Planning First WDW and need some veteran advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Planning First WDW and need some veteran advice

I'm planning our 1st WDW trip and want to know when is the off season to go and where to get the best discounts. I got the planning guide from WDW but I figure you all have more experience and you have a first hand account. Any and all info is greatly appreciated.
    Susan

Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy.

Re: Planning First WDW and need some veteran advice

Great! I love planning!!!! When are you going? Are you staying on-site or off-site? Get a copy of The Unofficial Guide to WDW 2007 (it helped me a lot). Right now Disney has a GREAT offer that includes dining but it's only through Sept 22. For discounts, I look every day. Right now I may have to stay off-site on our next trip and I found codes for car rentals and hotels that really helped. www.mousesavers.com can help with the discount codes. They also have codes for Disney.

If you plan on staying on-site, call Disney and ask them to get you a quote. Then ask if there are any discounts for the dates you're planning. Remember that even if there are no discounts when you book, if they become available later, you can call and have themapply the code.
    Honeymoon @ Pop Century November 2006
    Quality Inn Int'l Drive November 2007
    Third year in a row November 2008
    Baby's first visit November 2011

Hi!
    Here is a tip I just learned about... If you book between Aug. 26 thru Sept sometime, Disney is adding on Free Dining to Magic Your Way packages. They did it last year too. here is a link to site that I heard this from mousesavers.com/packages.html#freedining
    Check out the whole site. it is awesome!
    Enjoy your first trip to Disney. I am sure you will have a blast!
    -Freya3

how do you add the countdown?

I've got it now...
    Last edited by freya3; 04-16-2007 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Love and laughs ,
    Freya3

I will go double chack and probably should before saying that i think that is for the Disney Visa Card holders only but will double check.

Basically there are a few times a year at low season but you can double check on disney.com Jan-March give or take a week in and around the holidays... after Spring break to late May.... end of august to begining of Oct there are probably other but check the site to be sure...

Mike
    "Drink up me Hardees... Yo Ho"
    One day in Disney is better than none !!!
    30+ trips and counting to WDW
    EW Contemp. 83, Contemp. 84, Ft. Wilderness 85 EW Contemp. 86,Class trip 86, Oak Island Cove 02, Radisson 03, Radisson 03, POR 04, Radisson 04 Renaissance Inn 04, POR 2\05, POP 3\05, POR 06, POR 07, POR 08, AKL 10\08, AKL 3\09, Jambo House 5\09........ too many to list now :-)

Thumbs up Re: Planning First WDW and need some veteran advice

Quote Originally Posted by mberenato
    I will go double chack and probably should before saying that i think that is for the Disney Visa Card holders only but will double check.
    Actually no, it's available to everyone, but the rooms are filling up, so if you want to get this offer you must call soon. Go to www.disneyworld.com for the details.

Just to clear things up. There are two separate promotions going on, Visa and Disney. Both are limited so check them out quick.
    Rick
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our childen"
    Walt Disney
    Talk Disney Administrator

When is the off season for WDW?
    Susan

Disney really helps you find the best times with the new link on their website. We have found the first week of January starting around the 3rd to be a great time for low crowds. Discounts are all relative and usually not huge, check with mousesavers.com often for they really give you good info. The free meal plan is the best deal that we have found and would not go to disney without getting it, even if we have to pay. You can find hotel discounts off Disney property but remember you then have to pay for parking every day and don't get those extra special Disney magic type treatment. I can't even begin to tell you how many times we have tried to do something and was told no until we mention that we are staying on property, and magically the doors open. One simple thing we do to save a little is to buy a 10 day park hopper pass with no expiration. We know we are going back to Disney again and again so this is a simple way to save.

I always tell people that you "can't not" have a good time at Disney. Have fun.

There are almost no crowds at the end of October, early November. We went there for our honeymoon year before last, Nov 4th to Nov 11th and the most we had to wait at super popular rides like Haunted Mansion was like 20 minutes. And even then, some CMs walked almost every five minutes down the line and act spooky... it was so fun! Then, the weather is nice and cool (for Florida!). We also went to Dinosaur at Animal Kingdom and rode it TWICE... both times we had the "trucks" all for ourselves, so the photos were quite cool! Then at Space Mountain, we were on line (it was a 45 min wait, so we did not get fastpases for that one) and suddenly, this guy asks us (from among the dozens of people waiting in line) if we are interested in using their fastpasses... due that very moment! so we did not wait at all!!! all in all, I have gone in August, in February, in December and in November, and I want to go back in November again... that is, if by then the school my little girl goes to accepts to give her work so she doesnt stay behind for missing classes!
    Last edited by TinkerTalina; 04-28-2007 at 05:38 PM.
    Disneyland December 1985, Walt Disney World July 1991
    Walt Disney World July 1993, Walt Disney World February 2004

Honeymoon @ Pop Century November 2005
    DD Judith, born September 9, 2006, DD Julia, born Dec. 16, 2007

“The way to get started is to quit talking and start doing" Walt Disney

If you decide to stay on property definitely get the meal plan even if it is not being offered free. It is a money saver as well as it makes budgeting easier. You can drive yourself nuts looking for "THE BEST DEAL" you can go to your local travel agent and they will give you the same price as disney or any other on line disney travel agency.

The last couple of trips we used magicaltravel.com. Same price but we get disney dollars back and like Disney if there is a promotion that comes up after you have payed for your trip you will get a refund. That is what you want to make sure of.

Have fun.
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes"

It's really hard to find deals that can get you on property and saving more than $20 when you compare with Disney's Packages. The first time I went, I spent months researching and preparing Excel worksheets comparing deals....The best one saved me about $14 total, so I went directly with Disney Travel and got my package. I'll never regret it. It took a lot of stress away.

pinchi2

I agree 2 trips ago my parents volunteered there time share. I pulled out my receipts from meals, pulled up airport transfers, parking cost, ticket cost, any thing that would apply and compared the cost. Granted we would have had a nice 3 bedroom beautiful resort " 4 miles from front gate" (actually 40 minutes away) our cost would have been less than a $100 cheaper. My husband suggested we do our own cooking part of the time to save money. Translation ... I would have done all cooking and cleaning.

Needless to say we had a hassle free stay on property
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes"

Are there any books you guys recommend reading on planning my trip?
    Susan

The Unofficial Guide to WDW (currentYear) is one we buy every year. Last year in a cost saving effort we also bought The Cheapskates Guide to WDW by Lewis and Lacey. (Book cost us $10 and I believe it saved us at least that much with ideas.) I liked the book but "Unofficial" is the best. Use mousesavers.com too.

Have fun planning but don't overplan and have a great vacation.. We are going again in August and I am already excited about it. This will the first time we don't have any kids with us. Give Mickey our best when you see him.

Quote Originally Posted by i_luv_tink
    When is the off season for WDW?
    Off season is Aug. through Nov. But for the free dining plan usually late Aug through Sept.

Quote Originally Posted by i_luv_tink
    Are there any books you guys recommend reading on planning my trip?
    The Fodors guide is pretty good too. It tells you all about on and off site lodging. Also it gives you little tid-bits about the parks and how to best navigate the parks and rides. It is a fun guide.

Quote Originally Posted by eyeofachild
    pinchi2

I agree 2 trips ago my parents volunteered there time share. I pulled out my receipts from meals, pulled up airport transfers, parking cost, ticket cost, any thing that would apply and compared the cost. Granted we would have had a nice 3 bedroom beautiful resort " 4 miles from front gate" (actually 40 minutes away) our cost would have been less than a $100 cheaper. My husband suggested we do our own cooking part of the time to save money. Translation ... I would have done all cooking and cleaning.

Needless to say we had a hassle free stay on property
    It is so worth it to stay on property!
    Last edited by freya3; 06-13-2007 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Love and laughs ,
    Freya3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast