DL Hotel trip 5/19-24

DL Hotel trip 5/19-24

We just got back from our trip to DL. Boy! What a great trip it was! I would have to say that it was probably our best trip yet. We stayed at the DL Hotel and had concierge service which was really nice. I think we will have to do it again. We were on the 9th floor of the Sierra tower and had a pool view.

My brother was getting married in Las Vegas on Sat the 17th, so on the 19th we drove down to Anaheim. We had kind of a late start and the parks were closing kind of early so we decided to not go to the parks that day, but shopped in Downtown Disney. We took my Mom on the trip as a Mother's Day/Birthday present. She needed the trip after a stressful wedding too. My bother and his new wife came too for a couple days as part of their honeymoon, but they had their own room at another hotel. They commented when we got back to Vegas that the Disney part of their honeymoon turned out to be the best part as San Diego wasn't what they thought it would be and their hotel there wasn't very nice.

We took my Mom to the World of Disney and introduced her to pin trading. She got hooked- line and sinker! I couldn't believe how she got into it and started buying pins right and left the whole trip and even traded for a few with a little help. It was nice too as my pin collection grew a little during the trip! That night we ate at the PCH Grill at Paradise Pier Hotel. We were celebrating my Mom's and my daughter's birthday this trip, so they both got a signed picture of Mickey and the gang in front of the castle.

On Tuesday we went to DCA. It wasn't very crowded, but I noticed this trip that both parks were more crowded than last time in November. It was also a lot hotter as I was sweating a lot and got sunburned, but still enjoyed myself. We drank lots of water. At DCA we split up and got fastpasses to Soarin' and GRR. There was no line for GRR, so ran on it too. I hadn't noticed before all the theming on the ride. I think it is great. We then met up with the rest of the group in a Bug's Land. My daughter was now big enough to ride GRR and the bumper cars in a Bug's Land. This was exciting! We went on some bug rides then went on Soarin'. My Mom, brother and Sister-in-law loved it. It is such a fun ride everytime I go on it. We then went on GRR and my daughter got soaked - literally soaked! She didn't like that too much. Her facial expression was timeless. To dry off we went to the challenge trail and watched the Chip n Dale show. We then ate lunch on the wharf. After lunch we went out to Paradise Pier and rode all the rides. CA Screamin' was awesome. I really hadn't noticed the soundtrack before. The new countdown does kind of take away from the surprise of the take off. My Mom freaked out on the Sun Wheel when our car started moving. The DD had fun getting wet in the little water puddle park places on the west side. We shopped and just had a good time. We wanted to take our time this trip and relax. At night we went over to DL and went on Small World before closing. We had one of DP's nightmares as the ride stopped for like 5 minutes while we were in Asia. We got to hear the song over and over in some language. The boats were all lined up outside and they would rock at points and I thought our boat was going to take water.

On Wednesday we went to the Storyteller's Cafe at the Grand Californian for the character breakfast. The food was great, but there was only Chip and Dale and Pluto at the breakfast. They didn't even walk around, but stayed up front. This was a little disappointing. We went to DL this day. We got fast passes for Star Tours, went on the Jungle Cruise, got fastpasses for Indy, HM, Splash and Pooh. My Mom hadn't been on Indy yet and loved it. I went on Indy 3 times this trip and ended up going through each of the 3 doors. The HM didn't have much of a line, so the fastpasses weren't needed. The ride stopped in the Madame Leota room and they were telling peopel to stay in their doombuggies, so I think someone tried to get out and stopped the ride. We were stopped for about 2-3 minutes. Splash Mtn's line was ridiculously long, but we had fastpasses, so we thought we'd get on quick. It took about 20 minutes to get in the log. I really think they need to do something about this ride to speed things up a bit. Pooh had broken down, so we went on Big Thunder. I noticed a lot of construction going on in New Orleans Square - probably for the premier in a few weeks. At 2 we had our appointment for the birthday party at the Plaza Inn. It was too hot to enjoy it much, but it was fun to see Mickey and Minnie and Grandma and DD got a great picture with them. It was fun to decorate our own cakes, but boy the frosting stains the hands! We had gotten new fastpasses for Pooh, so went back, but it broke down again just before we got there. I don't understand why a new ride has so many problems. Critter Country was so crowded too. The lines to even see the characters were probably about 45 minutes to a hour. We gave up on Pooh for the day. We went to Goofy's Kitchen for dinner and celebrated the birthdays with characters and cake. Pluto out front was a little crazy that night as he was rolling all over and crawling after DD and took her shoe off. She was having a fun time with and yelled at him for being a bad dog, but then made up and gave him a kiss. It was really cute to watch the whole ordeal. Cinderella was there too and sang Happy Birthday with made her day. It was a great day other than Pooh!

On Thursday we went back and forth from DCA and DL and got most of Fantasyland out of the way. We also saw Aladdin which was so spectacular. What a great show! I was impressed. I went on the Matterhorn twice and decided that I like the FL side better than the TL side. We saw tons of characters and a few new ones we haven't seen before. I went on the canoes as I had never done them before. The people in my boat weren't the best as we hit a rock, got passed by another canoe and then to top it off we hit the island before getting back safely to the dock. Luckily we didn't tip the canoe over.

Friday was really crowded as the Memorial Day crowds decided to show up. We finished up DCA. Its Tough to be a Bug show was a hit with Grandma. She also liked the Animation building stuff. We rode Indy a few times and saw lots more characters. We also did Toon Town and ate at Pinochio's Village Haus. I had never eaten there before. While we eating some characters showed up by Casy Jr, so I took DD over there. While trying to take a picture of her with Tweedle Dee the Mad Hatter and the Queen of Hearts came up on both sides of me and started pushing me back and forth. I think I got the picture. The queen was very snooty as always and very fun. DD told her that she likes white roses and said off with your head. The Queen then made the jesture of cutting off a head and then jumped and spooked DD. The evil Queen from Snow White and Meg from Hercules were being smart with each other too. It was so much fun. We also finally got to ride Pooh. I like it better than the WDW version, but still think it isn't that great of a ride, cute though. They tried to cram 3 of us in a row which wasn't going to work, so DD sat on my lap through the ride. She could see better on my lap as the vehicle walls are too high for kids. I also saw the tribute to CBJ. Too bad they don't use them as part of the dream sequence and have them talk. That night we watched the Electrical Parade near Golden Dreams and then hurried back to our hotel and went up the concierge level to watch and hear the fireworks. It was a nice view, but I think being at the park is a little more magical. The view from up there for the whole resort is great. We then went and saw the Magical Waters show there at the hotel. That is also a good show with lots of great Disney music.

Saturday was also busy, but we only had a few things we wanted to do. We went to Innoventions and played around a little bit and did the GM virtual reality thing. The Stich photo booth was closed to our dismay. We then went on Autopia and then did some pin trading and saw Buzz. We got seperated, so we spent the next couple hours trying to find each other. I had DD's ticket and DW took her out of the park and Grandma and I were waiting for them inside the park near where we got split up. Anyhow, guest relations made an exception and let them back in. Grandma and I did some last minute shopping while we were looking for them. We finally got back together and were able to leave. It was sad to go. I could live there if I could.

It was a great trip overall. It was relaxing and very fun. The CMs were excellent. We had such excellent service everywhere. I got lots of new pins and also found lots of new die cast vehicles for my collection. I'll share pictures later.

Sounds like you had a great time neten! Looks like you had the opportunity to hit up all the great rides and attractions. Did your daughter get to go on California Screamin'?
    "...and you'll want to stow away cameras, purses, hats, and of course...these little
    beauties!"

Click here to become a Talk Disney Premium Member

It sounds like a great trip neten! Storytellers Café is so nice though I have only had dinners there.
    The Queen of Hearts is one of my favorite characters to watch! Often she will sign an autograph book then toss it away! The look on the persons face as they see their autograph book being tossed on the ground is hysterical! I agree that small children will not be able to see in the WTP attraction! Did your daughter get to see Playhouse Disney? Rollie Pollie Ollie & Doug are now out and about at DCA! They are so cute!
    ~ MickeysGirl șoș
    ~ Gotta Love the Mouse! șoș

Headed down I-95 south to Orlando with 3 yowling cats!!

Re: DL Hotel trip 5/19-24

netenyahoo said: My bother and his new wife came too for a couple days...
    LOL!! I used to call my brother that too!!

Then Neten said:.....and went on Small World before closing. We had one of DP's nightmares as the ride stopped for like 5 minutes while we were in Asia. We got to hear the song over and over in some language.
    And you survived?? I'm shocked that you aren't feeling a bit sheepish. You must have the heart of a lion!!

He then went on to say: Pluto out front was a little crazy that night as he was rolling all over and crawling after DD and took her shoe off. She was having a fun time with and yelled at him for being a bad dog, but then made up and gave him a kiss.
    That sounds like it was an adorable moment!!

Glad to hear that you had an awesome trip Neten!!
    Please help us spread pixie dust throughout the land

Marry a CM..It's great!! You get most of the benefits and none of the work!!

Re: DL Hotel trip 5/19-24

netenyahoo said:
    The HM didn't have much of a line, so the fastpasses weren't needed. The ride stopped in the Madame Leota room and they were telling peopel to stay in their doombuggies, so I think someone tried to get out and stopped the ride.We were stopped for about 2-3 minutes.
    HM stops to allow access for those who are handicapped to be seated, then resumes. The spiel played during this time reminds people to stay in their DoomBuggies!

netenyahoo said:
    Splash Mtn's line was ridiculously long, but we had fastpasses, so we thought we'd get on quick. It took about 20 minutes to get in the log. I really think they need to do something about this ride to speed things up a bit.
    The more people that utilize the FASTPASS system the longer the waiting time will be.
    This has been a major complaint from the beginning.
    ~ MickeysGirl șoș

Yes I did survive the ordeal in Small World. Thanks for picking out my spelling errors!

My daughter isn't tall enough for California Screamin' yet. Maybe next trip. I don't know if she'd like it though as she didn't like Space Mountian last visit. I'm glad she got to go on Space though before it wen't down.

We did get to see Playhouse Disney. It was a lot of fun. We also got to take pictures with Olie and Stanley out in the backlot. They are too young to be able to sign their names yet though. Thanks MG for clarifying why HM stopped. I've never had it stop before.

Rolie Polie Olie? I had 2 many "L's"
    You can tell we don't have small ones!! DH was trying to get me to have my pictures taken with them on Saturday!!!
    You stopped at a cool spot in the HM!
    ~ MickeysGirl șoș

It was kind of neat spot. We really got a good look at her head!

I always like it when we see new characters we haven't seen before. Stanley was acting kind of weird though with some cast members around him. He had Dennis the fish in a bowl around his neck and was pretending to throw water at them. A few parents were wondering what was gong on. It just seemed a little out of character.

I think everyone is still fascinated by the new characters! Whatever they do!
    The Mad Hatter does throw water on people!
    He asks the crowd;
    "Who wants to see Fantasmic in the morning?"
    All the people say "I do!"
    The Mad Hatter says "Follow me!"
    He then leads them to a water fountain & proceeds to splash water on them!!!
    It's a riot!
    ~ MickeysGirl șoș