"Free" stuff at Disney World
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face "Free" stuff at Disney World

Since I am basically married to a cheapskate, I did find a couple of "free" things at Disney World on our last trip and thought I would share it with everyone. Of course, some of these do require theme park admission so it's not entirely free.

1. Towel animals - We were not lucky enough to get towel animals in our room at Pop but when we visited the Polynesian resort one day, Mousekeeping had a table set up in the lobby and was teaching parents and kids how to make towel animals. Of all the beautiful and elaborate things that she could have chosen, my daughter picks the little bunny rabbit. Now we have a cute towel bunny and I know how to make it! It's actually very simple.

2. At The Land at Epcot, there is a section where Junior Chefs can learn to "make" chocolate chip cookies. When they are done, they each get two chocolate chip cookies and they get to keep their cute little paper chef hats with their names on them.

3. At Innoventions at Epcot, there is PlasticWorks where you can "build" a robot and after you race it on the computer (you will be actually running to make your robot run) then you get to make an actual plastic robot that you can take home with you. Of all the souveneirs we got, of course this is my children's favorite.

4. There's a small section in Epcot near the Character meet and greet where you can sample different types of flavored coke made all around the world. It's a nice place to stop at especially when it's hot outside for a cool drink. I saw MANY people there drinking cup after cup of soda (my husband being one of them). I'm just too embarrassed to do that but that's just me.

5. In Japan pavilion at Epcot, thee is a candymaker who will pick 6 people who she will make animal candies for. However, if you really want a candy you've got to be there waiting for her and standing in the front of the cart. As a side note, I cannot believe how many inconsiderate and rude people there are who will try to push children out of the way or just plop their child in front of yours to try to get a candy. I've noticed this at the character greets and at the shows too like Playhouse Disney. This did ruin my vacation a little bit because I always remember being happy and enjoying the "magic" and friendliness that I always associate with Disney and there are these rude people! Just because they paid money doesn't mean that they can be rude; we paid too! Anyway I'll get off my soapbox now.

6. In Epcot there are KidCots areas where children can collect masks in the world showcase and a necklacy thing at The Land, etc. These are great and in China the lady there wrote my daughter's name in Chinese based on the sound of her name and also told her what year she was born in (such as year of the ram, dragon, etc.).

7. Just because she knows how to act cute my 2 year old got free stickers from various CMs at Pop, and the different parks. She caught on pretty quickly to this one.

I'm sure there's lots more but that's the most I can think of for now. I hope this helps someone!
    Two drifters off to see the world.
    There's such a lot of world to see.
    - Moon River

Thank you for taking the time to share your info with us !
    Rick
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our childen"
    Walt Disney
    Talk Disney Administrator

I absolutely love those towel animals! Thanks for sharing this with us!
    Bridget
    Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, Zip-a-dee-day, Wonderful feeling, W
    onderful day!
    WDWCP: May 2006 - January 2007

..Where Dreams Come True..

Speaking of towel animals last year my kids had some stuff'd animals on the bed and Mousekeeping put them together in like a little scene along with some towel animals.

Dont forget there are numerous water fountains around the parks to get a free sip of water.

Just Beth now! ****I Love WDW****
    "Drink up me Hardees... Yo Ho"
    One day in Disney is better than none !!!
    "A man has to believe in something... I believe i will have another drink"

Thumbs up Freebies

Other Freebies:

Wilderness Lodge, and probably other big resorts, usually offer tours of the resort for free. Ask a CM at the desk. WL offered a tour of all the restaurants on site, feeding us HUGE ribs at the somehouse out back where they prepare all the meats, desert at the family restaurant and the chef at Artist Pointe came out to share flaming salmon cooked on a cedar plank. When we returned later for dinner and again met the chef he treated my party to a huge tray of free desserts. [not common]

MK boat launch is a wonderful freebie that is about more than just getting someplace! Take a launch to WL, Grand Floridian or the Polynesien. At the Poly, go to the beach at night and watch the fireworks from a hammock.

And if you take a launch to the Campground in the evening- walk over to the big bonfire where Mickey is making s'mores and they show disney movies outside, under the stars!

[Of course, I always admonish those with tight purse strings to relax while on property and let it go....nothing can ruin a great time faster than someone pinching pennies...]
    "Clean Cup! Clean Cup! Move down..."

[Of course, I always admonish those with tight purse strings to relax while on property and let it go....nothing can ruin a great time faster than someone pinching pennies...]
    Tell that to my husband . . . PLEASE!!!!
    Two drifters off to see the world.
    There's such a lot of world to see.
    - Moon River

Those are all great .. thanks for sharing !!

As far as pinching pennies, I think that some families are there on a very tight budget, sometimes its the only way they can manage a trip. I see no fault in that. While I myself like to bring extra "splurging" money, not everyone has that same opportunity. Just my 2 cents (no pun intended)
    "To the youngsters of today, I say Believe In The Future ..." - Walt Disney

Michelle

Free soda at Club Cool in Epcot!

Free ride in the front of the monorail with the driver, if you request it before anyone else does!

Free aspirin (and bandaids and antacid...) at the First Aid offices inside the parks! Okay, this one isn't a fun freebie, but it's nice to know it's there.

Free photo emails to your loved ones at the What If Labs in Epcot (at the Figment ride)!
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

Re: "Free" stuff at Disney World

I'm taking notes on all these freebies as unfortunately our daily budget plummeted recently due to a drop in the finances for the household. We're going to have to manage on about 200 dollars a day for 3 adults and 2 small childred for food and souviners. We'll manage some how hopefully the freebies will help enhance the magic and save some budget

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_Heart
    I'm taking notes on all these freebies as unfortunately our daily budget plummeted recently due to a drop in the finances for the household. We're going to have to manage on about 200 dollars a day for 3 adults and 2 small childred for food and souviners. We'll manage some how hopefully the freebies will help enhance the magic and save some budget
    you are doing the meal plan, right? that is one of THE best ways to save money when you have small kids
    WDW October ? 1992
    WDW CM August 2003- January 2004
    WDW July 7th- 11th 2006
    WDW October 28th- November 1st 2006
    WDW September 25th- 30th 2009

-Stephanie

unfortunately couldn't afford the meal plan we're just going to do alot of sharing.
    we'll manage but it's going to be tight. I hoped to do the meal plan but I came up short at the last minute infact we barely managed to pay off our vacataion in time. It will all be good though. WERE GOING TO DISNEY WORLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerluv
    ...1. Towel animals - We were not lucky enough to get towel animals in our room at Pop but when we visited the Polynesian resort one day, Mousekeeping had a table set up in the lobby and was teaching parents and kids how to make towel animals. Of all the beautiful and elaborate things that she could have chosen, my daughter picks the little bunny rabbit. Now we have a cute towel bunny and I know how to make it! It's actually very simple...
    We got the duck one when we went. My daughter still has it in her keepsake box. Or I should say keepsake chest. I made each of us a 3ft X 3ft wooden box, stained it and carved our trip and dates of trip into the lid for our souveniers. The next trip I hope we can get another one for my son.

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerluv
    As a side note, I cannot believe how many inconsiderate and rude people there are who will try to push children out of the way or just plop their child in front of yours to try to get a candy. I've noticed this at the character greets and at the shows too like Playhouse Disney. This did ruin my vacation a little bit because I always remember being happy and enjoying the "magic" and friendliness that I always associate with Disney and there are these rude people! Just because they paid money doesn't mean that they can be rude; we paid too! Anyway I'll get off my soapbox now.
    YES!!! My wife and I go usually get very frustrated with the seemingly large number of rude inconsiderate people. Disney is supposed to be a place where everyone is happy and nice.

I remember this one group of people that just started snapping pictures with the flashbulbs on POTC. I would normally not complain but he turned around on the boat in front of us and basically blinded me with the flash. It really ruins the ride.

We also get the people, who I guess feel that their kids are more important than everyone else. They will walk right in front of you and put their kid on their shoulders. I find myself holding everything back just not to tell them, "Excuse me, everyone behind you would also like to see the parade."

Even if I did say something...they would probably think that I was rude for telling them something.

Exit Soapbox
    November '06 - Wilderness Lodge & Dolphin
    November '05 - Dolphin
    November '04 - Polynesian & Animal Kingdom Lodge
    November '03 - Animal Kingdom Lodge

For those of you that are taking a small child (under 3 years old) that will not be on the actual "Disney Package", they will not receive a room key since all their stuff is relatively free. However, when we went in '05 our son was 2 and we simply asked the CM at the check in desk for a room key for him as a Disney souvenir. The CM smiled and said "Sure! That's no problem at all.". And now he has one for himself as his first room key card. It was an unusable card. I think it would open the door to the room but that was all. It wouldn't gain entry to the parks or anything but it was very neat to have.

Also, if your anniversary or birthday falls on a day during your trip, tell the CM when booking (or call back and ask them to add it to the res) and when you arrive at your resort you should get a "certificate" for the occasion as a souvenir. For our '05 trip it was our 11th anniversary and when we got to the resort the CM gave us a Happy 40th Anniversary certificate!! LOL When we started laughing she asked us what was funny. When we told her she started laughing and thought it was odd that two pretty young people were celebrating their 40th anniversary. But we decided to keep the 40th one because it was a funny Disney memory.

WOW great information

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast