Rude CM on hollywood studios/boardwalk boat
DVC Resales Started
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mr&MrsWoody is offline Cast Member
    Credits

Rude CM on hollywood studios/boardwalk boat

Can't actually believe that a CM could be so rude - do you think I should contact Disney?

A family, who were in WDW for the first time, were on the bus back straight after Fantasmic had finished. They had never been on the boat before an I could here them having a disagreement about where the boat went. The Captain made his regular announcement about the bus not going to Epcot and the family seemed content with where they were heading.

About 5 minutes afterwards when we were dropping off at The Swan, the dad sent his son to ask the Captain a question, i saw the captain shake his head and as the son came back the Captain used his microphone to say and laugh "Not even close, not within 8miles of these lakes!" as the son made his way back down the other people on the bus were asking if he wanted to go to Magic Kingdom and advised him that if he got off there at The Swan, he could get a bus to MK.

The Dad then went to talk to the Captain and asked him if and where he could get a bus to MK from The Swan! The captain laughed, said yes and shrugged that he didn't know where the bus was from. The Dad walked to the back of the boat to his family and said they were getting off. As he was talking and walking the captain said "you'll have to get off the front of the boat because the back has been locked already!" they didn't hear and all preceded to try and walk out of the back so over the microphone and very sarcastically he said again "you'll have to get off the front of the boat because the back has been locked already!" The mum said "how were we supposed to know that?!" and the dad replied "because he whispered it and so we should know!" as they walked off the CM laughed and over his microphone "now, does everyone else on my boat no where they are going?!"

There were quite a few raises eyebrows about all of this and I was chatting with my husband about how rude he had been to the family who didn't know where they were going!

When the bus pulled up at the boardwalk most of the people, including us (we were sat right at the back) got off the boat and a lady in front of us told the CM that he had been extremely rude to the family telling him that it was there first time and they only wanted to know how to get to where they wanted to be! He replied that he had told them twice. She again said "you were very very rude!" and then as she had gone out of earshot but some of the other passengers hadn't - I was stood exactly at the side of him - he said "Go to hell!"

I can't believe that a CM would act and speak so unreasonably to and about people?!?! This is completely in contrast to every other CM I have encountered at WDW and wondered if anyone thought I should report it?! x

2. You May Also Like....

Sponsored Links

JeffsPrincess is offline Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    Magic Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Space Mountian
    Favorite Character
    Minnie Mouse
    Credits

I think you should, CMs are supposed to be friendly and helpful not jerks that make you feel silly on a very expensive trip that may be a one and only for some families. On our first trip we asked for help several times and were kindly directly to where we needed to be, I feel horrible for that family.

JeffsPrincess's Lanyard
    Mickey 2012
    Kristin
    Wife to Jeffrey
    Mom to Jay & Jack

Credits

What about the go to hell comment too? x

txmomx2 is offline Junior Cast Member
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by Mr&MrsWoody
    What about the go to hell comment too? x
    Sarcasm aside, that comment is uncalled for and inappropriate no matter where you work. I would think that Disney of all places would want to address this issue with the party involved.

Freshee61 is online now TalkDisney Team

Favorite Park
    Magic Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Dinosaur
    Favorite Parade
    Villains mnsshp
    Favorite Character
    Lewis Robinson
    Credits

I say you definitely should take this concern to customer service. his supervisors have to know what went on so they can talk with him.
    He needs to be reminded that his job is voluntary and if he doesn't like he needs to find himself another one.

Freshee61's Lanyard
    Christmas - Haunted Mansion HolidayLady and the TrampSpace mountainArial and Prince Eric in Clam ShellHalloween - MinnieTower of TerrorPhilharmagicIts a small worldHaunted Mansion
    Frying pans! Who knew, right!?

Talk Disney Moderator

Click here to become a Premium

Shadow Jedi Rhy is offline TalkDisney Team

Favorite Park
    Epcot
    Favorite Attraction
    Journey Into Imagination
    Favorite Character
    Figment
    Credits

Re: Rude CM on hollywood studios/boardwalk boat

Seems like not the best day for anyone involved. That being said he probably does have the right to ask the guests not to exit the back of the boat if they are partially docked, particularly if it's a safety issue. If you do report the incident remember to be as precise as possible with name, and time and exactly what went on.

Shadow Jedi Rhy's Lanyard
    Epcot - Universe Of EnergyEpcot - Living SeasEpcot - Journey Into Imagination
    Go Noles! Ryan

Winkster is offline Administrator

Favorite Park
    EPCOT
    Favorite Attraction
    ToT or the TTA
    Favorite Parade
    Tapestry of Nations (old)
    Credits

I'd personally report it only if it offended me to the point where I felt I had to.

If it was an incident between two people that I'd just overheard and which didn't cause offence that I'd consider it not my place to get involved.

If the CM's actions offended you, I say report it. If not, leave the other family to report it.

Winkster's Lanyard
    Hollywood StudiosDowntown DisneyEpcotMickey PlutoCarousel of ProgressSpace mountainPeoplemoverMonorail Pilot WingsBig ThunderPort Orleans
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

englanddg is offline Senior Imagineer
    Favorite Park
    EPCOT
    Favorite Attraction
    Haunted Mansion
    Favorite Parade
    Main Street Electrical
    Favorite Character
    Goofy
    Credits

I agree with Winkster. I'd leave it alone unless they were personally rude to you.

englanddg's Lanyard
    Mickey Cruise LineMonorailMickey GearsMonorail Pilot Wings LEHorizons
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLC | 2013 - Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ

Credits

But it wasn't just that he was rude to that family - it was how he kept it going and was laughing, using the microphone so that everyone knew what was going off when really no-one should have known about it - and then that comment to the lady at the end (which no-one heard apart from me and my hubby).

X

Oh and I understand the exiting the boat bit too, it was the way that he said it - the poor family siding know where to look!

Last edited by Mr&MrsWoody; 08-18-2012 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

englanddg is offline Senior Imagineer
    Favorite Park
    EPCOT
    Favorite Attraction
    Haunted Mansion
    Favorite Parade
    Main Street Electrical
    Favorite Character
    Goofy
    Credits

That's not the point. Unless it's a personal complaint, it really won't catch much weight with a complaints department that I'm sure has heard everything. The story would require specifics and first hand indignation to hold water.

Imagine having to listen all day to people complain about everything from the fact that it rained on their special vacation to the fact that they were upset that the bus driver was rude.

I'll give you an example, there's a guy staying at Pop with me right now that I've run into a few times. I call him Walker Rental Bob. I've run into him at the resort, and a few times on the bus, and every time he seems like he's generally upset.

I witnessed him at Hollywood Studios a few nights ago trying to get on the bus (he has a rental scooter from Walker, hence the nickname), and the bus driver had just let on two people who were in line before he rolled up and secured them on the bus. Now, the busses only have room for two handicap individuals, but Walker Bob wasn't hearing that.

He rolled up to the bus stop as the driver was retracting the ramp, and obviously wanted to know why. Then he got out of the scooter, and obviously wasn't comfortable walking, so I understand why he uses it, but he walked from the rear entrance of the bus to the front entrance where the driver had started letting in regular guests. He cut off the line, and complained. The driver politely replied that he had already let on all the GAC guests that he could (not using lingo like I just did), and that another bus would be along shortly to assist him. Walker Bob argued with him for a few moments, and then went back to his scooter, which he drove around to the back of the bus to get the bus number. He then scooted off.

My kid and I didn't make that bus, so I was able to observe him returning with what I assume was a manager/coordinator, and complaining loudly the whole way about how "Disney didn't do him right".

The manager was explaining that the standard busses only have room for 2, and if he needed special transportation that could be arranged, but needed to be done so in advance. Walker Bob wasn't hearing it.

He got on the next bus, and frumped the whole way back to the hotel.

I've seen this behaviour repeatedly from him, as I ran into him at the Pop and AoA food courts with his family. I'm sure he's just in pain or exhausted, so I really haven't mentioned him at all...

But, imagine Walker Bob telling the story to his mid-30s son, who then calls Disney to complain about how terribly he's treated.

There are always two sides to these sorts of stories, and frankly before you complain you should think "how would I have reacted if I'd been the Cast Member", rather then taking immediate offense. A complaint might be dismissed, but it might also ruin someone's bread and butter.

I would never suggest that you shouldn't complain if the incident was terrible, that's not my point. It's just that sometimes impression and reality are two different things.

Just my opinion.

englanddg's Lanyard
    Mickey Cruise LineMonorailMickey GearsMonorail Pilot Wings LEHorizons
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLC | 2013 - Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ

Credits

What more specifics could I give? And it's not an impression - nobody told me about this I was sat there watching it and he said "go to hell" in my ear. Now I am a teacher and do you think that I would be allowed to speak to a child or a parent like that? I wouldn't want to because I am more professional than that and I would certainly and justifiably reprimanded about it! I've had worse directed at me in many jobs but as the person who is being paid to be there I have always handled the situation with care. He certainly wasn't wishing anyone a magical day that night!

Favorite Park
    EPCOT
    Favorite Attraction
    ToT or the TTA
    Favorite Parade
    Credits

His honest impression could be completely different though.

He could argue that they'd sent a kid for directions (let's face it, that's never a great idea especially - as in this case - if the answer is more complicated than you expected). The dad went back to clarify, got his answer but them didn't hear the captain trying to point out the right exit (I note that you heard him so maybe the captain hadn't whispered quite so much as the dad claimed).

The captain HAD to then use the microphone to stop the family trying to exit through a locked door but in doing so, he unknowingly upset the family who were embarrassed by getting the wrong door and then not hearing the captain the first time.

The captain then made an ill-advised joke, not realising how the family were feeling. All he saw was the family looking annoyed at (as far as he knew) not being able to get where they wanted on his boat - which gave him the impression they were whiners.

Next thing, someone else is sticking their nose in when all the captain was trying to do was to help - and, feeling annoyed, he made a silly and ill-advised comment under his breath which nobody was meant to hear - but you (and only you) heard. And let's face it, we've all moaned about someone at work before!

I'm not saying that happened (how could I - I wasn't there!) but that COULD be how the captain saw it. That's what I think Englanddg means when talking about "impressions".

If I thought it was clear-cut enough to warrant a complaint, I'd have done so straight away. You're asking here however we can't really help you as we weren't there.

The fact you haven't complained already and that you're asking for opinions here however suggests that it may not be that clear cut and therefore possibly not appropriate to complain in this instance.

Last edited by Winkster; 08-18-2012 at 07:04 AM.
    Winkster's Lanyard
    Hollywood StudiosDowntown DisneyEpcotMickey PlutoCarousel of ProgressSpace mountainPeoplemoverMonorail Pilot WingsBig ThunderPort Orleans
    Just a dream away!

Credits

She again said "you were very very rude!" and then as she had gone out of earshot but some of the other passengers hadn't - I was stood exactly at the side of him - he said "Go to hell!"
    It wasn't under his breath at all!!

I understand what you are saying and I was here asking for opinions - I was just trying to clarify them!

Favorite Park
    EPCOT
    Favorite Attraction
    ToT or the TTA
    Favorite Parade
    Credits

and then that comment to the lady at the end (which no-one heard apart from me and my hubby).
    But obviously not loud enough for anyone else to hear?

If he told a guest directly to go to hell then the guest should be complaining. As I mentioned before, if you were offended by the CM then you should complain. I personally just don't think you should feel offended on behalf of someone else if you weren't directly involved.

If you feel the CM's comments did involve you, for whatever reason, then complain.

Last edited by Winkster; 08-18-2012 at 07:57 AM.
    Winkster's Lanyard
    Just a dream away!

Credits

Thank you for your opinion!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast