'No-expire' option lives on for Disney tickets just not for online purchases
    Ryan C is online now Administrator

Credits

'No-expire' option lives on for Disney tickets just not for online purchases

Disney World has altered the way it sells the "no-expire" option on theme-park tickets. That selection, which allows multiday tickets to be used any time in the future, no longer will be available online. The no-expire add-on continues to be available via phone or at theme park front gates, a Disney spokeswoman said Tuesday.

Adding "park hopper" status, which allows a ticketholder to move between all four parks in a single day, and the water-park option can still be purchased online at DisneyWorld.com.

Giving the tickets new life comes at a price. Disney charges between $30 and $295 on top of the regular admission, depending on how many days were purchased originally.

No-expire buyers tend to be "guests who like to visit Disney on a whim but not regularly enough for having an annual pass makes sense," says John Frost, owner of The Disney Blog, which is not officially affiliated with Walt Disney World.

"If you're planning to visit less than eight days a year but more than five then it makes sense to get this pass," Frost says.

Disney's multiday tickets become invalid 14 days after the first use of the pass, unless a no-expire option is activated. That is also true of most ticket plans for theme parks at SeaWorld Orlando and Universal Orlando.

Sue Pisaturo, owner of New Jersey-based Small World Vacations travel agency, says the great majority of her customers do not use the no-expire option.

"I polled my agents across the United States, and we book people from all over the world, and they said rarely do they have any inquiry about it."

She says many of her clients are first-timers to Disney World and not inclined to buy into additional trips yet.

"Most people, when my agents tell them the price, say they don't want to add the non-expiration," Pisaturo says.

Frost says he thinks that Disney is deemphasizing the no-expire option it no longer appears on the signage at the parks' gates as part of the shift to Disney's upcoming NextGen features.

"Disney wants more guests to stay on property. And when guests stay on property, they want them to use the all-in-one package as they're moving to the My Disney Experience and MyMagic system," Frost says. "So it's all wrapped up into one wristband. They can't sell no-expire tickets that way."

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 'No-expire' option lives on for Disney tickets  just not for online purchases-disney_static_main.jpg  

Ryan C's Lanyard
    Space mountainMickey GearsGoofy on SorinGrand Floridian

2. You May Also Like....

Sponsored Links

HannahLeigh is offline Senior Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    Magic Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Splash Mountain
    Favorite Character
    Mickey
    Credits

I wish they would go back to the tickets from the 90's when "no expire" wasn't an option. All tickets had that feature automatically. When we would go back in later years we would still have a day or two from previous tickets that we would bring back with us. When we first started going you could get a 5 day park hopper (that never expired) for $90. My parents said if they knew then how much prices would increase, they would have bought hundreds of days worth of tickets back then

Sent from my iPhone using TalkDisney

HannahLeigh's Lanyard
    Walt Dsney WorldAll Star Sports
    -HannahLeigh

dsyplanninmomma is offline Senior Cast Member
    Favorite Attraction
    Toy Story Mania
    Credits

I agree and find some of this info very interesting! As a DVC member and a sister of a cast member, purchasing tickets with the no expiration option is the smartest choice for us.

As a travel agent, I do know that most guests don't purchase the option until they are actually at the parks. If it is purchased they normally "max -out" the ticket (10 day PH with Water Park & More) then add the No exp. having 10 passes to the Water Parks that you might use one or two each vacation is well worth the extra cost. The Ph and WP&M options are reasonably priced now as well!!!

HannahLeigh is offline Senior Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    Magic Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Splash Mountain
    Favorite Character
    Mickey
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by dsyplanninmomma
    I agree and find some of this info very interesting! As a DVC member and a sister of a cast member, purchasing tickets with the no expiration option is the smartest choice for us.

As a travel agent, I do know that most guests don't purchase the option until they are actually at the parks. If it is purchased they normally "max -out" the ticket (10 day PH with Water Park & More) then add the No exp. having 10 passes to the Water Parks that you might use one or two each vacation is well worth the extra cost. The Ph and WP&M options are reasonably priced now as well!!!
    I hadn't even thought of adding the no expire just so I don't have to add WP&M next vacay bc it would already be covered! Gosh...now I need to look at my package prices again. Lol

HannahLeigh's Lanyard
    Walt Dsney WorldAll Star Sports
    -HannahLeigh

DisneyJoe is offline Newbie
    Credits

Re: 'No-expire' option lives on for Disney tickets just not for online purchases

A reliable source told me that many guests were choosing the No Expiration option when purchasing packages online; then they would arrive on their vacation and see that they didn't need it and would spend time at Guest Services getting it removed.

This was becoming such a problem, that to prevent this from happening, they removed the No Expiration option from the Disney consumer web site.

Travel agents can still order this option for their clients, and it is still available when calling Disney on the phone.

dsyplanninmomma is offline Senior Cast Member
    Favorite Attraction
    Toy Story Mania
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyJoe
    A reliable source told me that many guests were choosing the No Expiration option when purchasing packages online; then they would arrive on their vacation and see that they didn't need it and would spend time at Guest Services getting it removed.

This was becoming such a problem, that to prevent this from happening, they removed the No Expiration option from the Disney consumer web site.

Travel agents can still order this option for their clients, and it is still available when calling Disney on the phone.
    Makes perfect sense to me!

c&apriputin is offline Mousketeer
    Favorite Park
    Epcot
    Favorite Attraction
    Soaring
    Credits

Re: 'No-expire' option lives on for Disney tickets just not for online purchases

what about at places like Undercover Tourist -- can we still get those from them?

Squigglove is offline Mousketeer
    Favorite Park
    WDW, Magic Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    many!
    Favorite Parade
    Spectro Magic
    Favorite Character
    Roger Rabbit, Prince Jon
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by HannahLeigh View Post
    I wish they would go back to the tickets from the 90's when "no expire" wasn't an option. All tickets had that feature automatically. When we would go back in later years we would still have a day or two from previous tickets that we would bring back with us. When we first started going you could get a 5 day park hopper (that never expired) for $90. My parents said if they knew then how much prices would increase, they would have bought hundreds of days worth of tickets back then

100% AGREED!!!!
    Our first trip was back in 1992 and the No Expiration was automatically part of the ticket. I surmise Disney is doing away with the option altogether, which really isn't fair to folks like us who always have unused days that can and will be used during a future trip. I have to say I'm disappointed with Disney's lack of consideration for the consumer. I don't give much a whoot that statistically people don't pay to add it. For those of us that think it's important - it is.

My family is NOT the spuradic Disney vacationer the blogger claims uses such an option. We are the family that gets there if and when we can. We've been there 3 times and every time we've come home with unused days, which under Disney's new model would be money in their pockets and lost to us. Where's the fairness? It isn't bad enough that they now fingerprint you so that you can't share or give away tickets. What's it really all about?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyJoe View Post

Then why remove it, why not just add a detailed explanation? Or at least offer it as an option for tickets with 7 or more days ... and offer a detailed explanation if people are confused by it.

Bottom line is they had no reason to start charging people for it. It should have been kept a free option with every ticket regardless.

The whole topic gives me anxiety. I am expecting our first child and it's got me in the Disney World spirit. I was online just Thursday and the No Expiration option was there. The next day they'd redone the webpage. How can I factor my costs accurately without the hassle of putting in a phone call? It's inconvenient as I see it. I mean sure, I'm planning far in advance but still. And honestly I believe that they will have done away with the option completely by the time I'm ready to move ahead with my next trip.

I'm sad. I'm just sad.

June 1992 ~ Disney's 20th
    July 2000 ~ Disney's Millenium
    July 2009 ~
    next trip planning