2 disabiled boys
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2 disabiled boys

I have two disabled boys.
    My 9-year-old son has sensory integration dysfunctions (Sid)
    and my 11-year-old son has ADHD (Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder)
    We are going to wdw in 14 days just wondering if anyone as any info
    as my 11year old can have some horrific tantrums and my 9-year-old is very sensitive. also my 9-year does not walk [?] due to low muscle tone.
    Last edited by Disneypro; 08-26-2004 at 07:54 PM.

Is your eldest son on any medications?
    It may be necessary to make sure he takes them as directed
    while away from home. That in itself can be traumatizing.
    My suggestions would be to go slow. This may be easiest for you eldest, rushing or appearing to be in a hurry will probably transfer to him and could possibly cause him to be more hyper than normal. I would also try explaining to him as much as possible what is going on, by doing so you may avoid overload.

With your younger child I am taking for granted that he has a custom wheel chair or its equivalence, is this correct?
    You will need assistance in getting him on and off attractions. The cast members are very courteous and will help you in any way that they can. I do not think (I may be wrong here) they are allowed to transfer a guest due to safety issues.
    I would advise taking breaks as needed so he will not become over tired and will be able to enjoy himself.
    Patients with SPD, or Sensory Processing Disorder often require redirection, this may involve having to leave a queue prior to riding the attraction. Perhaps consulting with the cast members they can provide you with quicker access to the attraction or an easy escape if necessary.
    Again talking to your son and explaining what is going to happen should help to reduce the occurrence of him being completely overwhelmed by his circumstances.
    I would also suggest allowing him to have some things familiar with him, this may help him to feel secure in a new environment.
    Prior to your trip begin to explain that you are going to be doing something different, this should help to prepare him for a new experience.
    I am a big believer in positive reinforcement, praising the good is often more effective than criticizing the bad. Hope some of this helps.
    ~ MickeysGirl șoș
    ~ Gotta Love the Mouse! șoș

as for your son who can not walk I'm also going to assume he is in a wheelchair, I just wanted to point out some stuff that will help you in getting around on disney transport if you so chose to use it.

-all disney transport busses are equiped with a wheelchair lift or ramp
    -disney requires you to board going backwards into the bus through the rear door, this is for safety reasons (I don't know when your trip is but disney is testing a bus with a front door wheelchair ramp so this may change.)

-the busses can accomadate 2 wheel chair passengers each.

-as for parking trams to the main car parking lot you will need to fold the wheelchair to get on the tram however all handicap parking lots are close enoguh you can walk from the main entrance.

- most boats can acomdate wheel chairs except for the small luanches that service the GF and Poly they also have another route between the WL, FW, CR. it should be noted that if the water level is too low or too high wheelchairs may not be able to be accomdated, however the boat captains have some tricks for this like boarding everyone else first then haveing them all stand on the dock side of the boat to make the boat lean and correct the level of it.

- the monorails are very easy they just put a ramp down for you there are 2 handicap cars per monorail.

any other questions feel free to ask.

Palm Beach, FL...just about 2.5 hours South of WDW!
    I think it's all been said here. Good advice it seems. I'll just echo the sentiment that you take things slow and try to anticipate when they might be getting tired and take a break. There's some nice leasurly rides you can go on as well....like the jungle cruise and such.

"In every job to be done there is an element of fun. Simply find the fun and *snap*...the job's a game!" -That Poppins woman

Countdown till I wish I was at Disney World ....about 2 seconds

Click here daily to vote for Talk Disney!

Click here to become a Talk Disney Premium Member

my eldest is on medication

my eldest is on medication concerta to help the adhd and melatonine to help him sleep,, for my youngest yest it is the equlivant to a wheel chair its like a light wight pushchair but a little bit larger, we have a car onn hire as we arre staying in a villa just outside disney. not long now the kids carnt wait,,

to 10 mins

we set off from the uk on the 10 spetember at 10.25 uk time add 5 hours for usa time, what is it like at the airport, this is the boys frist holiday ever just trying to make it magical forr them.

Please remember to use the Edit button.
    Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow.

Herbie, I just want it to look like nothing else in the world. And it should be surrounded by a train. -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by theslime
    we set off from the uk on the 10 spetember at 10.25 uk time add 5 hours for usa time, what is it like at the airport, this is the boys frist holiday ever just trying to make it magical forr them.
    Orlando airport is generally busy, I can't really answer that question for you. I don't go to the airport at all during the middle of the day, I fly early morn out of orlando and late night into orlando. Orlando airport also suffered damage from the hurricane and I don't know how much of that damage has been repaired. I would recomend you try to talk to SNOWHITE or DISNEYPRO they also live in the area and proably know more about the airport then me.

Quote Originally Posted by theslime
    I have two disabled boys.
    My 9-year-old son has sensory integration dysfunctions (Sid)
    and my 11-year-old son has ADHD (Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder)
    We are going to wdw in 14 days just wondering if anyone as any info
    as my 11year old can have some horrific tantrums and my 9-year-old is very sensitive. also my 9-year does not walk [?] due to low muscle tone.
    hiya, can't help you on the disney quiery, but check out www.postpals.co.uk they can help brighten your boy's every day life

Hi! Congrats on your trip! Also wanted to suggest going to Guest Relations when you enter the Magic Kingdom. Spending a few minutes with them is priceless. They have information about rides, lines and rest rooms. They will also give you tips as to which lines may not be able to handle wheel chairs or the like and tell you an alternate entrance which might also help you through the line quicker. Don't be shy about asking for help or at leasting stating your needs in a nice way. Most CM will do everything they can to help but sometimes they just don't know quite how to help. My brother is handicapped and needed a man's arm to lean on getting on and off rides and when I asked the guys to just put their arm out for support, all were willing - with a Disney smile. Have a wonderful trip.
    Disney til you drop!!!!!!

reading the above reminds me that i was told that you can tell guestrelations about your needs and get get a stamp which says that you can que away from people if you can't take crowds which might help

thanks for all your help

i just want to thank everyone who hleped us out, we went to wdw last sptember and both boys loved it, we used my sons disabiled pushchair( in the uk its what we use for a child that dosent need a wheel chair these can be used up to the age off 11 years) everything went well, we did go to guest relatoins and was given a card. we rearlly used it as some people with normal puschairs where moneing so we stopped using in ( as it let us use the disabile access and we got on some off the rides without queing for long )
    carnt wait to go back.

Smile

Hi there. We are visiting WDW for first time with kids in just FIVE DAYS! I don't know who is more excited - the kids or us! We are traveling with 2 disabled children (PDD and ADHD) ages 6 (almost 7) and 4. We are building in afternoon breaks back at the hotel with some swimming and snacks so as not to
    stress or overheat the kids. We've worked out a very loose itinerary for our PDD son so that he knows what to expect. We've left lots of room for change so he doesn't melt down due to spontaneous plans.

Good luck with your trip! I wish you all the best.

the hotel part came up with a link for the Radisson. We are not staying there - staying on property at Disney.

i do not know what pdd is, but i do know what adhd is and our son was 11 when we went and you wouldnt have belived he had adhd as he was on the go all day but we let him have quite a lot off freedomm and it seemed to work by the time we got out off most off the parks it was late anyway so when we got to the villa just off the hway 27 at davenport lake all he wanted to do is geet to bed and sleep, and the early get up in the mornings did us just fine, as once hes up the whole house is up. we didnt really need to plan anything we just took it 1 day at a time hour by hour for braeks and stuff.
    so all im saying is just go out there and have fun, it waas our first time to
    now all we are geting is when are we going again.

have a wonderful time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast