why not universal?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

why not universal?

ok bear with me. i have to ask this. does anybody else feel it is weird that all these accidents or incidents or whatever you call them with disney. the deaths and people getting sick only happens at disney. from the one and only time i have been there and the once my DD was there universal seems to have more "thrill rides" then disney but you never hear a peep out of them about any problems. i find it hard to believe that no one gets ill or worse there. the one time i did hear about someone it seems to have been reported and then went away much quicker then disney accidents do.
    I am just wondering and please i am not diminishing the horror for the families of those that have died at disney. anyone?
    Last edited by faerie dust; 07-02-2006 at 12:25 PM.

Re: why not universal?

I have been trying to wrap my mind around that issue myself. I have many friends as well as my other half working at Universal and there are many reports which seem to slip under the radar over there. Disney is Disney and therefore a much larger target for such issues to be grabbed up by the media. And generally, it seems to be more young children with pre-existing health issues which the parents tend to ignore or feel that they will be safe despite all warnings posted on attractions which could cause ill feelings, discomfort or worse. Sad though these recent deaths in the past few years been tragic, but if the parents were cogniscent of their offsprings health issues, then the parents are at fault as much if not much more than the theme parks. Also, Universal's thrill rides are so obvious that most parents would never allow their younger children to go on things like Hulk or Mummy, etc. So there is a safety factor at Universal whereas people still think that Disney is always going to be safe and secure which, with health issues, is not the case.
    ~o~ MouseMan ~o~ TD Admin ~o~

I would have to go along with Ed on this issue . When you are the king of the hill , you make the national press a whole lot more .
    I also just did a web search and sadly , deaths at theme parks does not seem to be all that uncommon .
    I would not want to start a war on which park is safer , Disney or Universal , but I found many , many accidents , and a few deaths when I asked the question, theme parks accidents , on Google .
    Rick
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our childen"
    Walt Disney
    Talk Disney Administrator

this is so sad. I agree with everything you both said. I still find it riduculous that because disney is disney the media seems to want to dirty it up. i think along with the reprots it should also include that the person had pre-existing health problems. it seems the inital report is in bold the follow-up where it is found disney was not at fault is much quieter. example the women from Germany she had to know she had severe high blood pressure yet she went on a ride that had warnings all over the place yet that was not reported nearly as loud as her inital death...........not casting blame just we all must take some responsibility for our own health and welfare. maybe disney should have one of those disclaimers you find on other things. you know parking garages, bus station etc. inidcating if you know you have health problems they are not responsible if you are stupid enough to ignore the warnings.
    each time disney gets hit with a law suit they are not to blame in they have to recoup that money some where. just IMHO

Rick brings up a point that made me think of something else involving issues of this nature and more.

The media tends to pump things out to it's viewers/readers to make them watch their stations and/or read their print media. It's called business. The more they can hype something past the point the better the are off. One must sometimes listen to what the media hypes then stand back and gather more info from other sources in order to see what is truly going on. Case in point, the way that New Orleans and Katrina were served up to the public is vastly different from the truth. We saw many Afro-American's on camera bemoaning the situation where as there were just as many Caucasians lost and disgruntled after the storm yet the media refused to film them. Not good news. Get everyone across the country pumped up against the situation in a race issue whereas that was not the total case. Afro-American areas were demolished, true, but the ratio of Caucasian and Mixed areas was far greater and far more devestating. I am Caucasian and lost a number of family members to Katrina and yet all I continnued to hear from people not from the area nor even in the same state was how racist everything was, that only the Afro-American areas were lost and they were the main group floundering afterwards. It simply was not the case nor true...but it certainly made people across the country tune in for more falsified reports of a biased nature which in turn pumped up the ratings/sales of said media. There was the famous shots taken of two groups, one Caucasian and one Afro-Amer wher the first group had taken food from a store to exist afterwards and the second group made a raft to float their plasma TV, designer shoes and clothes and other electronics out of several stores. Which group was trying to survive after a devestating and life altering storm and which group was attempting to benefit from the same situation? Which group was at fault? Both. But in such a life altering situation, the police allowed people to take food to exist upon in the weeks after the storm where as the people taking the electronics and designer clothes...how could they exist on that? Yet Afro-American groups protested the fact that the second group was caught and arrested for their plunder whereas the Caucasian group was "allowed to go free without arrest". Perspective. Something one must always maintain when accepting any information from the media at alll times.

In the case of theme park accidents and deaths, it is very sad news indeed, but I firmly believe in these instances that the parents must take major responsibility.

In this PC world one is not supposed to point out the obvious truths and facts unless if another group/gender/race is placed to blame. This in itself is disgusting a practice and yet, the truth is out there surrounded by subterfuge and hidden information. All we can do in this instance is wait to see what is uncovered...and of course...the inevitable lawsuits which always occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Anim8Ed
    Rick brings up a point that made me think of something else involving issues of this nature and more.

The media tends to pump things out to it's viewers/readers to make them watch their stations and/or read their print media. It's called business. The more they can hype something past the point the better the are off. One must sometimes listen to what the media hypes then stand back and gather more info from other sources in order to see what is truly going on. Case in point, the way that New Orleans and Katrina were served up to the public is vastly different from the truth. We saw many Afro-American's on camera bemoaning the situation where as there were just as many Caucasians lost and disgruntled after the storm yet the media refused to film them. Not good news. Get everyone across the country pumped up against the situation in a race issue whereas that was not the total case. Afro-American areas were demolished, true, but the ratio of Caucasian and Mixed areas was far greater and far more devestating. I am Caucasian and lost a number of family members to Katrina and yet all I continnued to hear from people not from the area nor even in the same state was how racist everything was, that only the Afro-American areas were lost and they were the main group floundering afterwards. It simply was not the case nor true...but it certainly made people across the country tune in for more falsified reports of a biased nature which in turn pumped up the ratings/sales of said media. There was the famous shots taken of two groups, one Caucasian and one Afro-Amer wher the first group had taken food from a store to exist afterwards and the second group made a raft to float their plasma TV, designer shoes and clothes and other electronics out of several stores. Which group was trying to survive after a devestating and life altering storm and which group was attempting to benefit from the same situation? Which group was at fault? Both. But in such a life altering situation, the police allowed people to take food to exist upon in the weeks after the storm where as the people taking the electronics and designer clothes...how could they exist on that? Yet Afro-American groups protested the fact that the second group was caught and arrested for their plunder whereas the Caucasian group was "allowed to go free without arrest". Perspective. Something one must always maintain when accepting any information from the media at alll times.

In the case of theme park accidents and deaths, it is very sad news indeed, but I firmly believe in these instances that the parents must take major responsibility.

In this PC world one is not supposed to point out the obvious truths and facts unless if another group/gender/race is placed to blame. This in itself is disgusting a practice and yet, the truth is out there surrounded by subterfuge and hidden information. All we can do in this instance is wait to see what is uncovered...and of course...the inevitable lawsuits which always occur.

please accept my sympathy on the lose of your friends and family in Katrina this is way too late but just so you know how sorrow i am I was not aware that you lost people you loved.

Thank you. It was devestating but as I stated above, the media does tend to spin things to make it's viewers believe what they want them to believe no matter what the real truth is. I stated what I stated above as a native New Orleanian who lost so much and heard so much from friends and relatives during that time still down there afterwards and watching the media as it spun the facts and figures out of all proportion as they stumbled over themselves to give the public what it wanted. More trauma and problems and yes, lies, to better their ratings. It was a feeding frenzy the likes of which this country has never experienced other than 9-11 and yet, that was treated with respect and dignity. Katrina and New Orleans was not. Why? Many people believe New Orleans to be nothing more than the Soddom and Gomorrah of the South which it most certainly is not. There's so much more there than the media would care for people to understand. Particularly with the spring break collegiate mentality that has pervaded the celebration of Mardi Gras. The bearing of one's upper torso for cameras and beads only became a part of the celebration thanks to spring breakers in the past 15-20 years or so yet that is what the media insists on displaying to the world. Once again there is so much more to it and it is a family oriented celebration of life and art and history. One get's glimpses of it here and ther through the media but it's the smarmy aspects that infiltrate most broadcasts of the event.

Take the View's situation right now and the public battle as it's been descirbed by...the media...between Barbara Walters and Star Jones. There is a lot of information missing in their coverage of it all. No matter what one's stance is on the subject...don't you feel as though there is a lot of information missing rather than the childish "cat fight" the media is presenng to us?

So too is it with the death of a person on Theme Park property. Smut and death sell. The media knows this and will most certainly wring this latest death on Disney property for all it's worth and sadly, not 100% honestly. They will attempt to turn as many people off Disney at it's peak attendance time and feel justified...until the next disaster or trauma comes along.

As Ed said, this tends to be a very un-pc issue and as such please don't take offense to anything said by anyone. That said my take on it is probably skewed much as Ed's is.
    With so many 24 hour news channels needing to fill time with sensationalist reports something like this is eaten up quickly and fed to the wolves immediately. Not allowed on property for this? No biggie let's just fly in a news helicopter to see a few cm's standing outside a gate, the attraction and an empty parking lot/staging area behind RnR. Anything to add to the severity or intensity of the situation. Another key point is that sadly all you hear is the track record of incidents at Disney with no emphasis to the fact that all were very separate cases with nothing in common besides being on a large resort property.
    Unfortunately though there's an old maxim that applies here as well: Follow the money: and with Disney being the corporation it is with its large pockets this all becomes about taking a shot at a company with a good public image to help benefit a bottom line for someone else.
    Go Noles! Ryan

I have to agree with what everyone is saying. The media is very slanted. So rarely is there a journalist out there who is objective and unbiased. Example: Look at the whole situation with Iraq and the Middle East. The more "liberal" media will report the bad things that are happening because of the war and the horrible things that VERY VERY few members of our military have done. You never hear about the good that is being done over there, and the great contributions our military has made. On the other hand, the more "conservative" media will show how wonderful things are and how the United States is defeating terrorism while walking hand in hand with the Iraqis. The media, for the most part, will tell you what they think will sell, and what they want you to hear in order to meet their own needs. This is why I am very selective as to what newspapers I read and whom I listen to. Objectivity within the media is so difficult to find, yet when you do find it, it's a gem that you don't want to let go of. I am most certainly not trying to engage in polemics here, but this is the best example I could think of.
    That being said, Disney practically owns the world. Universal, not so much. When something happens at Disney, the whole world will view it and be familiar with it. I may be wrong, but can the same be said for Universal? Like Ed said, smut sells. I remember a while back hearing about a string of deaths at Six Flags. Granted, it wasn't as widely spread as Disney, and I believe that the reason is because on the whole scale, people won't pay as much attention to Six Flags. Disney, however, everyone sits on the edges of their seats to find out what is going on. If anything, in a really bizarre and sick way, it's kind of a back handed compliment to the Disney corporation.

WDW:'84 '87 '89 '92 '99 '04 '07 '09/ DLR:'05 '07
    "I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing- that it was all started by a mouse." ~Walt Disney
    Always Remember, Never Forget! 9/11/01

I think that considering the number of people who are at Disney World on an average day, it surprises me that more people don't die. Especially if you take into consideration the increased heat and amount of walking that most people will experience there. I think Disney is a big target and they have a lot of obvious competition, which would certainly like any advantage over them, even if it is ugly. Most people probably don't realize how many people get killed/bitten by sharks or fall off of mountains in this country in high travel areas. That is mostly because the whole area's tourism $ will suffer if a big stink is made about it, so it is usually reported in the local papers and thats it. In Orlando, a problem at Disney will probably help out some of the many other attractions, even if only for the temporary.
    CELEBRATING 20 YEARS OF DISNEY VACATIONS
    2007 (Jan) Coronado Springs, (Mar, May & July) Pop Century2006 (May) All-Star Music, (Nov) Contemporary,2005 (June) off-site, (July) Beach Club, (Nov) Polynesian
    2004 (Nov) All-Star Music,2003 (July) All-Star Music
    2000 (Apr) Dolphin
    1999 (Apr) Disneyland
    1987 My first Disney trip at age 7!

I hate to say it, but I can't and don't watch the news anymore. I mean, with the war and everything, it's the same old stuff. Not to mention, you can never tell what is true and what is gossip.

And that's all I'm going to say 'bout that.
    Happy Squeezy Hugs-N-Stuff,
    KTboo
    I'd Rather Be At Walt Disney World!
    *Dreaming of being a Cast Member*

Quote Originally Posted by ktboo0702
    I hate to say it, but I can't and don't watch the news anymore. I mean, with the war and everything, it's the same old stuff. Not to mention, you can never tell what is true and what is gossip.

And that's all I'm going to say 'bout that.
    i have a low limit for the news i cant stand all of the death and pain. it is oversaturation.

I don't think that the media is "targeting" Disney. They have much better things to do than to go after a huge company just because the "little guy" doesn't like them. The reason these incidents seem to always come from Disney is simply because Disney is a "global" company. As much as people like Universal Studios, at the end of the day they are a much smaller entity than Disney. Things like a death at that park or any other smaller operation would simply be a local report. For example, at our Six Flags down the road from me, a child died a couple of years ago while riding one of the roller coasters. (heart condition) And when I was younger a roller coaster called the King Cobra (at Paramounts Kings Island) came off the tracks injuring everyone on board (no deaths thankfully) as I watched. Nothing was said about either of these nationally even though Six Flags and Paramount are rather large companies. Heck, Paramounts Kings Island has had plenty of people die on their rides but you never hear about it because they aren't a "global" company. I remember hearing about a young girl dieing there on a ride called the Bat because she stood up when the ride stopped prematurely and when it took off she fell out. Someone else died on a ride there called the Vortex for the same reason.

Disney just gets a lot more press about these because they are a much larger entity.

Could I offer up another lateral thought - not a conflicting one -

Disney probably hosts more visitors than anywhere else on earth. Therefore it stands to reason it hosts more ill or unwell visitors, whether or not the visitors know they are ill or unwell, than other places.

I think the majority of the deaths have been linked to preexisting health issues - whether parties were previously aware of them or not. What a tragedy - can you imagine? Ugh. Makes me want to herd the kids off for an angiogram and an MRI of the thoracic cavity before going on any rides.

Oh, and the rides where people are plastered and stand up on them and THEN die? Well come on now - just give me a break.

WDW Jan. 2000
    WDW Dec. 6-12 2005
    Next Trip....When???????

Quote Originally Posted by G00fyDad
    I don't think that the media is "targeting" Disney. They have much better things to do than to go after a huge company just because the "little guy" doesn't like them. The reason these incidents seem to always come from Disney is simply because Disney is a "global" company. As much as people like Universal Studios, at the end of the day they are a much smaller entity than Disney. Things like a death at that park or any other smaller operation would simply be a local report. For example, at our Six Flags down the road from me, a child died a couple of years ago while riding one of the roller coasters. (heart condition) And when I was younger a roller coaster called the King Cobra (at Paramounts Kings Island) came off the tracks injuring everyone on board (no deaths thankfully) as I watched. Nothing was said about either of these nationally even though Six Flags and Paramount are rather large companies. Heck, Paramounts Kings Island has had plenty of people die on their rides but you never hear about it because they aren't a "global" company. I remember hearing about a young girl dieing there on a ride called the Bat because she stood up when the ride stopped prematurely and when it took off she fell out. Someone else died on a ride there called the Vortex for the same reason.

Disney just gets a lot more press about these because they are a much larger entity.

I live near Paramounts Kings Dominion in Virginia and I can tell you that they have had their share of deaths and injuries in the past years and more currently in the past month. It is not uncommon for us to hear about people "falling out or off" of rides... Hello, they are called seat belts, safety harnesses and lap bars... you know those things that are on the ride that the cast members check (or at least are supposed to pretend to check) before you take off... ya... those things... you don't take them off or wiggle out of them while you are on the ride..... DUH And stuffing ice cream sandwiches into your kid's shoes to make him/her taller and "able" to ride a ride is NOT a good idea... not mention a lil messy, I would think.

It just amazes me how..... intresting people can be.
    Happy Squeezy Hugs-N-Stuff,
    KTboo
    I'd Rather Be At Walt Disney World!
    *Dreaming of being a Cast Member*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast