Spell, Search & Edit

Exclamation Spell, Search & Edit

Talk Disney has had a recent growth in new membership and while we greatly appreciate this. Some members, in their haste to jump into the fun on the forums have failed to thoroughly read the TalkDisney.com Terms of Service and Community Standards. In particular to sections S, T & V. So here for your reading pleasure are sections:

S: We ask that you check your spelling. You are more likely to get a response to a post that shows that you cared enough about it to check and see if it was well formed. Any posts that are judged to be undecipherable by the staff of TD.com are subject to deletion.

T: We ask that you check to see if a topic is already being discussed before you start a new thread. This is easily done by looking through the pages of a forum or by using the "Search" feature located at the top of the page. In order to keep the forums uncluttered and the dialog about the subject at hand flowing smoothly, all "mirror-threads" will be deleted, resulting in a reduction of your post count.

V: We would like all members to familiarize themselves with how to utilize the "Edit" button that is located in the bottom right of their posts. If you have a second thought, need to correct spelling or need to add a forgotten detail to your post, please do not double post to the thread to add it in. Simply click the "Edit" button, make the needed corrections and then click the "Save Changes" button. Please note that any double posts will be deleted and will result in a diminished post count.

There is a handy little download Disneypro found for us to assist with any posting spell checks.
    It's called ieSpell, it's a small application that will sit in the toolbar and will correct spelling mistakes before they are posted.
    It's free for personal use and available at http://www.iespell.com.
    ~ MickeysGirl o
    ~ Gotta Love the Mouse! o

I agree with MG's plea for our new members to learn, understand and follow the rules of Talk Disney, including the posting etiquette expected from each and every member. Communication must be clear and concise for it to be understood by one and all.

This site, as well as many other forum/board sites are not Chat Rooms. We are family friendly sites where all ages, races and genders may safely discuss what's going on with and what they like/dislike about the Disney company. We must follow all rules as laid out in the Talk Disney FAQS/TOS so as to preserve the family friendly atmosphere here as well as the safety levels expected.

In addition, Several new members have signed up in the past week or so who are clearly COPPA user candidates. (Under 18 years of age.) The COPPA system is in place to ensure that the parents of such members understand what the site is and that is is run in a safe, family friendly manner. No members may approach others in a predatory or otherwise salacious manner. Thanks to one member's actions today, an obvious child , they have been banned. (A 13 year old "diva" PMing a staff member in an inquisitive fashion most unbecoming and highly suspicious.) After only one post and 4 PM's...they are now gone from Talk Disney. Such activities are not tolerated by anyone. Period.

New members are expected to take the time to get to know the site they have signed up for. They are expected to understand how the site is run and what is acceptible posting behaviour. This site, as well as others, have been around for quite a while. The new members are to fit in with the already established members, not the other way around. To expect the existing members to understand them and their ways instantly is the wrong mindset and apt to not win one any friends whatsoever. To upset the site and it's running is an offense tht the staff has no choice but to act upon in the name of the site and the safety of the members following the rules of conduct.

Also, there is even a language censoring system set up to purge any foul language until a staff member can contact the offending member accordingly. That is how safe Talk Disney, as many other such sites, strive to be in sharing the magic of Disney and the fun of sharing it.

Please take to heart as we head into the Holiday Season, more and more young members shall be joining up and wanting to enjoy al that Talk Disney offers regarding the Disney magic. Adults as well as children. Untoward activites will not be tolerated. And if a member is banned, their information is shared with other such sites so as to alert them to the particular member's activities and mindset. Age is no barrier in this action. Even a child attempting to cause trouble will be well documented and shared. That is how safely Talk Disney and many other such forum sites are run. It is for the safety of one and all.

Once again, perhaps it's time for all members (and guests) to remind themselves of all of the above...and so much more...with the Talk Disney FAQS/TOS.

We hope that these points are very clear. We do not wish to expulse anyone here at Talk Disney...but when we have to...we act swiftly for the good of all.

Thank you.
    ~o~ MouseMan ~o~ TD Admin ~o~

Cool ieSpell

I highly recommend downloading ieSpell. From their website -

ieSpell is a free Internet Explorer browser extension that spell checks text input boxes on a webpage. It should come in particularly handy for users who do a lot of web-based text entry (e.g. web mails, forums, blogs, diaries). Even if your web application already includes spell checking functionality, you might still want to install this utility because it is definitely much faster than a server-side solution. Plus you get to store and use your personal word list across all your applications, instead of maintaining separate ones on each application.

The program installs as a new button in the IE toolbar (as well as a new menu item under "Tools") - after filling in a form, just hit the ieSpell button and it pops up a dialog, similar to the MS Word spell check.

ieSpell is not spyware or adware. It's free for personal use only. All other use requires a commercial license.
    Ray o

-- Actually, if you could see close in my eyes, the American flag is waving in both of them and up my spine is growing this red, white and blue stripe. --- Walt Disney

DVC Owner - Old Key West - Since 1995

One thing I find useful, is hitting the "preview" button before posting the message. This lets you see the post before it actually is sent and alot of the times I find my own spelling errors, or it gives me the chance to re-word a sentence that seemed to make sense when I was typing it, but didnt after I proofread it !! Just my little tidbit of advice
    "To the youngsters of today, I say Believe In The Future ..." - Walt Disney

Michelle

Thumbs up

Both ideas are good rules of thumb!
    Tracey o
    AKA Dizneyana
    Disneyland over 400 times
    Walt Disney World 1994 & 2003

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."
    -- Walt Disney

It's nice to see that others are using ieSpell!
    Moodyzblu your preview idea is an excellent one! Thank you! It wasn't an available option two years ago when I posted this thread.
    ~ MickeysGirl o
    ~ Gotta Love the Mouse! o

Re: Spell, Search & Edit

Time to remind folks of the simple things that TD asks it's members to do in order to help keep the site running smoothly and quickly in regards to spelling, editing and particularly the usage of the search feature.
    ~o~ MouseMan ~o~ TD Admin ~o~