Penny Watchers !
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Talking Penny Watchers !

Since so many of us are in the same situation, not overwhelmed with worldy goods and wanting to visit Disney's as much as we can, I figured we could start some sort of thread or group where we could share what we have done say every week, saving towards a Disney trip, for example:

Today I started a new savings account, where I will deposit a minimum of $10 a week, not to be touched except when ready to fly off to the Mouse's...

What do you think? no personal data, no specifics, only stuff that can help others. And sharing makes it a bit more formal of a compromise.
    Last edited by TinkerTalina; 08-14-2007 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Correcting spelling
    Disneyland December 1985, Walt Disney World July 1991
    Walt Disney World July 1993, Walt Disney World February 2004

Honeymoon @ Pop Century November 2005
    DD Judith, born September 9, 2006, DD Julia, born Dec. 16, 2007

“The way to get started is to quit talking and start doing" Walt Disney

Re: Penny Watchers !

I sell a lot of stuff on ebay. Last year I made over $2,000 and i put that directly into my disney fund. Any money from rebates, unexpected $ from when my husband wins card night etc goes in there. Every time my kids ask for something silly I ask them What are we saving for? When they reply "Disney" any one that overhears has to smile.

And in today's world, that's a great way to teach your kids the value of money, that you can't afford everything you think you want. Woot cinderellamom12! Radio comentator Dave Ramsey would be proud of you!
    Disney Buses: March 24, 2007 - December 9, 2007
    Kilimanjaro Safaris: December 10, 2007 - July 6, 2008
    Monorails: July 6, 2008 -

Here is another one. For holidays, easter, valentines, birthday etc. I always make sure to give my kids disney dollars. They love to see who is on the bill and they get to save it for souvenirs (or sometimes the disney store but I try to discourage it) for the next trip. You get to kill two birds with one stone. A gift/less $ you as a parent will pay out of pocket for souvenirs. It also teaches kids to budget their spending at disney

Yes, when we were kids, we always saved our allowances or part of it, we sold radishes on our front yard or baked and sold cookies and turnovers. The money we got that way we spent on souvenirs or books or clothes... I was talking with my brother this morning and joking about teaching Judi (DD) the same methods, and that maybe in a few years she would be selling lemonade and cookies outside our café, saving towards her first WDW trip!

I found it too easy to access accounts set up as a Disney account. We did the 5 gallon water jug. You can look up my old post that detailed it but it is unaccessable unless you tear it open. Less temptation that way. I did some research and found out that if you fill a 5 gallon water jug with QUARTERS only it holds about $4000 worth of Quarters. Fill it with dollar coins and it is about $10000. We had a 2 yr time line and I figured we needed about $35 a week so we decided to put only Quarters and Bills. It is hard to say how much we have but I hope it is plenty enough to do pay for our trip. I will keep you posted we have decided to break it open about November. That is when we will book our airfare. I am affraid that if we bust it open now to pay for the trip we may spend the airfare money. Also, we have a Disney visa and after almost 2yrs we have about $300 on it to spend on STUFF. I am looking forward to taking a "free" trip to Disney in Jan. I CANNOT WAIT>

As a kid - 15 or so visits to WDW
    1998 - Off grounds - Newlyweds.
    2006 - MOVIES - First time as Parents - DiveQuest - DS 2 DS 6
    2008 - POP - Pirate and Princess Party
    2010 - PORFQ - Mardi Gras
    2010 - MNSSHP - Attempted Shuttle Viewing - DTD Hotel
    2012 - POP - Divequest of DS 12yo - First time for Mother in 20 years.

I'm like backtalk in that if I have money in the bank (no, it doesn't matter if it's savings) I'll spend it on something. Most of the time my savings ends up going towards the big end of the year expenses like home owners insurance, taxes, or Christmas. In order to really save some of that money and not feel like I'm missing any money, I've been taking $20 out of bank circulation every time I get paid and putting it up in a tin at home. Now I get paid twice a month, so that's $40 a month. In 13 months (appox when I will be going to DW) I will have saved $520. On top of that I'm asking all my friends and family to not get me anything other than cash for my birthday and Christmas. That will also be put into my out-of-bank savings.

I've also just run across an opportunity to make an extra $50 a month from a web maintenance contract that a friend of mine is dropping and giving to me! Yay! That'll add an extra $600 dollars to my savings for a total of around $1200 or $1300 once gift money is added in!

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot! I also have a Disney Visa that I use for every single purchase whether it is a snack at the curb store or my monthly mortgage bill. Everything that can be paid for with the card goes on it, and I just pay the card from my bank account. I imagine the way I’ve been spending, that’ll be an even greater amount to add to my Disney savings.

Sorry for the long post folks! I get excited over my savings plan!

Kittysomerville, I am in the same predicament: if it is on my bank account I'll spend it, and come January I have mayor expenses (car insurance, health and life insurance, plus a new car owner's tax) on top of the Xmas gifts! This year I've started putting my tips away on ANOTHER tin can just for those Jan. bleedings! plus instead of going to the mayor department stores like Sears or anything, I already bought my nieces and nephews their Xmas presents at (where else?) Disney Outlet, online! only spent around 100 for all five of them. Much cheaper than buying stuff at other stores! Cutting down costs also consitutes a form of saving for me

Hi,
    I just wanted to share what we are doing to save money for our next disney world trip. I have 12 kids and we have been to Disney 7 times over the last 9 years. We have always put most of the expenses on charge cards and end up paying for them for years. Our next trip we plan on paying cash for everything.

First we are not going every year like we were doing. Our trips were running over $10,000. each trip. This year we are waiting and planning and saving for four years to go. We live in a state that has bottle and can returns, so we are saving those, we are also saving all rebate money. Then we are now using the Disney Visa for putting gas in our trucks (you earn disney $$ doing this) plus we have a reward card for the gas station we use, with this we are saving points and turning them in for gift cards for our favorite places to eat (so far we have earned $300 in gift cards doing this) For all of my other spending (groceries and such) I use my universal card and I earn points for that also and I have turned it in so far for two $100 gift certificates for Hard rock cafe

So, as you can see, we will be taking our next trip pretty close to nothing out of our pockets. The kids are saving their money in their piggy banks for their personal spending money. It is a lot of fun seeing how much fun we are going to have on very little money. Dee

Well in my case the big spender is DH. So what I do is setup my payroll direct deposit to put $50 from each check into a savings account that I have no card or checks for. Also, DH will pay off a loan next month, so I'll be adding $100 per paycheck to the fund. We get paid twice a month, so once we make it $150 per paycheck, in a year we should have $3600 plus whatever amount I already have in (roughly $400).
    Since the monye is taken before we receive it, it's easy to get use to the idea that my salary is $100 less per month.
    Honeymoon @ Pop Century November 2006
    Quality Inn Int'l Drive November 2007
    Third year in a row November 2008
    Baby's first visit November 2011

Talking Re: Penny Watchers !

Pinchi2,
    I have thought of doing that, but with the big family we have, I have my hubby's paycheck budgeted to the penny. That was why we have always put our trips on credit cards. We just got so tired of paying our trips off years after we went. (just paid off our trip from two years ago, still paying on last years)

It is really exciting to me that even though we have to wait to go back to WDW, we will be doing it with money that I normally gave to one of my kids (can returns and rebates) and since we are waiting four years to go, we decided to put what we already have saved($2200) into a 4 year CD, so we will earn another $400 off that which we are going to use for gas money for our trip down and back. It was making nothing setting in our piggy banks.

I love this site, I know I am not alone in my love for Disney. (I also love the twister ride at Universal) Dee

Most people are on a budget. Just an example - if you allow $10.00 for gas weekly lol and only spend 8.99 - put the change in a jar. Also, if you pay your charge off every month, use the Disney charge. If you have activites throught the year such as a movie, find when the cheapest time is to go and put the difference of what you spend in the jar. How about looking for throw away cans etc. Birthday, Christmas, Anniversay gifts buy a smaller gift or gifts to be opened and put the difference of what you usually spend in the jar or give disney money. Just a few ideas.
    Mandy

Great Idea Mandy.

We have bugeted $10 dollars a week for Disney. We also have the Disney Visa (no Disney lover should be without it). We have about 500.00 Disney dollars saved up on that which we plan to use on our long trip this January. The biggest thing that we do to save money is bring snacks and waterbottles into the park. We did not realize how much you spend on the little stuff. We also like to stay in a room with a kitchenette in it. It will cost you more for the room but if you eat most of your meals there you will much more then the cost. When we stay for long trips (10 days in January) we like to plan 2 nice meals. This year it is Artist Point and California Grill. Then we are planning on cooking for the rest of the trip.
    2009- 13 Trips (6 Stay Trips & 7 Day Trips)
    2008- 20 Trips (7 Day Trips & 13 Stay Trips )
    2007-19 Trips (7 Day Trips & 12 Stay Trips)

Hi Waltdizwiz,
    We have done that many times too, where we would have only a couple meals in the park during our two week stays, take water bottles in with us, we also took snacks in for the kids (we have 12 kids, one time we bought fries and milk for a snack for each of us and it was a huge amount of money) We have done this for our last 7 trips and my hubby's idea for our next trip was eating in the parks every day without it costing us anything by using our disney visa $$. That is awesome that you already have $500 of them on your card to use. I still have four years to save, so hopefully I will have a lot of them too. Right now we only have about $200. Plus, we will only be taking our four youngest on our next trip. Our other 8 kids will all be adults by that time, so that too will be a great savings. Dee

Horaay! I just finished paying my car! now that I can devote more money to other fields, I am working in two areas towards our next family trip:

1.- Paying off debt: It might not seem like a way of saving towards a trip, but trust me! it is! if you pay let's say $100 a month of interest, making a significant dent in the total of the debt means you pay less interest, and if this next month the interest to pay is say$80, I am putting the other $20 into a savings account for our trip!

2.- Actually increasing the ammount on the savings account. I am setting aside $30.00 each week for our trip, which is in 9 years ...

AND I am still putting a dolar a day on my piggy bank!

It feels great to be debt free, at least one of them!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast