Disney College Program!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Disney College Program!!

Huge, huge news! A week and a half after my interview, I'm going to Disney. My friend, Lydia, got into the program too. (How cool is that?) But I have tons of thoughts about the whole thing, tons of stuff that I wanna learn about it and tons of people I wanna meet.

Lydia is in the Fall Advantage 2005 program, she'll leave on May 25
    I'm in the Fall 2005 program and I'll be leaving on August 22

Lydia's in Merchandising and I'm in Quick Service Food/Beverage.

Anybody going? Anybody's comments? Anybody been (we'd love tips)!!

<!-- / message -->

That is very exciting I hope you have a wonderful time!!!
    I Walt Disney World!
    Cast Member!
    July2004-(7nights) Pop Century
    August2005-(1night) Animal Kingdom Lodge (9 nights) Pop Century
    September2005-(4nights) Pop Century
    August2006-(7nights) Pop Century
    Ocober2006-Presnt-(everyday)Saratoga Springs and Old Key West

Congratulation's TInk! I know how much you wanted it! You will have a great time! How fun that your friend is going as well! My daughter did the CP Program last year & she was in quick food as well. She worked at Pinnochio Village Haus in The Magic Kingdom & had a great time! Congratulation's again!
    Have a Magical Day!

Ok CP's.. Give us some help. Lydia leaves so soon and what in the world do we need to take? I have some ideas of what you'd need to take to college but this isn't a normal dorm room that I'm staying in either. So any of the following needed:
    Towels?
    Bath rug?
    Shower curtain?
    Shower tote?
    Toothbrush/soap holder?
    Laundrey hamper vs. bag?
    Ironing board? Iron?
    Hangers?
    Extra shelving/desk/bookcase?
    My own mini refrigorator/microwave?
    How about a coffee pot? (I need my coffee in the morning)
    Matress pad? Matress? Bedding?
    Waste Basket?
    Extra telephone?
    Window treatments?

And like what are the size of the beds? Twin? Full?
    And for my laptop? Do I need a wireless router? Is there even DSL at all?
    How many people actually end up bringing a TV? (I wouldn't think each bedroom would need two)

I'll more as I think of it! Thanks!

OMG I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait until I can do the program!! Oh have fun!! Which I'm sure you will!! I jumping in my seat for you!!!! Congradualtions times a million!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
    Mermaid Princess (aka Sarah !!)
    "I dunno...he looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me!!" Scuttle

"I can be beautiful lovely and fair...silvery voice, long purple hair....I'm the magnificent MARVELOUS mad, mad, mad, mad Madame Mim!!!!!!!"
    "Madame Medusa's Pon-shop Beautique..."
    Emm eye see...kay eee why...emm o you ess eee!!!!

Disney Mom... where are you? You should know these answers! My mom can't answer any of these questions. Can I borrow you?

Quote Originally Posted by ticklerbell04
    Ok CP's.. Give us some help. Lydia leaves so soon and what in the world do we need to take? I have some ideas of what you'd need to take to college but this isn't a normal dorm room that I'm staying in either. So any of the following needed:
    Towels?
    Bath rug?
    Shower curtain?
    Shower tote?
    Toothbrush/soap holder?
    Laundrey hamper vs. bag?
    Ironing board? Iron?
    Hangers?
    Extra shelving/desk/bookcase?
    My own mini refrigorator/microwave?
    How about a coffee pot? (I need my coffee in the morning)
    Matress pad? Matress? Bedding?
    Waste Basket?
    Extra telephone?
    Window treatments?

And like what are the size of the beds? Twin? Full?
    And for my laptop? Do I need a wireless router? Is there even DSL at all?
    How many people actually end up bringing a TV? (I wouldn't think each bedroom would need two)

I'll more as I think of it! Thanks!

HA! OK Tink- I'll try my best! My daughter Sara did bring towels, & bedding. In her apt. there were 2 twin size beds in each room. There is a fully stocked kitchen. I'm not sure about a coffee maker but there is a refrigerator & microwave. Hold off on other kitchen & bathroom purchases. Those things can be purchased as a group when you get there. Even if you don't have a car, the bus will take you to Wal Mart. My daughter supplied the TV for the apt. along with a phone.They kept it in the living room. Another girl had a computer. Sara usually used a computer when she had a break at work. She didi not want to supply a computer that 6 people would use.
    Keep one thing in mind- you may have been told. When you get to the apt. check in area, who ever you are in line by is who you will room with so find some other girls that look nice! Sara's apt. was 3 bedroom. 1 room had a bathroom in it, the other 2 bedrooms shared a bathroom. Sara had a room that shared with 3 other girls. It was never a problem. She picked the bedroom that was furthest away from the living room & kitchen to keep sound down. There was a big closet to share with a locker space in it- bring a lock with you- nice to lock up extra cash. We did pick up a little end table w/ shelves from Target- $20. for her alarm clock, etc. There is a dresser to share as well- good size.

Laundry is no problem. There are several washers & dryers in the breeze way by each apt. Sara never had a problem getting it done. She didn't need to do laundry too often- she wore her uniform so much!
    I am so happy for you. It was such a great experience for my daughter. She went back this Christmas break to work & meet up with some of the kids she worked with. She was offered an 'advanced internship' which means that she can go back to work as a manager after she graduates from college. I think she may take advantage of that! Feel free to ask any other questions you may have. Hope I helped.
    Have a Magical Day!

Can there be more then one TV and Computer? Can you have them in your rooms?
    I Walt Disney World!
    Cast Member!
    July2004-(7nights) Pop Century
    August2005-(1night) Animal Kingdom Lodge (9 nights) Pop Century
    September2005-(4nights) Pop Century
    August2006-(7nights) Pop Century
    Ocober2006-Presnt-(everyday)Saratoga Springs and Old Key West

If I remember correctly, there was only one place for cable TV & Internet.
    Have a Magical Day!

Hey, I haven't heard from anybody that is going this fall!!! Lydia and I want to meet people before we go down there. Anybody know anybody that has gotten accepted for Fall 2005? Anybody......

congradulations I am so happy for you and your friend what an exciting time

Fall Advantage

Tinkerbello4,
    My dd is going down for the Fall Advantage Program in May too! She'll be in QSF&B. I've been online researching as I'm just about as excited as she is. She's been to busy cleaning up her stuff so I won't throw it away while she's gone, lol. I don't think she realizes just how little time she has before she goes.

Read as much as you can on the official wdwcollegeprogram site. It's so weird to navigate through that we see different stuff all the time and they just changed some stuff on their this last week too. They have a list of what they think you should bring but my list would be longer. They also have a list of what is provided by them. Here's what I've learned so far and what my dd is bringing that's not on their list......

Towels? Yes, my dd is bringing about 4, you can launder them with your jeans to make a full load.
    Bath rug? I agree on waiting til you get there, a roomie may have one already.
    Shower curtain? The official site says this is provided.
    Shower tote? Definitely yes, as you'll be sharing a bathroom.
    Toothbrush/soap holder? I'd wait on this one too, unless you already have it.
    Laundrey hamper vs. bag? Pop up hampers are great. We found some for a buck each at a dollar store and they seemed to be the same quality as the ones we saw at bedbathandbeyond and Target.
    Ironing board? Iron? You can check these out at the apartments but it does seem like a hassel to carry them around the apartment complex. Target and Walmart both sell cheap ones (from 6 to 10 dollars). Maybe your roomies would want to split the cost? My dd's bringing my travel iron.
    Hangers? yes, you'll need them, they're not provided either.
    Extra shelving/desk/bookcase? You probably won't have as much stuff with you as you would at home. The closets seem to have good storage. Here's a site with good photos and even some of the closets at Vista Way.... http://www.johnremus.com/disney.htm
    My own mini refrigorator/microwave? They have a full size fridge and micro that you'll share. Some roomies each get a shelf in the fridge and split up the cupboards others seem to want to buy in bulk and split the cost.
    How about a coffee pot? (I need my coffee in the morning) Definitely bring that as it's not provided.
    Matress pad? Matress? Bedding? If you have room to bring a mattress pad you may want one, you could probably get by with one set of sheets but may want to bring two if you have room.
    Waste Basket? One small one is provided in each bathroom and one in the kitchen. I have read that some pitch in on a larger one. Also, some pitch in on a broom, doormat, etc. I think the site above (the johnremus one had a list of stuff they bought)
    Extra telephone? THere is only one but I'd prefer a cellphone with a good calling plan. I have heard their phones are only for local calls and since you only have one line between you anyway only one person can use it at a time. We put my dd on our Sprint Family plan for $10 extra a month. She gets unlimed nights (7p to 7a) and weekend minutes. She's been very responsible out not using to many day minutes. She yaks it up at night anyway. Well worth it to us to know she'd have it for emergencies as well and I can leave her messages on it without having to rely on her roommates to get her messages. You may want to bring an answering machine if you have one but you'd be sharing it.
    Window treatments?The windows only have miniblinds. My dd and I are both into decorating and she's going to bring some lightweight IKEA curtains and hang them up with thumbtacks. You can only use thumbtacks or pins to hang things. So you couldn't put oup any curtain hardware anyway. I think most people just leave the windows bare. But you could also pin up anything that's light enough to hang with thumbtacks. You could even tape photos together as a "curtain". We will have to check with someone before going crazy though as I heard you couldn't put anything in the windows. But I think they meant like posters showing on the outside. I don't think they'd care if you couldn't see it from the outside.

And like what are the size of the beds? Twin? Full? They are regular twin size. (I think the other MOM answered you ?
    And for my laptop? Do I need a wireless router? Is there even DSL at all? My DH says that others can access your internet with a wireless router. He won't let my dd bring one even though Disney suggests one. If you have an ethernet card you should be okay I think. I'll check with my DH.
    How many people actually end up bringing a TV? (I wouldn't think each bedroom would need two) I've heard that sometimes no one brings a t.v. and sometimes there are too many. I think you'll be so busy with work, classes (if you sign up for them) clubs, (if you sign up too), socializing, hitting the parks, that you won't miss t.v. It's hard to believe but true. BUT, if no one brings a t.v. , it's possible your roomies may want to split the cost of a cheap Walmart set (I've seen them online at Walmart.com for around $90). You could have a drawing or something to see who gets to take it home. Just an idea. You could also watch dvds on yours or someones computer too.

My dd may only bring 2 or 3 pairs of jeans since she'll be in costume or professional attire most of the time. She plans on bringing about 4 or 5 professional outfits or two dress pants and a couple skirts and a few mix and match shirts, for classes and seminars, etc. A swimsuit or two, capris. Remember that Disney actually wants fleshtoned undergarments under your costume (just in case a color would show thru, I guess). She's going to need to get some basic colored headbands or barrettes in case they think her hair is in her face. Read the Disney guidelines for appearance too. They now have photos that weren't there last time we checked.

She's bringing my old toaster ( there isn't one in the apts), some of my old tupperware, raiding my medicine chest (putting cold meds, bandaids, blister bandaids, etc in a cosmetics bag), and raiding my Costco size spices. We're looking for some small plastic spice jars (so they won't break on the plane). She wants at least some spices to add to Ragu and to make chilli. Some 3m plastic hooks that hang with sticky tape. One for her bathrobe, etc and a heavy duty one to hang up a towel in her closet. Some little IKEA picture frames (one at least for each roomie) that we tested and can hang up with a pin, so they can decorate a little, magnets for her locker and maybe the fridge. She has stolen her little sisters roll up wipe off calender which is huge and can be hung up with thumbtacks. She's made a small sewing kit with needles, thread, scissors, saftey pins. I am giving her a roll of clear tape and a roll of duct tape as you can fix anything with it, tape up boxes to send home, and even hem a pair of pants if need be with it. She's also bringing her scrapbooking stuff, so she can document all her fun. And a small 'shark' vac (as you have to check out the vacuum cleaners too), an umbrella, and a BRITA water pitcher (and filters) and a BRITA water bottle with a little filter as we heard that the water has a sulpher smell. I don't know if it's true but the pitcher was on sale (Kohls had them on clearance for $7 bucks) and we got a steal on the filters too. So why buy bottled water?

She may buy some baking pans after she gets there. I only saw that they have cookie sheets. She may want to make meatloaf and birthday cakes. I'm also letting her have some kitchen utensils that we didn't see on the list and I have extra anyways. We figure if she doesn't have room to bring it home she can give it away to the new spring advantage programmers that are coming when she leaves or just throw them away. As I'm not giving her anything that I wasn't going to just donate anyway. We may bring home some of her souveniers,etc. when we go to visit her. She's also copying some of my recipes that she thinks she wants to make. And I'm giving her one of my basic cookbooks.

Just an FYI, The airlines charge around $80 to check an extra bag. Most let you check two bags (up to 62" total length plus, width, plus height) and carry on one bag (up to 46, sometimes 51 inches) and a purse OR small daypack. I've heard of a lot of WDWCP's that end up being charged the extra bag charge cuz they didn't know about it or think to ship stuff home. Check with your individual airline for their rules and fees.

Have you seen this site? http://www.wdwcpinfo.com/ My dd is trying to get to know some people on that site. A lot of future and currents CP's post on there.
    Last edited by dwagnfly; 03-31-2005 at 03:43 PM.

Welcome to Talk Disney, dwagnfly!
    Thanks for sharing so much great advice with us!
    ~ MickeysGirl șoș
    ~ Gotta Love the Mouse! șoș

Re: wireless routers

Okay, my dh says he wasn't getting our dd a wireless router because they cost $70 to 80 bucks and we already have one. He said if you have one then it would make it possible for everyone in the apt to log onto the internet at one time. You should set it up so one has to use a password to log on so your neighbors won't be logging on. (my neice had sorority sisters or someone who actually did online gambling on her computer!) The router is something that you would only need one of in the apt though, so again, it is something that the girls with computers could split the cost possibly or just log in one at a time with an ethernet card, if you all work different schedules this could work.

He told our dd to do that or take her laptop down to the computer lab and hook up there. We're still investigating this scenario. She's not bringing a printer either since they're so big and hopefully she can hookup at the lab for that too.

I have heard our local college is having an extra presentation on Monday, so I'm going to try and go and ask about all this stuff.

Just a suggestion...I know that liberaries have internet that you could log onto for an hour or so, or maybe there is an internet cafe nearby that would also let you pop on really quickly.....just incase the internet at the appartment doesn't work out.
    Mermaid Princess (aka Sarah !!)
    "I dunno...he looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me!!" Scuttle

"I can be beautiful lovely and fair...silvery voice, long purple hair....I'm the magnificent MARVELOUS mad, mad, mad, mad Madame Mim!!!!!!!"
    "Madame Medusa's Pon-shop Beautique..."
    Emm eye see...kay eee why...emm o you ess eee!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast