Any Suggestion about (Sea Sickness)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jaycee Honorary Citizen of the Magic Kingdom

Question Any Suggestion about (Sea Sickness)

My two children who will be 3 and 8 at the time of our cruise in August 2005 has never been on a cruise and I wanted to know what should I bring in case they get sea sick. I saw some wrist bands a few years ago at a store. Are the wrist bands for children?

Any suggestion will help. Thanks

Actually yes they are and that's what our pediatrician recommened getting just in case we need them. Holly
    Holly

If you can Dream it, You can Do it!

Ive taken 4 disney cruises and I have never gotten sea sick on the cruise. I have been sea sick before on smaller "boats" but disney seems to keep the ship movement down to a minimum. They do sell in the ship stores everything for sea sickness from dramamine to the sea bands. However I doubt you will need them . Another thing to keep in mind is I noticed the ship moves more baised on how windy it is compaird to how big the waves are. The ship stableizers can compinsate for the waves but cannot do so well againt a very windy day. My 3rd cruise we had 15 to 20 foot waves and the ship hardly moved. My 4th cruise we had 40mph winds blowing against the ship and we rocked a little bit.

Curt

Dreaming of living in the sunshine state

we just got back from our Disney cruise, and my kids (10, 8, and 1) did not need anything for sea sickness. My wife and I took dramamine for ourselves...not sure if we needed it, we just took it.

Whats funny though, is when we got back and disembarked, that's when my wife and I got sick. For at least the next two days, we felt like the ground was still moving...it was worse than being on the ship. Anybody know what that's all about??

Yep - your body adjusts to the sea - that's when you get your "sea legs" when the ship stops feeling like it's coming up to meet each step you take - but then when you get off the ship the feeling starts all over... you have to find your "land legs" all over... and it can make some a little sick...
    *Please Stand Clear of the Doors- Porfavor Mantegas Sehallados de las puertas*

I can remeber on our honeymoon we went on the cruise 1st ( I don't recommend this) and then to WDW for 4 nights. When we got to the Wilderness Lodge and got into the elevator I thought I was going crazy. I actually had to hold the railings going up. LOL. And for the rest of the day I felt like I was swaying I kept asking my DH if I was moving and he said no. Glad this go around that we are doing the reverse and hopefully since it's the Disney Cruise I won't get sea sick, but as a precaution I am getting the patch for me anyway. Holly
    Holly

If you can Dream it, You can Do it!

Compazine is considered the drug of choice for motion sickness, but this requires a prescription. It also comes in a convenient patch form. The trick to remember is that it must be used prior to getting on or off the ship, once in motion it's too late to make up for lost time.
    ~ MickeysGirl șoș
    ~ Gotta Love the Mouse! șoș

So is there anything out there that helps get your "land-legs" back any faster? Do the sea sickness medicines help with that, or is it something that you basically have to wait out?

Jaycee Honorary Citizen of the Magic Kingdom

So tell us about your trip!!!!

So How was the cruise? Did everyone have a great time. My family and I will be going on August 13 for seven days. My kids are ages 7 and 3 and I wanted to know if your 8 and one year old really liked the program. My daughter will be 8 when we depart. Did you have to register the kids in the program when you arrived? Did a lot of people dress up for dinner? I am way too excited to go

Quote Originally Posted by alex23
    we just got back from our Disney cruise, and my kids (10, 8, and 1) did not need anything for sea sickness. My wife and I took dramamine for ourselves...not sure if we needed it, we just took it.

Whats funny though, is when we got back and disembarked, that's when my wife and I got sick. For at least the next two days, we felt like the ground was still moving...it was worse than being on the ship. Anybody know what that's all about??

Quote Originally Posted by alex23
    So is there anything out there that helps get your "land-legs" back any faster? Do the sea sickness medicines help with that, or is it something that you basically have to wait out?
    Pretty much, it is still motion sickness. Most people do not require medication though.
    What is happening is the brain having finally adjusted to the motion of the ship is still receiving 2 conflicting messages, as it did with the sea sickness. Though you are standing still on terra firma, for a time you can see the ship floating (going up and down, up and down) & your brain is still trying to send messages that your body needs to compensate for this motion. This sensation generally passes very quickly for most people, much as a child who has been spinning in circles still feels like they are spinning after they stop.
    ~ MickeysGirl șoș

I've gotten a real bad sea sick before. But not on the Disney Cruise (cause i have never gone it before) When i went to catalina for a camping trip, it was a school trip so i couldnt take any medicine so i got real sick and you know what hapenned My advice to you is bring medicine, look at the horizon, and dont make a bet with your friend to see who will get sick first
    *2 fingers*
    "When you wish upon a star, your DREAMS come true"

Annual Pass Holder for DLR
    -JT

Actually, if you don't take the medicine at least an hour before boarding you will get sea sick if you are going to (not everyone is prone to motion sickness). Once you are on board and feeling queasy, it is too late for the medicine to be of any help.
    ~ MickeysGirl șoș

So How was the cruise? Did everyone have a great time. My family and I will be going on August 13 for seven days. My kids are ages 7 and 3 and I wanted to know if your 8 and one year old really liked the program. My daughter will be 8 when we depart. Did you have to register the kids in the program when you arrived? Did a lot of people dress up for dinner? I am way too excited to go
    The cruise was great. We did have to register the kids, but we ended up not taking them to any of the kids programs. We decided it was only 3 days, we were gonna just stay together...plus my wife and I decided to cancel our Palo reservation because she wanted to see the show Dreams...Palo was pretty much the only reason we needed to take them to any of the kids programs.
    Yes, people dressed up for Palo, not so much for the regular dinners. Just remember Palo is first come first serve, so try to reserve as soon as you can.

I was concerned about my son getting seasick (as has happened before) but he was absolutely fine. The first day we felt like we were walking sideways up the corridors but soon got used to it. However, when we got back to shore it took 2-3 days to get our land legs back. It really is the strangest sensation. You feel like the ground is moving under you and you sway from side to side! Very weird.... not unpleasant, just weird!

As Curt mentioned previously, the wind really does effect the ride on the seas with the ship. the last time we were o nthe ship, we were in heavy seas, but with Gale Force winds (60+). My wife and one of my daughters got ill, but found the wristbands tended to help them out.

As Cathe said, once the sensation grabs ahold of you, there is almost nothing that you can do at that point. You probably have to get worse before you get better. Then you can take whatever method to prevent it from coming back. Normally I do not get seasick, but I knew that the rocking of the ship during one of the movies I was watching, was starting to effect me. I found that sipping on something that had carbonation (mind you..I am over 21, so you can probably guess what the "choice" of carbonation was ) slowly and constantly helped me cope with it. For the kids, perhaps some soda would work.

Here's a question. Do your kids ever get car-sick? if they did, what did you do to remedy it? The sensation is identical, and the biggest reason that kids get motion sickness is that they are unable to adjust their eyes on the "moving" horizon, as the motion happens around them. This make the brain not able to cope with the rocking. On a ship, you are normally in an enclosed area without a frame of reference to focus on for anticipating on the motion, hence the queeziness start to work on you.

There is another medication that is not as easy to find... but worked extremely well for me when I would go out in a tiny boat for scuba, or deep-sea fishing: Bonine. It can be gotten in a chewable tablet, making it easier to get your kids to take it. Dramanine can have a nasty taste to it, if your kids have a hard time swallowing pills.
    Last edited by DisneyDriver; 02-19-2005 at 11:08 PM.
    "...and you'll want to stow away cameras, purses, hats, and of course...these little
    beauties!"

Click here to become a Talk Disney Premium Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast