Should I let the older kids go alone?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should I let the older kids go alone?

On my next trip to DLR, do you TD fans and friends think it would be ok to let my kids and their friends (age range from 10-12) venture around the park by themselves? We would both have walkie talkies and a place to meet several times during the day to check in and such. They are getting older and don't have the same interests that I do around the park. I want to get the opinion of other parents and casts members first before I decide. Thanks a bunch.

Susan

Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy.

I am sure that many members will disagree with me, but this is my opinion.
    I'd rather have the children upset with me and them safe by my side, then off by them selves even for short periods of time and have something happen to them.
    Walkie talkies may not always work within the parks and even the brightest of 10 and 12 year olds are not as mature in their decision making process as a 16 year old would be. There will be plenty of time in the years to come for them to explore the parks by themselves.
    ~ MickeysGirl șoș
    ~ Gotta Love the Mouse! șoș

I agree with MG 100%
    They are not what I would consider "of age" to be left alone at 10 or 12.
    16 is much closer to it.
    "...and you'll want to stow away cameras, purses, hats, and of course...these little
    beauties!"

Click here to become a Talk Disney Premium Member

Well I guess that we will all have to hang out together. My 12 year old is pretty mature but thats not to say that some of the strangers at the park are too. I will kinda let them go and decide where we should go and I will bring up the rear. Thanks for your help everyone.
    Susan

If it were me I would not let them. I have a 9 year old that is very mature because she is around adults all the time but I would not let her out of my site. There are just to many things that can go wrong. I think if they were older maybe 15-16 I might consider it then.
    Shelly

We traveled to Disneyland with another family when my kids were 15, 12 and 10. The other kids were 15 and 11. We allowed them to make brief forays as a group (for some of the rides we were't interested in) but the irony was they really didn't want to go off much. They actually enjoyed hanging with the families! I really think that 10 and 12 year olds are too young to be on their own in the parks...it may be the Magic Kingdom but it's still a big place where alot can happen!

Have a blast! Leaving for DLR TOMORROW!

I wouldn't let my kids at that age alone in the park. I know when I was 12 I was a "good kid" around my parents, but once they let me and my siblings and friends roam Yellowstone Park alone (been there every year since a baby so I know the park very well). But we were so annoying too all the guests. Playing games, just being able to do/say what we want. Not all kids are like that I know. my parents thought I was well mannered but I got influenced by friends and we got yelled at by the management just cause we were bouncing off the walls.

So it's personal opinion. In mine......I wouldn't let them roam alone. Much better to keep them close by.
    Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust!

I'm going to be a Princess In Waiting at Disneyland!!
    June 9-12th, 2007

I would not the kids go alone for long periods of time, but say you are in Tomorrowland and they want to ride Space Mountain and you want to walk through the shops, you can meet them back at the exit. I think the proper age for a child to wander around with friends is around 13 or 14, that is when my parents started to let out group do what we want. Also try to give them a cell phone, not walkie talkies.
    -Jeff Wayne
    Disneyland Cast Member

Making dreams come true...

Well we both (kids and I) have cell phones and walkie talkies. I think since it is just me and the 3 kids, I wouldn't mind hanging out with them (lol). I trust my kids very much, its the others I question. So we will all just hang together. Mabey I can get them to ride some of the good rides with me (like there are any bad rides).

We're leaving in the morning. WOO HOO I'm so excited, I feel like a kid again.
    Susan

I think 10 through 12 is a bit young yet. My brother is 13 and the last time we went, we didn't let him off by himself with his friend. For short distances, yes. If they wanted to run over to a ride and get a fast pass or go into a shop by themselves, sure. But to be alone for any extended period of time I think is not such a good idea. While Disney does offer a great sense of security, maybe put off the alone time for another couple of years.
    STEPHANNIE

*_-_Oo-de-lally, oo-de-lally, golly what a day!_-_*

I'm a 'kid' and I think that 10 and 12 is too young. If the oldest kid was a little older, more like 15 or 14, maybe it would be a better idea but for now they shouldn't go off. Its easy to get lost and although I personally think disney is safe, you never know
    "He was a lovely boy, clad in skeleton leaves and the juices that ooze out of trees.."

Actually, I live here (8 miles from DLR) and though most people think DLR is safe, there are 268 registered offenders under California's Megan's Law in the city of Anaheim alone.

While I am not trying to scare anyone, I would not deceive anyone by saying that DLR is 100% safe. No place is.

Ask any parent who has had a child molested or worse, if they thought that their child was brighter than average and capable of making quality decisions. I am sure they would say that "Yes, he/she is/was very mature for his/her age."

We do not live in a perfect world. As a nurse I have had the misfortune of seeing both children that have been abused, and parents that have had their children abducted. Neither are sights I ever want to see again.
    ~ MickeysGirl șoș
    ~ Gotta Love the Mouse! șoș

Quote Originally Posted by Tink01
    I'm a 'kid' and I think that 10 and 12 is too young. If the oldest kid was a little older, more like 15 or 14, maybe it would be a better idea but for now they shouldn't go off. Its easy to get lost and although I personally think disney is safe, you never know
    I definately agree with Tink01. I too am a teen of 15 actually, and I barely started taking off with my older sister who is 16. I'm very protective of my other sister who is 10......I wont even let her go into the DL bathroom by herself so I would wait until your kids get older.
    Disneyland

3/08/08 through 3/13/08.

I can't wait!!

Quote Originally Posted by MickeysGirl
    Actually, I live here (8 miles from DLR) and though most people think DLR is safe, there are 268 registered offenders under California's Megan's Law in the city of Anaheim alone.

While I am not trying to scare anyone, I would not deceive anyone by saying that DLR is 100% safe. No place is.

Ask any parent who has had a child molested or worse, if they thought that their child was brighter than average and capable of making quality decisions. I am sure they would say that "Yes, he/she is/was very mature for his/her age."

We do not live in a perfect world. As a nurse I have had the misfortune of seeing both children that have been abused, and parents that have had their children abducted. Neither are sights I ever want to see again.
    I think this is good advice . My daughter is 16 + my friends daughter is 13 if they do want to go off on their own it will be for an agreed time + we will be in the same park .

Well let me tell you how it went. As soon as we got there it was chaios. They wanted to do everything all at one time. And they wanted to do one thing at one end of the park and something else at the other end. Finally when we get to ToonTown, I did let them go and told them to be back at a certain time. They came back early cause they wanted to ride Roger Rabbit and the wait was 30 min. I let them go and wait in line while I waited under the misting umbrellas. It was a VERY NICE rest. Well needed.

They did very good. They knew where to find me and had no problems doing so. We had a blast. Thanks to everyone for your advice.
    Susan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast