WDW with a toddler... Any suggestions?

WDW with a toddler... Any suggestions?

We are taking our 2.5 yr daughter to WDW in May. We are trying to get bits of info from many sources in order to help us plan our trip. We have 5 day park hopper passes to work with. My question is..What would be the best way to get the most of the parks with an emphasis on toddler attractions and rides? Are there any itinerary examples? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Wanda

P.S.....

We are also staying at a WDW resort within the epcot area.

TIA,
    Wanda

Make shore you bring a few toys in the dipper bag that they can play with while your on the Height Restricted rides.

You can bring the baby on most of the rides. Some of the rides are dark so keep this in mind.
    Monorails And Thunder Mountain Worth the 28 Hour Drive!!

Many rides have a baby swap, which is how one of you can ride the ride and the other sit out and then swap w/o waiting again. It's a pretty good idea especially for rides that may be a bit too much for the youngster. Keep in mind the kiddies level of attention and such and make sure you have stuff for them to do in lines like coloring books and such.
    Go Noles! Ryan

When we went with my cousin a few years ago there were a few attractions that hold up to him even today, I'll give you a list of things he says he liked the best from each park. BTW: Remember to get to the parks at opening do some major things and take a break during the middle of the day for some rest or swimming at the pools which is easy with the bus system from all the parks.

Here's that list:

Magic Kingdom: Dumbo, Eating with Pooh at the Crystal Palace, Splash Mountain (he's a bit of a daredevil), the Indy Raceway, and Pirates of the Caribbean.

Epcot: Universe of Energy(for the dinosaurs), Test Track (daredevil), Journey into Imagination, and the bus with characters on it that travels around the World Showcase.
    On that note if you want to see the WS they have KidCot stations at all the countries where kids can add things to masks they get and a cm personalizes the masks at each country you stop at so they have a souveneir of being around the world.

MGM: Star Tours, Fantasmic(his favorite thing of all), Playhouse Disney, and Indiana Jones although certain scenes he had to cover his ears for.

We didn't get to go to Animal Kingdom but I'd suggest Dinosaur if the child is an adventurer or likes dinosaurs but be sure not to sit them up from and put them in the middle the first time. Also Pocohontas' show and Festival of the Lion King are usually pretty popular with the kids.

Hope these ideas help.
    Go Noles! Ryan

I do not recommend Dinosaur for a 2 and a half year old. Nor Test Track. Most of the Magic Kingdom rides are okay... except like splash and space mountain. Take her on carosel of progress... how cute would that be?!?! She'd come out singing... "It's a great big beautiful tomorrow..."
    He looks blue.
    I'd say brownish gold.

Make sure they get a rest period. Since you are staying at a WDW resort you can leave and rest and then come back. I have taken my daughter every year since she was 14 months old. She is now going on 8. Knowing their limit and when to rest, you can't go wrong. Also if the attraction is loud you might want to either skip it or do the switch off. Or if they will wear earplugs that might work. I have taken my daughter out during the middle of the show before because of the noise.
    Last edited by muchie; 03-18-2004 at 11:13 AM.
    Shelly

We went when our youngest was 2. Our plan was, whatever we can manage, we'll manage. She surprised us, and we actually accomplished quite a bit. We went without any great expectations and once she realized that a wait meant that there was fun ahead, she was fine. In fact, realizing that getting on the bus, or waiting in line meant seeing a show or meeting characters, she went so far as to make the effort to do everything on her own. It didn't matter that the first step of the bus was waste high, she was getting on all by herself.
    March 1982 Yogi Bear Campsite / December 1991 Days Inn Buena Vista / April 1999 All Star Music / July 2002 Carribbean Beach Resort / May 2005 All Star Movies
    Still to come-June 2008 Royal Pacific Resort (Universal) and All-Star Music
    For all dates in between Talk Disney

That is so cute Crash. You must have been so proud.
    He looks blue.
    I'd say brownish gold.

It was great, we didn't care that she was holding up the line, she was exercising her independance. It may sound strange, but I honestly believe she grew up a little in the time we spent at WDW.
    March 1982 Yogi Bear Campsite / December 1991 Days Inn Buena Vista / April 1999 All Star Music / July 2002 Carribbean Beach Resort / May 2005 All Star Movies
    Still to come-June 2008 Royal Pacific Resort (Universal) and All-Star Music
    For all dates in between Talk Disney

Isn't that funny.... and at the same time- you could be a kid again. Isn't WDW great?
    He looks blue.
    I'd say brownish gold.

My husband and I have been to Disney before my daughter was born. We are the type that wake up at the crack of the morning to get to the park before it opens and we stay until closing. We have to get in the frame of mind that we are NOT going to be able to see and do everything. This is why we need to go there with a plan for each day. I do appreciate all the suggestions. Keep them coming!
    ~Wanda~

Also, is there any way that I can get the Park maps ahead of time?

TIA
    ~Wanda~

We've taken our son since he was a year old (he's now 5) & his new brother has already been there twice (& he's only going to be a year old on March 31st) So we feel pretty comfortable with the toddler experience at WDW. First of all some of the rides will depend on her height. Most of the bigger more scary rides require a 40" minimum height. (like Big Thunder & Splash) but the Goofy roller coaster only requires 35" or 36". That's alot of fun if she's a little daredevil. Mostly all the rides in MK are great for little ones, be aware that Pirates & the Haunted Mansion are dark & may be a little scary. Do NOT take her on Dinosaur in AK (even if she makes the 40") It is dark & a little rough. My 5 yr old has been on it twice (he LOVES dinosaurs) but I don't think he's ever seen more than 2 sec. of the whole ride. Take advantage of the early openings of the parks & the fastpasses (esp. for Winnie the Pooh) Be sure not to miss Playhouse Disney at MGM & Fantasmic (MGM) with Fantasmic, be sure to get there early to get a seat. The ampitheater fills up quickly. (hint.... we go see Fantasmic on the day we go to AK. AK closes by 5pm, then we park hop to MGM & grab a bite to eat & have plenty of time to get a seat for the show.) Take your time & enjoy all of it. It's great seeing Disney through the eyes of your children. Have a great time! You're gonna love it!

Best advice I ever got was be flexable, and split the day. In other words go to the park early then come back to your room for some down time.
    Know where the Baby Change Stations are before you go, the parks have some very nice ones.
    My 3 year old loves the characters, but my 5 year old still stears clear of them. If your child likes them, you'll get some nice pictures, but if not it frees up alot of time to go on rides.
    Fantasyland, where most of the "Kiddie" rides are, thins out during the parades and in the early evening.
    Have a nice time!

My oldest started going to WDW on a monthly basis when she was 2, my youngest was a little over 2 months on her first visit. They've always suprised me, they are such little troopers!
    Last edited by WDWChrissy; 03-22-2004 at 05:05 PM.
    On my way to see the mouse!
    Chrissy