Tips please? New first timer to WDW - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    What kind of tips are you after: Dining recommendations, resort recommendations, itineraries, where to find deals, transportation suggestions? There is a lot to this. What are you looking for? Let us help!

WDW Jan. 2000
    WDW Dec. 6-12 2005
    Next Trip....When???????

We always stay on site in a value resort we cant see spending the xtra $$ to just sleep and shower ..The next trip down we are looking at a group of maybe 10 so we are renting a house.That way we are saving money on food as well.
    Tips..... Take your time when in the parks figure out what u want to see thats in important to u and ur group.
    *** Watch the later parade or show if its offered it wont be as crowded.
    *** If the condo has a washer and dryer wash ur clothes so then u wont have to pack as much as if u were staying in a hotel..
    ***Check out the outlet malls that have Disney stores in them cause u can find stuff in there that they sell in the parks as well.
    *** Make ur ressies for the places u want to eat at that will help..
    ***Figure out a some kind of budget for food and other things thats always works..
    ***FASTPASS every ride that has it!!!!!
    If the characters are out when there is a showing going on the line to get pics arent that long but when the show ends they leave till the crowd dies down..
    Wendy(DM)Don(DD),Kyle(DS),Kiersten(DD)Making my kids crazy for the world like their crazed mom..

Hi and welcome!You get to go to WDW. Not much gets better than that.
    I've stayed on and off property. I prefer on property because of the convenience of transportation, extra magic hours and just the extra magic.
    But any time at Disney is great. tips.... hmmmmm.
    *Ride rides during the 1st parade, view the 2nd one
    *Stay in lines right up to closing, they will finish the line
    *Use the fast pass priviledge
    *Get the park hopper tickets-that way you can move around and always end the night at the park that closes latest
    *Figure out if and where you want to eat in the park and make your priority seating
    *If you have teens traveling with you, get walkie talkies or cell phones and turn them loose.
    Check into the photo pass- take as many pic's as you can (day, night,1 person, 2people, whole group, with characters, etc.) the more pics taken the greater the deal.
    *Eat a Dole Whip float
    *When you get into MK go directly to Adventureland. Ride Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain and Haunted Mansion first before the crowd gets there. They will all start in Fantasyland
    *In Epcot do the World Showcase in the morning and the rest in the afternoon and evening- Most people will do the opposite
    *Relax, slow down and soak up some magic.
    *Take some time and watch the castle turn colors at night
    *Eat dinner at one of the Resorts. I personally like the Wilderness Lodge-Whispering Canyon (fun, Fun, Fun and good eats) and the Polynesian- Ohana
    (great to watch the fireworks over the castle while eating dinner if you time your priority seating right.)
    HAVE FUN MAKE MEMORIES
    My oh My what a wonderful day!

Wow Depfen! Great tips!
    Have a Magical Day!

Quote Originally Posted by debfen
    *Eat dinner at one of the Resorts. I personally like the Wilderness Lodge-Whispering Canyon (fun, Fun, Fun and good eats) and the Polynesian- Ohana
    (great to watch the fireworks over the castle while eating dinner if you time your priority seating right.)
    That's a great tip about eating at one of the resorts. We ate at Whispering Canyon as well and it was a lot of fun and terrific, plus they had all you can drink milk shakes, can't beat that. Oh and if you go ask your server where you can buy a pack of gum.
    Go Noles! Ryan

Lightbulb Hey Mystery Minnie

I've become a huge fan of becoming an annual pass holder. We are a small family so it's cost effective. I think it is less then twice as much as a five day hopper and you can sometimes get discount Disney Hotel rooms,and Meal Discount Passes for a small fee. As dumb as it sounds it's all about doing the math and calling 407-WDISNEY and asking the questions you want answered.
    Information wont always be volunteered without the question. BUT we probably know more then they do at this point...HA! HA! LOL

p.s. I like "The Passporter" book too.
    LETS U B U

Oh yeah, I might have a tip that could make or break your trip. Blisters are not fun. Pamper your feet. I packed 4 different pairs of shoes. ( To some, thats too many to others they can't believe I ONLY packed 4 pair) Each day I would wear a different pair of shoes. No matter how broke in or how comfortable a pair of shoes are, they are still going to rub one area and make it sore. So, give that spot a break and wear a different pair of shoes the next day. Also pack a fresh pair of socks in your bag. Some time during the day. Stop. Change your socks and give those little tootsies a brief rub, maybe a little powder and you'll be amazed at how refreshed you will feel. At the end of the day, take a soak in the hot tub, or in the bath tub. Let those muscles relax and then rub your feet and legs with a lotion that has peppermint in it. Take along some of those Band Aids that are for blisters. My dd got a blister, and we put one of those on and it was cleared up and gave her no problems the next day. It cushions and helps it to heal. Unless you're a marathon walker, your body isn't used to the stress you're going to put it thru at WDW. Pamper it a little.

I totally agree with defan! We actually got little travel first aid kits to put in our fanny packs! Oh...don't for get to bring anti bactieal(sp?) wipes in the fanny packs too! It's great for a freshen up wipe for the public restrooms. We travel all the way from La. and My husband is almost phobic about usuing public restrooms. The wipes really made it easier for him...made the rest of us feel better also!

Catz

One great pair of shoes can change your life..."Cinderella

click here to become a premium member

i really enjoy this web site

Quote Originally Posted by SleepinCatz
    I totally agree with defan! We actually got little travel first aid kits to put in our fanny packs! Oh...don't for get to bring anti bactieal(sp?) wipes in the fanny packs too! It's great for a freshen up wipe for the public restrooms. We travel all the way from La. and My husband is almost phobic about usuing public restrooms. The wipes really made it easier for him...made the rest of us feel better also!

Catz
    Another thing that is great to bring is a small bottle of Germ X (hand sanitizer), it will fit in a fanny pack or back pack. Everyone is constantly running their hands on rails or que lines. It is also refreshing

Re: Tips please? New first timer to WDW

I love Disney World and have been there over 10 times!!!!!!!!! I have been a cast member in the past and I am a DVC member. I would say if you are traveling with kids take a break in the afternoon evern if they are older. This is so that your kids won't be °°°°°° and ruin the magic. I would also saty on the property. This is so you can take in all the magic that Disney offers and you get extended park hours. I have stayed at almost all the DVC resorts except Old Key West, and Beach Club. I would stay in a resort that is close to almost all the parks. I have stayed in the BoardWalk Villas and they are in walking distance of Epcot. I would also use the photo pass. This is so your whole party can be in all your photos. I hope this information helps!!!

I hope you have a magical trip!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Mom View Post
    A trip to Disney is Magical no matter where you decide to stay! Some people stay off property for money reasons, or sometimes it's easier if you have a large group. We have been fortunate enough to be able to stay on property for our Disney trips. We stay at the value resorts to save money that way. We enjoy not having to use a car and love the Disney transportation. We enjoy having the Disney Magic for our whole trip. I'm not saying our way is the right way, it's just the way we enjoy our Disney Magic. You will have a wonderful time no matter where you stay!
    OK... here goes!! Growing up we NEVER stayed on property because it was far too expensive, then 2 yrs ago we went as a large group, 3 kids, 7 adults!! We stayed off property, around the block from downtown disney and I have to say it was magnificent!! The rooms were great, and the prices were amazing!!! That said, we stayed on property 3 months later at the swan and dolphin! The convience was great with the boats, HATED and still do the busses and the rooms were ok! We have been 7xs since that trip and have also stayed at POP Centurey and ALL STAR Sports... sooooo NEVER staying at the values again, the cleanliness was not so clean, the service was so so, the busses were ridiculous and it just was not what we had hoped for. They did not even give the WDW magic feel. For the money, it is far more economical to stay off unless there is a tremendous special. Our upcoming trip in Dec we are split between Carribean Beach for the start and then the Swan and Dolphin. We have actually been considering cancelly our ressie at CB and staying at our usual off property hotel, the Sheraton Safari! It is a great hotel and there is a great Disney feel with large rooms and great service. There is a killer pool that the kids love as well, they even have hourly shuttles to ALL of the parks and it is free! All that said, it really depends what you are looking for, how many people and your budget! Lasy uear I booked a Grand Gathering for 16ppl on property (Value Resort) including the dining plan and tickets for $10,800!!! Pros are that they pick you up at the airport and you have transport everywhere on property. The cons, if you want to go anywhere else you will still need a car. I am planning to stay at the Polynesion in 3 years and renew my vows there! That will be costly!!!
    As far as tickets, you will need to think exactly what you want to do. I think as a first timer, you are better off getting the multi-day base tickets. That way you devote your entire day to one park and you won't feel you have to go to another park because you got the parkhopper and paid all of that extra money for it.
    If you have more specific questions feel free to ask!! Hope that info helps!
    Dreams Come True...

Hey guys, this is a 3-year-old thread (just a heads up).
    Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012,Fantasy: 20-27, 2012, Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013,Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014,Dream: Sept 14-18, 2015
    TD Moderator

I'm closing this thread - 3 years old
    Disneyland December 1985, Walt Disney World July 1991
    Walt Disney World July 1993, Walt Disney World February 2004

Honeymoon @ Pop Century November 2005
    DD Judith, born September 9, 2006, DD Julia, born Dec. 16, 2007

“The way to get started is to quit talking and start doing" Walt Disney

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12