Swan and Dolphin?

Swan and Dolphin?

I guess I'm just a little uninformed. I thought the Swan and Dolphin resorts were Disney owned and operated. I just found out that I am wrong. Can anyone explain the story behind this please? Thanks.
    Jackie
    a true princess @

I have stayed there before, and they are definately part of the Disney Resort, but they also run their own pricing specials separate from what the normal resorts do. I think the great majority of people staying there are at conferences, as they have HUGE meeting facilities in both buildings (that is the reason I stayed there). I also know that some of the restaurants there do not participate in Disney dining plans and use their own reservation services, not the one used for all the other restaurants in the entire resort area. After considering all these things, I would assume that they are at least operated by someone different than all the other resorts, but I don't know for sure.

They are both very beautiful!! Haven't had the pleasure of staying in one, but I did tour them a few years ago and their lovely. They don't have the charm of the Disney resorts (of course) but they are nice!!
    Looking for the luck of the Irish -Kel

Headed down I-95 south to Orlando with 3 yowling cats!!
    What the basic deal with the Swan and Dolphin is that they are on land leased from Disney, yet they are run by Starwood resorts. That's why you don't get a room charge that is good in the parks etc.

I will say that there are some very good deals to be had staying at either hotel. The gov't and teacher rates are superb for a hotel with all the amenities that these two have. Depending on the season, you can find a room at the Swan &/or Dolphin for what you would spend on a Disney moderate room.
    Please help us spread pixie dust throughout the land

Marry a CM..It's great!! You get most of the benefits and none of the work!!

Yes, I am a teacher and we can get a rate there as low as $149 a night. It makes it much more appealing at those kinds of rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneypro
    What the basic deal with the Swan and Dolphin is that they are on land leased from Disney, yet they are run by Starwood resorts. That's why you don't get a room charge that is good in the parks etc.

I will say that there are some very good deals to be had staying at either hotel. The gov't and teacher rates are superb for a hotel with all the amenities that these two have. Depending on the season, you can find a room at the Swan &/or Dolphin for what you would spend on a Disney moderate room.
    Thanks for clearing this up for me. I always thought they were Disney owned, and now I'm informed! Thanks!
    Jackie
    a true princess @