different with her religion and I don't judge her for that, but if she really wanted to wear it for religious purposes she would have agreed to the beret.

JeffsPrincess's Lanyard
    Mickey 2012
    Kristin
    Wife to Jeffrey
    Mom to Jay & Jack

Shadow Jedi Rhy is offline TalkDisney Team

Favorite Park
    Epcot
    Favorite Attraction
    Journey Into Imagination
    Favorite Character
    Figment
    Credits

Re: Former Disney worker expected to sue over head scarf dispute

And this is why Disney has one of the bigger legal departments out there. This is such a waste of time legally it's unreal.

Shadow Jedi Rhy's Lanyard
    Epcot - Universe Of EnergyEpcot - Living SeasEpcot - Journey Into Imagination
    Go Noles! Ryan

englanddg is offline Senior Imagineer
    Favorite Park
    EPCOT
    Favorite Attraction
    Haunted Mansion
    Favorite Parade
    Main Street Electrical
    Favorite Character
    Goofy
    Credits

There are years of precedent regarding uniform standards and policy, however this is going to be messier then a civil suit. Since there is alleged discrimination, the EEOC will get involved as well. Even if Disney wins the case, it's going to cost them tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I bet they just settle with the girl to get her to go away before it ever goes to court.

englanddg's Lanyard
    Mickey Cruise LineMonorailMickey GearsMonorail Pilot Wings LEHorizons
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLC | 2013 - Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ

disneymama2000 is offline Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    Disneyland Resort
    Favorite Attraction
    Grizzly River Run
    Favorite Parade
    Electrical Parade
    Favorite Character
    Donald Duck
    Credits

I definitely agree that she should have been aware of the dress policy and standards and knew ahead of time what was expected of her as an employee. But on the other hand if true I do not agree with the racial insults that were allegedly said, that is when Disney should have did something to resolve the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffsPrincess View Post
    I understand her maybe deciding to do something different with her religion and I don't judge her for that, but if she really wanted to wear it for religious purposes she would have agreed to the beret.
    I agree ,if she was given an option she should have did it.

Last edited by disneymama2000; 08-18-2012 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Disney addict for life

3BluEyedBabies is offline Mousketeer
    Favorite Park
    Animal Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Kilimanjaro Safaris
    Favorite Parade
    Mickey's Jammin Jungle
    Credits

This makes me furious!! Seriously, WDW is supposed to be the happiest place on earth...if you aren't happy...find another job! SHe knew darn well what the dress code was and took the job anyway. I'm sure Disney knows what they are up against; someone who just wants attention and money..makes me sick! Disney has better things to do than waste their time on this lady.

3BluEyedBabies's Lanyard
    Pirate Mickey Ears

englanddg is offline Senior Imagineer
    Favorite Park
    EPCOT
    Favorite Attraction
    Haunted Mansion
    Favorite Parade
    Main Street Electrical
    Favorite Character
    Goofy
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by 3BluEyedBabies View Post
    This makes me furious!! Seriously, WDW is supposed to be the happiest place on earth...if you aren't happy...find another job! SHe knew darn well what the dress code was and took the job anyway. I'm sure Disney knows what they are up against; someone who just wants attention and money..makes me sick! Disney has better things to do than waste their time on this lady.
    Meh, it's a cost of doing business. I could get into an employment law discussion, but the long and short of it is that sometimes people get upset, and most of the time they get some leech lawyer who makes just enough of a case to be an annoyance, and at worst EEOC gets involved. It all generally ends up being settled out of court. This sort of thing goes on all the time, and most people don't even know.

The only reason this made news is because several Islamic Rights organizations have decided to use her as a poster child, and she's getting personal funding and pro-bono work through them (paid for through donors).

As far as I'm concerned, I could care less if someone wears it or not. I do understand constuming, and Disney could have relegated her to venues that allowed for it (like Small World, or EPCOT's world pavilion). That being said, there are years of precedent regarding costuming vs EEOC, and Disney knows how to walk this line better than any legal department out there, I suspect.

Hooters has been sued over and over again about it's "uniforms", and they win every time.

It has to do with consistency and expectations set at the time of employment, and as terrible as this sounds, the fact that Disney made concessions for one employee (the beret) actually doesn't help the case.

Anyhow, we'll see how it plays out.

englanddg's Lanyard
    Mickey Cruise LineMonorailMickey GearsMonorail Pilot Wings LEHorizons
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLC | 2013 - Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ

Boatnik is offline Cast Member In Training
    Favorite Park
    Like all 4! Four Parks, o
    Favorite Attraction
    hard to say, like all
    Credits

The "dress-code" problem is one thing and it sounds like she was offered a compromise on that if she was willing to wear a hat on top of the scarf (hijab). What should have been taken seriously and dealt with swiftly was the apparent racial remarks aimed at her when she began wearing her head scarf. If true, that IS discrimination and should never be overlooked by ANY employer, especially DISNEY. Was that investigated? Did the co-workers who made those remarks receive any disipline? Any penalty?? Did Disney find any proof?
    Again, this does "stink" of someone itching to sue and get big $$ from Disney.....but if the racial remarks did happen, something should have been done (or was something done.....but not to her satisfaction?) Did she start wearing the "hijab" only to try to get a reason to sue for big $$? If she truly wore it for "religious" reasons, then she is owed a "safe" work enviroment and her claims or racial taunts should have been investigated (or were they??) and appropiate action should have been taken by Disney. (or was it taken??)

First trip: April 1976 off-site hotel (International Drive) 2 days at Magic Kingdom
    Second Trip: February 2000, off-site hotel (same) 1 day each at MK and Epcot
    Third, Fourth, Fifth Trips: Fort Wilderness Cabin, February 2002 (7 days), November 2003 (4 days, 2 at Parks), November 2007 (4 days, 2 at Parks)

Tinker Britt is offline Senior Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    Epcot
    Favorite Attraction
    Thunder Mountain
    Favorite Parade
    Fantasy and Spectro Magic
    Favorite Character
    Tinkerbell & Mickey Mouse
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by Freshee61 View Post
    Freshee61 and 3blueyedbabies, you took the words right out of my mouth! Sorry if I offend people but it's true!

Last edited by Tinker Britt; 08-19-2012 at 10:49 PM.
    Tinker Britt's Lanyard
    Grand FloridianMary PoppinsWalt Dsney WorldLady and the TrampMickey and Minnie on Dumbo
    "Faith is a bluebird you see from a far. It's for real and as sure as the first evening star"
    Magical Disney Trips circa 1989
    1991*1994*1997*2003*2011*2013

Mike0510 is offline Cast Member
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by englanddg
    There are years of precedent regarding uniform standards and policy, however this is going to be messier then a civil suit. Since there is alleged discrimination, the EEOC will get involved as well. Even if Disney wins the case, it's going to cost them tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I bet they just settle with the girl to get her to go away before it ever goes to court.
    This is why the legal system is in such a mess, no common sense at all. Where there's blames there's a claim philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by englanddg

Hooters has been sued over and over again about it's "uniforms", and they win every time.
    At last........ Some good news! Now if only WDW would incorporate that uniform in one of the parks! Only joking, ha ha.

Last edited by Mike0510; 08-20-2012 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast