Almost a meltdown
Instant Impressions Header
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Can't Wait is offline Mousketeer
    Credits

Almost a meltdown

Just wondering if anybody has something different they do when they see a MELTDOWN coming from a grown up with them.

My family ha only been to Disbeyland 3 or 4 times and the first WDW this Oct, If I can see the meltdown begining early enough with my husband or the teenagers, or if they see me, we always in a very stern voice say
    "WE ARE AT THE HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH, YOU WILL BE HAPPY, AND YOU WILL LIKE IT!!!"

And then the laughs always start rolling as we remember hearing these exact words on our first trip being said. We do it now and it reminds of how ridiculous it sounded then, and I am sure it does now, but we do it on purpose.

We like to say at the zoo, city fair anything that can be overwhelming and tiring. It sure does bring laughs. Geez guys look around and enjoy all the fun, and the pure joy on not just the kids faces but the adults too!

2. You May Also Like....

Sponsored Links

Winkster is offline Administrator

Favorite Park
    EPCOT
    Favorite Attraction
    ToT or the TTA
    Favorite Parade
    Tapestry of Nations (old)
    Credits

Re: Almost a meltdown

LOL - I like it!

Oddly, we've haven't had a "meltdown" during our last two trips which, considering we have 17 nights living in each other's pockets in that kind of heat and humidity is quite impressive (well I think it is anyway! ).

Even before that, it was only minor "niggles" - disagreements which, as you say, are usually about nothing so disappear pretty quickly once we get things into perspective.

Winkster's Lanyard
    Hollywood StudiosDowntown DisneyEpcotMickey PlutoCarousel of ProgressSpace mountainPeoplemoverMonorail Pilot WingsBig ThunderPort Orleans
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

englanddg is offline Senior Imagineer
    Favorite Park
    EPCOT
    Favorite Attraction
    Haunted Mansion
    Favorite Parade
    Main Street Electrical
    Favorite Character
    Goofy
    Credits

I am probably the one who might have thrown a "tantrum" last year when I went with another adult (my ex) for the second week (the first week was just me and the kid). The ex had never been to Disney before, and she treated it like Six Flags. It drove me absolutely nuts, and I felt myself getting frustrated several times during our trip. Even my kid, who knows how to do Disney by now, felt it, and asked me (and her mom) if it could just be "me and Daddy" next time.

As horrible as that sounds, it makes sense. My ex slept in until 1-2pm pretty much every day ("It's my vacation" she said) and didn't get rolling until 4pm, and by then, most of the day was burned. I don't mind that she slept in, but if I took the kid and the 10 year old uncle out, my ex would get upset with us for "doing things without her". If you sleep in and miss things, how is that "our" fault???

My ex still had a blast, and I'm glad we shared the experience, and I'm glad that our daughter shared it with us, and there were many amazing memories (like my kid seeing her mom in front of the Castle, not knowing she would be there, right before Wishes)...but I won't be inviting her again anytime soon. It reminded me of why I left her, and it was everything I could do not to chew her out.

Last edited by englanddg; 07-16-2012 at 04:03 AM.
    englanddg's Lanyard
    Mickey Cruise LineMonorailMickey GearsMonorail Pilot Wings LEHorizons
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLC | 2013 - Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ

disneymama2000 is offline Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    Disneyland Resort
    Favorite Attraction
    Grizzly River Run
    Favorite Parade
    Electrical Parade
    Favorite Character
    Donald Duck
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by englanddg View Post
    I am probably the one who might have thrown a "tantrum" last year when I went with another adult (my ex) for the second week (the first week was just me and the kid). The ex had never been to Disney before, and she treated it like Six Flags. It drove me absolutely nuts, and I felt myself getting frustrated several times during our trip. Even my kid, who knows how to do Disney by now, felt it, and asked me (and her mom) if it could just be "me and Daddy" next time.

As horrible as that sounds, it makes sense. My ex slept in until 1-2pm pretty much every day ("It's my vacation" she said) and didn't get rolling until 4pm, and by then, most of the day was burned. I don't mind that she slept in, but if I took the kid and the 10 year old uncle out, my ex would get upset with us for "doing things without her". If you sleep in and miss things, how is that "our" fault???

My ex still had a blast, and I'm glad we shared the experience, and I'm glad that our daughter shared it with us, and there were many amazing memories (like my kid seeing her mom in front of the Castle, not knowing she would be there, right before Wishes)...but I won't be inviting her again anytime soon. It reminded me of why I left her, and it was everything I could do not to chew her out.
    I can definitely relate to that...ex's ohhh my yeah that's a story in itself really, but who i they're right mind would sleep in knowing that they are at Disney???[replacer_img]

Disney addict for life

Favorite Park
    EPCOT
    Favorite Attraction
    ToT or the TTA
    Favorite Parade
    Credits

If you sleep in and miss things, how is that "our" fault???
    I agree - difficult situation but I'd definitely have done the same thing as you. Why should you miss out?

Great new pin by the way!

Winkster's Lanyard
    Hollywood StudiosDowntown DisneyEpcotMickey PlutoCarousel of ProgressSpace mountainPeoplemoverMonorail Pilot WingsBig ThunderPort Orleans
    Just a dream away!

Curious Alice is offline TalkDisney Team

Favorite Park
    Epcot
    Favorite Attraction
    ToT, Soarin
    Favorite Character
    Alice
    Credits

The ex had never been to Disney before, and she treated it like Six Flags.
    Interesting statement! What did she do? How did she treat it like Six Flags?

Years ago I went to WDW with a friend who was soooo slow at getting ready, then when I finally got her out of the room she had to have coffee out by the hotel pool for an hour before heading to the park. It was so frustrating!

My DH doesn't like getting up early, but he's been getting better about it and wakes up as early as 9am now. I hope to get him to morning EMH one day.

As far as meltdowns go, I'm the meltdown person. I have at least one good meltdown on every trip. I think I'll give "WE ARE AT THE HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH, YOU WILL BE HAPPY, AND YOU WILL LIKE IT!!!" to my DH so he can try it on me.

Curious Alice's Lanyard
    Mad Tea PartyMad Tea PartyAlice
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13

Can't Wait is offline Mousketeer
    Credits

Curious Alice that usually will diffuse a situation quickly, if not then at least the people around who hear it always get a good laugh and a new memory. HaHa!

Tinker Britt is offline Senior Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    Epcot
    Favorite Attraction
    Thunder Mountain
    Favorite Parade
    Fantasy and Spectro Magic
    Favorite Character
    Tinkerbell & Mickey Mouse
    Credits

Great advice! I had a meltdown last time I planned a trip for my boyfriend and his family! I made reservations for the Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show one night and at Cinderella's Royal Table another night and planned what parks to go to each day but other than that I wanted to play by ear which restaurants to eat at each night and they wondered why I hadn't reserved more...it made me run to the bathroom and cry because I felt like I had planned so much and they were asking for more...then I thought
    THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST VACATION EVER WITH MY WONDERFUL BOYFRIEND AND FAMILY and everything was good All smiles...I called Disney Dining and we got into the California Grill in the same night!

Tinker Britt's Lanyard
    Grand FloridianMary PoppinsWalt Dsney WorldLady and the TrampMickey and Minnie on Dumbo
    "Faith is a bluebird you see from a far. It's for real and as sure as the first evening star"
    Magical Disney Trips circa 1989
    1991*1994*1997*2003*2011*2013

Favorite Park
    Disneyland Resort
    Favorite Attraction
    Grizzly River Run
    Favorite Parade
    Electrical Parade
    Favorite Character
    Donald Duck
    Credits

Meltdown is the word definitely..well we went to DLR last year and we were walking towards POTC ride, to get a seat for Fantasmic. And all of a sudden I hear my cousin say "OUCH WHAT THE" I looked back to see what happen and she was on the ground. I asked what happened and she said some old man in an electric wheelchair ran into her and kept on going without even saying sorry or are you ok. Hmmm I guess even hit n runs can happen at happiest place on earth.

Disney addict for life

Tinker Britt is offline Senior Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    Epcot
    Favorite Attraction
    Thunder Mountain
    Favorite Parade
    Fantasy and Spectro Magic
    Favorite Character
    Tinkerbell & Mickey Mouse
    Credits

Those scooter riders are nuts! They take over the parks sometimes! When you are trying to get around them, you can't! My sister had a meltdown about them when she went during the holidays a few years ago and they were everywhere!

Tinker Britt's Lanyard
    Grand FloridianMary PoppinsWalt Dsney WorldLady and the TrampMickey and Minnie on Dumbo
    "Faith is a bluebird you see from a far. It's for real and as sure as the first evening star"
    Magical Disney Trips circa 1989
    1991*1994*1997*2003*2011*2013

Favorite Park
    Disneyland Resort
    Favorite Attraction
    Grizzly River Run
    Favorite Parade
    Electrical Parade
    Favorite Character
    Donald Duck
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Britt View Post
    Those scooter riders are nuts! They take over the parks sometimes! When you are trying to get around them, you can't! My sister had a meltdown about them when she went during the holidays a few years ago and they were everywhere!

Invasion of the electric scooters...oh my I hear that!!

Disney addict for life

englanddg is offline Senior Imagineer
    Favorite Park
    EPCOT
    Favorite Attraction
    Haunted Mansion
    Favorite Parade
    Main Street Electrical
    Favorite Character
    Goofy
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by Winkster View Post
    I agree - difficult situation but I'd definitely have done the same thing as you. Why should you miss out?

Great new pin by the way!

Thank you. I shopped for quite a while, and I liked this one the most and thought it would be a good first pin.

My ex and I get along fine, we just can't live together. She's far too relaxed and very self-centered. I don't care if she's relaxed and self-centered, but when she wants the whole group to cater to her erratic schedule, I really didn't think that was fair. I just kept a lot of it inside, but it was the first time at Disney I'd felt stressed at all. I began to understand how some families just don't enjoy it. Then I'd stop, and think, it's Disney, liven up! And go about my day.

Quote Originally Posted by Curious Alice View Post
    Interesting statement! What did she do? How did she treat it like Six Flags?
    It's a personal phrase of mine I use to describe people who think that Disney is like a Six Flags park, where you rush in, hit all the major rides, buy a t-shirt and leave.

That's just not how I feel about Disney. Part of the magic of a Disney trip for me is just walking around the parks and doing things as I please, rather then trying to cram the whole park into one day or a few hours.

We talked about it a few months after the trip, and she admitted that, were she to do it again, she would do it differently. She didn't realize exactly how *much* there is to do. None of this would have frustrated me if she hadn't also gotten upset when I would take the kids out while she slept in. Heck, I thought I was doing her a favor! I surely didn't want to sit in the hotel with a restless 6 year old and 10 year old while she slept in the next room! (We had two rooms)

Last edited by englanddg; 07-16-2012 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    englanddg's Lanyard
    Mickey Cruise LineMonorailMickey GearsMonorail Pilot Wings LEHorizons
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLC | 2013 - Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ

Favorite Park
    EPCOT
    Favorite Attraction
    ToT or the TTA
    Favorite Parade
    Credits

she admitted that, were she to do it again, she would do it differently.
    I think that's the thing - the more you go, the more you learn to refine your trip and tweak how you do things so it gets better and better.

I think the reason we don't have meltdowns any more (famous last words?) is that we've learned what causes them and learned to avoid them.

Maybe!

Winkster's Lanyard
    Just a dream away!

Curious Alice is offline TalkDisney Team

Favorite Park
    Epcot
    Favorite Attraction
    ToT, Soarin
    Favorite Character
    Alice
    Credits

t's a personal phrase of mine I use to describe people who think that Disney is like a Six Flags park, where you rush in, hit all the major rides, buy a t-shirt and leave.
    So many people are like that! We like to stop and look at the little details. I've gotten quite a few stares from people who were either annoyed or thought I was crazy when I went to lift the mat at Muppets 3D to look at the key. I'm fascinated by the fact that they don't even care to see what I'm looking at! These are the same people who miss all the fun sight gags all over the entrance and waiting area of this attraction and stand by the doors waiting to get into the theater.

Curious Alice's Lanyard
    Mad Tea PartyMad Tea PartyAlice
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13

Favorite Park
    Disneyland Resort
    Favorite Attraction
    Grizzly River Run
    Favorite Parade
    Electrical Parade
    Favorite Character
    Donald Duck
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by Curious Alice View Post
    So many people are like that! We like to stop and look at the little details. I've gotten quite a few stares from people who were either annoyed or thought I was crazy when I went to lift the mat at Muppets 3D to look at the key. I'm fascinated by the fact that they don't even care to see what I'm looking at! These are the same people who miss all the fun sight gags all over the entrance and waiting area of this attraction and stand by the doors waiting to get into the theater.
    I agree, there are so many details all throughout the parks,that don't really get looked at or appreciated. And it's those details that ultimately make the attraction what it is![replacer_img]

Disney addict for life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast