Talk Disney-Musicals - Page 3
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Really? I thought that the songs convinced travers to give disney permission to make the movie.
    Tom

Click here to vote for Talk Disney

She wasn't happy with the project and only gave the blessing under some duress. She approved of Julie Andrews once Walt saw her on Broadway in Camelot and was enchanted enough by of all things...her whistling skills in "What do the simple folk do?" and wanted her on the spot. P.L. Approved of a proper British actress for the role as well as the other major roles. (She was NOT amused with Dick Vandike. )
    ~o~ MouseMan ~o~ TD Admin ~o~

And from the moment walt got the permission, he just completely ignored her and her ideas !

(or so I read)
    Tom

Pretty much. But keep in mind. P.L. wanted her characters to be represented as she created them...in print. Walt was creating for another medium..and I think he did just fine!

Well so do I!
    Tom

HOw about King Louie, and I wanna be like you oooooo!!! That song is just plain FUN!

Have you ever heard the version by Big Bad VooDoo Daddy? Too cool!
    You've got to be kidding me!?

Great fun...and there's a prime example of a musical version of a classic that at first seemd odd to a lot of people, but now, just hum "Bare Necessities" near anyone who enjoys Disney, and watch them join in!

Will "Little Mermaid" go to broardway?
    Jamie

Be brave , be strong , be real , be you - Me

Sweet 16

"Keep On Keeping on"- Lorna Luft to me

Yes. Mathew Bourne, ballet master from England, well known for his versions of "Cinderella" and "Swan Lake" is re-concieving and directing it. No dates set yet, but the production is in the concept/design stage.

*is so happy she's sppechless*
    Jamie

Be brave , be strong , be real , be you - Me

Sweet 16

"Keep On Keeping on"- Lorna Luft to me

And what about Aida? Anyone got any thoughts on that one? I've got the CD (original broadway cast) and it sounds rather good.
    Tom

Eh... It's not my cup of tea. There are those who swear by it. I would have prefered seeing this animated.

What's that? Aida Animated? Surely you jest!

Nope...I don't. Originally conceived of as a possible animated feature during the process of creating Hunchback, this would have made a pretty exciting film! The crowd scenes in Hunchback would have been really expanded for several major crowd scenes in the original Aida story. This posibility seemed to be a rather odd choice for an animated feature...but after Hunchback..what the heck? And it would have been the first major studio's animated feature, featuring an african as it's lead/title character as well as the situation of slavery between the nubians and the egyptians. Truly heavy stuff! And with the technical advancements at the time to create the feature, excitement was pretty high for the project.

However, instead of going the cinema to stage route...they chose to go directly to stage in Atlanta with this world premiere of Elaborate Lives: Aida. Thanks to a major design flaw with their basic set...a pyramid which reconfigured and shifted like a large Rubik's cube...continuously broke down and failed to function. The show was rethought/reworked/redesigned/recast before it's trek to New York.

There are some fun numbers like "My Strongest Suit" (Which is the funniest and yet completely wrong song I've ever experieinced) as well as mega-ballads like "The Gods Love Nubia" & "Easey as Life",etc. I find the production to be too close in feel to Lion King 1 & 2 with the John/Rice scores for me to get involved. (Those who have seen it will understand what I'm saying in this regard.) There's a lot of musical parallels throughout the score that remind one of Lion King constantly. Thgere's even a form of "Be Prepared" for the father and his "minions" in goth-like blackleather robes...truly an odd show.

The overall production is trying to appeal to the MTV crowd, and for them..it works. But as a calssic Broadway musical...it is not. It's book is awkward, it's transitions and emotions are forced to concert pitch and to be honest...Aida, the story of the original opera has indeed been musicalised om Broadway before this production, and though not a smash hit, did well enough even though critics at that time said that the subject matter is not one for the musical stage.

With Disney Theatrics ramping up on several other productions eyeing the great white way...I would venture to say that Aida is one of their productions that will close so as to allow the future Disney theatrics to continue.

You know I've never seen Aida, heard the music or knew the story...
    You've got to be kidding me!?

Not even the opera in any form? Almost everyone has heard the famous "Triumphal March."

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast