Penny Watchers ! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Penny Watchers !

Hi Winkster,
    We live in Michigan, and we have to pay a 10 cent deposit on each pop can and bottle. When they are empty, we take them back to the store and get back our deposits. So, we are getting back the money we had to pay to buy the pop, beer... I also recycle my papers and glass jars, and I don't get anything back for those.

Rebates are a great way to get some extra money in the piggy bank. I bought one of my kids a personal dvd player. It was $159 on sale for $129 and was able to get a $30 rebate, plus a $25 gift card with the promotion the store was having. So, the rebate was cashed and put in my disney piggy and the gift card I am saving to use while I am in Florida...that is just one of many rebates I have gotten, plus I have 4 more years to get them. I get really excited over the thought of how much I will be able to take with me when we go.

HI Tinker,
    Rummage sales are a common thing in Michigan, but I had never had one myself until last fall. After the sale, I thought, for the amount of work that is put into it, you get a nice amount of money. So, the stuff my kids have out grown or no longer played with, I always gave away to friends and family, now...going to have a rummage sale once a year so that I can add extra money to my disney piggy
    Last edited by momgoingback; 10-30-2007 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks for the congrats, Momgoingback!

I'm just a single, so I only turn my cans in about 3 times a year ... and it only comes out to about $15 at that! My next goal is to start looking at what I save at my grocery store using the preferred card and adding that into the bank.

I'm usually a credit card vacationer (sigh), so I'm definitely trying to have at least half of my next Disney vacation pre-paid!

Thanks to all of you for sharing all of your great tips. I really appreciate them!
    Disney Inn January 1991
    WDW Spring Break March 1994
    Coronado Springs August 2006

Hi Pluto pal,
    Don't feel alone on being a credit card vacationer. Our last seven trips to Disney were on credit cards. I am one that is always afraid that it might be our 'last' trip there as a family, they grow up so fast, and so the sky is the limit when it comes to what the kids want. It is really hard to be stingy when you are at such a special place and so it is easy to go over board. When we go back in four years, we are going to do it all with cash. (hopefully )

I am trying to take advantage of every perk our credit cards offer for bonus stuff. (like disney dollars and gift cards) We are going to save them all for our trip.

Today I opened a bank account in my little girls name... started with $30, and I'm going to deposit what her allowance would be (she is one year old, after all) AAAAND hehehe! it comes with a Disney themed card! I am still wondering wether I should ask for a Disney Princess card or a POTC one! you bet that is one bank account I wont touch!
    Disneyland December 1985, Walt Disney World July 1991
    Walt Disney World July 1993, Walt Disney World February 2004

Honeymoon @ Pop Century November 2005
    DD Judith, born September 9, 2006, DD Julia, born Dec. 16, 2007
    DS Marcos, Born Feb 28, 2014
    “The way to get started is to quit talking and start doing" Walt Disney

HI Tinker,
    That is great that you opened up an account for your baby. I did that for each of my kids soon after they were born, but it was to save for their first car, and money for starting out as an adult. So, it stays in there for a long time.

The kids did save spending money in their piggy banks every year. One year we gave each of them $100 as part of their christmas to spend in Disney. We have always gone to Disney around christmas time, so it worked giving them money for one of their gifts. I am going to check into the disney money to start giving my little ones. I think they would love that.
    Last edited by momgoingback; 11-01-2007 at 07:10 AM.

I am still saving all of our perk points from our credit cards to get free gift cards for our next trip. I just turned in my points from my gas credit card and got a free $100 gas card. So there is my first $100 in gas to drive to Florida Plus I already have turned in points to get $300 in gift cards for eating out. I still have 3 years and 356 days to save yet (gosh, that is so long) but I am sure that I will have more than enough to get us through our 2 week vacation.

We are also using our Disney charge card and have close to $200 in Disney $$ to use at the park.

How is everyone else doing with their penny watching??

Well, I have about $50 in change that I've saved. Every time I get coins, I put them aside. Also, whatever cash I return with from my last WDW trip stays in the suitcase for the next one. I think there's $10 in there right now. LOL That's not very much. But to look at it on the bright side, that's one night at the Pop Century (off season with my Florida resident seasonal pass).
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

HI Curious Alice,
    My husband and I have talked about doing the same thing. If we have extra money, or extra left on our gift cards we plan on putting them back in our safe and saving them for our next trip.

We save rebates and bottle returns for our next disney trip, and of course the credit card perks. We are saving our spare change for a cruise. I have to have seperate savings for each vacation. We have always put all of our vacations on a credit card and then pay the price for several years after each vacation. I guess that is why I am so excited about this vacation. For one thing, we are not going every year like we used to, so that gives me extra time to save (but I have to say every time around Thanksgiving I get down in the dumps because that is when we would normally be at Disney) I didn't have to make a big thanksgiving meal for 7 years in a row because we were in disney every year...this year we had the big meal because we were home...I burned the pies...I was meant to be at disney during that time Yup, that has to be it
    Last edited by momgoingback; 11-29-2007 at 12:50 PM.

LOL! well, we are still saving. Now we are starting a new business, so maybe that will slow us down for a bit (you know, all the investing and permits and stuff) but I believe eventually we will get on a roll and have another good source of savings for our Disney trip! Does anyone know if the Disney Visa is available for countries other than US, say Mexico?
    Disneyland December 1985, Walt Disney World July 1991
    Walt Disney World July 1993, Walt Disney World February 2004

Honeymoon @ Pop Century November 2005
    DD Judith, born September 9, 2006, DD Julia, born Dec. 16, 2007
    DS Marcos, Born Feb 28, 2014
    “The way to get started is to quit talking and start doing" Walt Disney

if you haven't already:
    -save up some money
    -skip a couple potential disney trips
    -invest in DVC
    ...with over 350 vacation destinations worldwide, your 50 year DVC membership will pay for itself in 7

Hi Tinker,
    Here is the 1-800 number off the back of my disney bank one card. You can call and ask where they offer the disney dollars in your area. 1-800-300-8575. I know I have around $200 in disney $$ so far. Good luck.

What hotels in the DL area have kitchenetts? I was thinking of staying at the Paradise Point, they have coffee makers and refrigerators but no microwave or kitchen. Oh, unless you get a suit. Too much money for me.

I would love to be able to earn Disney Dollars or Gift Cards but in South Africa it is not offered..... :-(
    We have started putting our R5 coins into a box for our Disney Trip and also any money we get for birthdays etc in as well. As soon as I have enough I bank it into a seperate bank account that earns interest. Will be my Husband's first trip to WDW!!!

As this thread has not been posted to in more than 3 years, it is now being closed.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123