Favorite Park
    Magic Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Big Thunder Mountain
    Favorite Character
    Tinkerbell
    Credits

Disney Dining Plan vs NO Dining plan

I have just done an exercise based on the current prices of the disney dining plan vs not having the plan at all and just eating what you want

I followed the same layout of the dining plan credits and it works out for the two of us travelling $50 cheaper to not have the dining plan!

Anyone else have opinions on this - obviously if the dining is offered at my time of booking my next trip - I will take it but if a room discount is offered I may rather take that!!!!

Shendl's Lanyard
    Port Orleans

2. You May Also Like....

Sponsored Links

Disneymommyx2 is offline Imagineer
    Favorite Park
    Magic Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    All of them :)
    Favorite Character
    Donald Duck
    Credits

Re: Disney Dining Plan vs NO Dining plan

we always use the dining plan but we do the DDP because we do the the dinner shows and the dining with princess's for us it is cheaper!

Disneymommyx2's Lanyard
    Pirate Mickey EarsMickey 2012Mickey 2012Old Key WestHalloween - MNSSHP
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, But by the moments that take our breaths away!

If you can dream it, You can do it!

Kris315 is offline Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    Animal Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Carousel of Progress
    Favorite Parade
    MNSSHP Parade
    Favorite Character
    Minnie Mouse
    Credits

I did a similar exercise after i returned last trip - it was a little cheaper not to do DP and we did a few character meals. The amount of food given at counter service on DP is more than I ever eat - I barely ever ate my dessert - but I do feel if you are going with a group or a large party the DP is great because you don't have to settle up the bill - it takes the same credit from everyone - all you worry about is the tip so

Kris315's Lanyard
    TinkHalloween - MNSSHPWilderness Lodge

nicolafred is offline Mousketeer
    Credits

On the UK we get great deals on the DDP that it works out incredibly cheaper to take advantage.

In 2010 we stayed at pop and paid for all our food. We spent around $1200 for the 2 weeks on food.

The price for us to upgrade to a mod and thus get free dining plan - well upgrade from quick ( quick service is offered at mods and DDP is offered at deluxe in the uk ) the cost was around £400 which was at the time around $600 so we lost out.

When we did the DDP last year we ate at some amazing restaurants and signature meals which we would ordinarily avoid because of price.

We are doing 3 weeks on the DDP staying at port Orleans riverside ( upgraded from quick ) in sept/oct 2013 and I can't wait!!!!

I, however would never pay for ddp unless you plan on eating at lots of expensive restaurants.

Hope that helps!

Dismom is offline Imagineer
    Favorite Park
    Epcot - World showcase
    Favorite Attraction
    All of it.
    Favorite Character
    Mickey & Minnie, Tink
    Credits

I have felt that the cost of the DDP might be getting to the point where it might be not the good deal it once was. But, for me the convience of not having to worry about the price side of the menu and did I bring enough cash to last to the end of my trip is still something I am willing to get the DDP. That being said, I have also been fortunate enough that for the last several trips I have gotten free DDP and anticipate that for my next trip things being what they are will hopefully be the same as Disney has a history of offering free dining during the time I am planning. However, I will consider QS DDP if necessasary and pay OOP for table service if it comes to that as I would still want to do a couple traditional table service.

Have a Mickey Mouse Day!, Dot

July 1983 - Off site Camping; July 2000 - All Star Movies; December 2007 - All Star Music; Sep/Oct 2009 - Pop Century; May/June 2011 - POFQ; Apr/May 2011 Pop Century

Mike0510 is offline Cast Member
    Credits

There are deals to be had from the UK. For instance, we are there late Sept early Oct for 21 nights and have free DDP as part of the package. Fantastic offer as it opens up all different experiences than the usual burger and fries in the parks, for instance we use a couple of table credits on Mickeys Backyard BBQ.

We also store up the snacks and the use them during Epcots food and wine festival. We eat a sample at each of the Countries throughout our stay without paying (apart from the beer and wine!).

If we have a few table credits left before we leave ( due to visiting other parks etc) we order room service near the end of the holiday as these cost 2 table services.

galaga_girl is offline Senior Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    Magic Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Mickey's Philharmagic
    Favorite Parade
    Once Upon A Dream
    Favorite Character
    Pluto
    Credits

If the dining plan wasn't free for us then I would not purchase it. We usually eat at counter service anyway so it would be WAY more expensive to purchase the DDP.
    It really depends on the individual as to whether it works out cheaper or not based on the restaurants you choose and the food you eat.

---------------------------
    ºoº
    Honeymooning at WDW in Sept 2012!

Disneymouse872 is offline Cast Member
    Experimental Protoype Community Of Tommarrow
    Favorite Park
    Magic kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    EE, SM, SM, TT
    Favorite Character
    Nemo or Simba
    Credits

I think having the dinning plan saves you a lot of money!! Especially if you eat at the Dinner shows or Character dinning where meals can cost like $20 for a steak and you get it for "free" with the dinning plan!*When I say free I mean you get it with the one time payment of $400 something dollars! Because the money can add up and at the end of the day you get you spend 400 dollars (DP) as oppose to 600 dollars (no DP)
    This is my 100th post!!

“Yes, frosting. The final defense of the dying.”-Peeta,The Hunger Games

cbonvillain48 is offline Cast Member In Training
    Credits

Is the ddp really worth the money??

Favorite Park
    Epcot - World showcase
    Favorite Attraction
    All of it.
    Favorite Character
    Mickey & Minnie, Tink
    Credits

Another point I would like to make is that when I decide what ADR's I am planning I also have looked at the menus, based on this I pretty much know what I am likely to order checking the price, this helps me know how much to plan for tips. I prepare a tip envelope for each ADR before I leave home with the approximate amount needed. Then carry enough cash to add as needed when I see the bill at the end of the meal, but have the bulk taken care of already with my planning at home since I do not like to carry cash and I do so like the idea that my meal cost is already taken care of. I also like making my tip envelopes as they are very decorative indeed.

Just part of the planning process for me and I enjoy this.

July 1983 - Off site Camping; July 2000 - All Star Movies; December 2007 - All Star Music; Sep/Oct 2009 - Pop Century; May/June 2011 - POFQ; Apr/May 2011 Pop Century

MINI Mouse is offline Imagineer
    Favorite Park
    Epcot, but they are all really close to my hart
    Favorite Attraction
    Test Track
    Credits

I would not pay for a Diningplan.
    Due to the free diningplans, you have to make all your ADR's in advance. As we are going for 2 weeks, there would be no room for changing our plans. Plus, with the Diningplan you get entree and desert, and I prefer appetizer and entree (and than maybe some desert if we have some room left )

In november we have the free QS Diningplan and ofcourse I love that, as It's ... Free
    We had it also last year and I love to get great food and don't need to pay for it
    But I would also not pay for QS, same reason, no desert wanted

Last edited by Winkster; 05-04-2012 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Smilies removed - site rules request max 2 per post. Thanks!
    MINI Mouse's Lanyard
    Cruise Line Palm TreesMickey Cruise LineHalloween - MNSSHPHalloween - MinnieWalt Dsney World
    Looking forward to our Disney vacations

Winkster is offline Administrator

Favorite Park
    EPCOT
    Favorite Attraction
    ToT or the TTA
    Favorite Parade
    Tapestry of Nations (old)
    Credits

I'm with MINI Mouse on this one. We much prefer appetisers and rarely eat desserts to the DDP would be a waste of money - why pay for something you don't want and give up something you do want instead?

Also, it's far too restrictive for us. I don't want to book all my meals 6 months in advance - that's crazy! I also don't want to eat all my meals in WDW - in fact we like eating outside if WDW because it's...

1 Often cheaper
    2 Usually better
    3 Doesn't need an ADR 6 months out

I'll take a free DDP if it's offered (who wouldn't?) but even then, we double up all the credits and have a blow out on signature dining so we can still enjoy eating outside of WDW for the rest of the trip.

Winkster's Lanyard
    Hollywood StudiosDowntown DisneyEpcotMickey PlutoCarousel of ProgressSpace mountainPeoplemoverMonorail Pilot WingsBig ThunderPort Orleans
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Favorite Park
    Epcot - World showcase
    Favorite Attraction
    All of it.
    Favorite Character
    Mickey & Minnie, Tink
    Credits

Since I am navigationally challenged, I never eat off property, I make one and only one trip off property after check in and that I use my GPS for and that is to go to Wal Mart to get some fresh produce to munch on, and cheap souvies for the folks back home. Then it is park the car and take Disney transportation the whole time. So in short the DDP makes life simple for me and I enjoy the planning of the ADR's, but to each his own. I would like to someday have the option of either the appitizer or the desert, but heck I am on vacation and I will most likely take the desert.

I also use the snack credit all on the last day, I get snacks for the neighbor kids back home. With all the deserts I don't really snack during the day and the kids love the treat at home. Except for the Dole whip, get one of those. I make sure to carry water, but usually get that free.

Disneymouse872 is offline Cast Member
    Experimental Protoype Community Of Tommarrow
    Favorite Park
    Magic kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    EE, SM, SM, TT
    Favorite Character
    Nemo or Simba
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by MINI Mouse
    I would not pay for a Diningplan.
    Due to the free diningplans, you have to make all your ADR's in advance. As we are going for 2 weeks, there would be no room for changing our plans. Plus, with the Diningplan you get entree and desert, and I prefer appetizer and entree (and than maybe some desert if we have some room left )

In november we have the free QS Diningplan and ofcourse I love that, as It's ... Free
    We had it also last year and I love to get great food and don't need to pay for it
    But I would also not pay for QS, same reason, no desert wanted
    Actually, if you ask most of the time the waiter would allow you to substitute! And if you don't want the dessert you can say you don't want and they don't make you get one! But in the long run if you plan on eating only in Disney then it's worth it with or without the dessert!

“Yes, frosting. The final defense of the dying.”-Peeta,The Hunger Games

Shendl is offline Junior Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    Magic Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Big Thunder Mountain
    Favorite Character
    Tinkerbell
    Credits

I am so torn between booking the plan or not!!! The convenience is Great not having to carry too much cash.....but is the cost really worth it - especially if you can maybe share a meal?
    haven't been to WDW since 2004 so not sure how big the meals are now....

Shendl's Lanyard
    Port Orleans

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast