- 10-27-2010, 02:33 PM #1
- Join Date
- Oct 2001
- Favorite Park
- Favorite Attraction
- TOT, HM, The Mountains
- Favorite Parade
- Main Street Electrical
- Favorite Character
How to make Tonga Toast (Banana Stuffed French Toast)
2 or 4 slices sourdough bread cut 1 inch thick
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
oil for frying
whipped butter if desired
Maple syrup if desired
Depending on the size of the bread slices, cut a 1 inch pocket in one side of the bread slice.
Cut banana in half crosswise, then split each piece lengthwise. Remove peel and stuff 2 pieces in each pocket, again depending on size. Set aside.
Mix sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
Mix egg, milk and vanilla until well blended.
Heat about 4 inches of oil in a pan to 350 F.
Dip stuffed bread into egg mixture, allowing it to soak in for a few minutes.
Fry in hot oil until lightly brown, turning to brown both sides. Drain on paper towels on cake rack. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar and serve at once. Top as desired.
Some Strawberry Sauces to try with this...
Kringla Bakery, Norway
2 cups Strawberry Preserves
1 cup water
1 tbls. lemon juice
Combine all ingredients in a blender and mix for one minute. Fresh strawberries may be added if desired.
Rachel Ray's Strawberry Sauce:
Basic Strawberry Sauce
Makes 3¼ Cups
2 pounds fresh strawberries, coarsely chopped
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
Juice of two lemons (4 tablespoons)
1. Combine the strawberries, brown sugar and lemon juice in a large saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Partially cover with a lid and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the strawberries are softened and release their juices, about 10 minutes. Let cool.
2. Pour the strawberries into a blender and blend until smooth.
3. Press the sauce through a fine-mesh strainer into a storage container. The sauce will keep for up to 10 days in the refrigerator or up to 6 months in the freezer.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKp0gk_gMHY"]Disney's Polynesian Resort at Walt Disney World Shares a Lesson in Tonga Toast[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a_tRdgdk2Q"]Episode 4 Tonga Toast - YouTube[/ame]
Last edited by Ryan C.; 11-02-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Read reviews on every disney attraction, resort, restaurant, and activity! -> Disneyreviews.com
- By Mickey Crazy in forum WDW ResortsReplies: 0Last Post: 08-02-2010, 10:55 AM
- By snow1 in forum WDW ResortsReplies: 8Last Post: 01-16-2010, 03:20 PM
- By BDANtheman29 in forum Disneyland ResortsReplies: 6Last Post: 08-18-2003, 02:03 PM
- By MickeysGirl in forum TD archivesReplies: 0Last Post: 06-11-2003, 03:37 PM
- By shawnp0001 in forum TD archivesReplies: 0Last Post: 06-13-2002, 07:17 AM