How in the world do you plan your itinerary?????
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

How in the world do you plan your itinerary?????

We are going Dec 9-15 and i guess it is time to start mapping out our day. We are doing a couple of the character breakfast's because the kids really wanted to do them to meet the characters (we are doing Ohana @10:50am and Norway @10:25am). We are doing Tony's town square our first night @6:15 and then right over for Mickey's christmas party, Coral Reef @ 8pm, Crystal Palace (my bday!!) @ 6:55pm, Rainforest Cafe @7:45pm and 1900 Park Fare @ 7:20pm (my daughters bday).

I am trying to plan it that we are in the same area for dinner so we won't have run all over the world. Friday is a free day, i have nothing planned, i thought we would go visit whichever park we liked best.

I am terrified about planning the days out, do you just decided what you want to see and write it down. i have a couple of the books and they give you the exact things to do for however many days you can spend. Does anyone who has gone with children (6,8,14) have any tips? Any seasoned Disney goer's that can share with me to make me a little more calm.

Also, i know I have brought this up before, but has anyone ordered cakes directly thru the hotels for birthday's. I called and they were trying to describe them to me but i need to see a picture. Also, i was told that i could call the florist and they can put together a gift basket for my daughter, anyone used this service??

Getting excited and nervous at the same time!!

Aimee

Re: How in the world do you plan your itinerary?????

I think the trick is to plan well but don't overplan.

Aimimg to be in the area in and around your existing reservations etc is a great start.

I'd work out what park to do on which day on this basis (remember, parks are heaving with crowds on weekends so are best avoided if possible - of course this will depend on your length of stay).

Other than that, I'd just have an idea of what's in each park and what time each park opens. That way, you'll know roughly where to head once the rope drops so you can enjoy the big rides in the first hour before the real crowds build up.

I tend to use a spreadsheet (sad, I know) to show which park we're at on which days (I also use the "Unofficial Guide to WDW" as it has an excellent section on predicted crowd levels for each day/week/month), add in dinner reservations, must see shows etc (Disney's website and OOOOOOOnet.com are great for timings etc) and then leave the rest to allow for how we feel on the day.

I see lots of people who plan ride by ride but I always think this takes out any spontinaety. As long as you can get your "must-do" rides done early on (or on fast-pass), you can then take it easier after that and enjoy the day.

And don't forget to include rest time. It sounds daft but you can spoil a trip by trying to cram in too much and exhausting yourself (and your kids!).

Have a great trip!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Sounds like you have everything under control. However, do expect changes. A lot depends on how tired you are etc. I usually pick a few things that are must sees and also allow for things that I have yet to do. Planning is part of the fun. Enjoy your time at WDW.
    Mandy

We make ADR's and then let everything else just fall in place, it is a vacation no need to make plans that will have you stressed trying to complete all on time.
    Ed
    -----------------------------------
    92 MK 1 day trip
    Dec 29th 06 - Jan 3 2007 Riverside
    DLRP Mar 2009
    WDW May 23 2010 to May 28 2010
    DL Day Trip Oct 2016
    WDW Dec 2017

I planned my ADR's based on which park we would be at for that day. Then I made a rough plan based on what were our must do attractions, then alloted time in those areas accordingly trying not to do to much back tracking. I did plan for hitting the one very popular attraction first, get a fast pass if the lines are to long, but since we are going during Christmas break, I also plan on being at the gate with in the first half hour of opening, that is to allow maximum time at the park. Since my kids are older, the kids can stay at the park longer if they wish (15 & 19) and take the bus back to our resort. Somehow I don't think we will have to worry as I am the one who wants to do it all, but know the crowds will have something to say about that.

Basically, rough plan of attack and hope to do as much as possible, but be happy no matter what!
    Have a Mickey Mouse Day!, Dot

July 83 - Off site Camping; July 2000 - AS Movies; Dec 07 - AS Music; Sep/Oct 09 - Pop Century; May/June 2011 - POFQ; May 2015 Pop Century

We don't plan. We usually go to the bus stop and the stop with the fewest people is the park we goto that day! Once there we decide to go left or right and then press on! This year we bought the dining package, so the meals that we have booked are deciding which parks we goto! I plan nothing, that way we can go thru and not worry about where or when we need to be at a certain place at a certain time! Just relaxing and taking it all in! Ahhhhhhhh!

Re: How in the world do you plan your itinerary???

I don't like to plan my vacations too much. What I do is find out when the Extra Magic Hours happen and plan which park to go to according to that. I'd rather take a breather at the hotel in the middle of the day so I can be there for the EMH.

The best thing to do is really read up on all the attractions at each park so you'll know which ones you're aiming for and which ones you can skip.

Also, study the park maps very carefully. It helps so much to know where you're going. Standing around confused is a huge time-waster!
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

we don't plan in great detail. we just decide what parks we want to do then the night before we decide where we want to go between us, then just go with the flow and have a great time
    Been to WDW 3 times
    Stayed at Sunridge Woods Villa 2000 & 2002
    Esprit & Calabay Parc Villa's 2004
    Sunset Ridge Villa 2008

We plan each day as they come up. We never try to rush and meet deadlines. We have found this a great way to enjoy.
    There are just too many things to see on one trip!
    Rick
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our childen"
    Walt Disney
    Talk Disney Administrator

i hate planning the whole trip before i get there. you never know what is going to change. the dinning plan does really make you plan things out now. i like the plan but i dont like all the planning.
    To infinity and beyond..... Steve

married in disney honeymooned at wilderness lodge 05/03

wilderness lodge in 05/05

wildnersness lodge 06/06

Quote Originally Posted by KingDionysus23
    We don't plan. We usually go to the bus stop and the stop with the fewest people is the park we goto that day!
    I'll preface this by saying I've been a ton and at this point I usually base it on who is going with me but if folks are on vacation and I'm going with I usually do it similar to what kingdionysus does. I do have a few rules if going with different people though, if there are young kids or more than a few who have never been to WDW I don't do the Magic Kingdom the first day. It helps them enjoy the other parks with a clearer head w/o comparing them to MK (especially kids with regard to Epcot). What we'll do is go to the bus stop at the hotel and the first bus that pulls up to a park the first day is the one we go to, from then on we fit in the rest (I know blasphemy lol).
    Go Noles! Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by sheerema
    i hate planning the whole trip before i get there. you never know what is going to change. the dinning plan does really make you plan things out now. i like the plan but i dont like all the planning.
    I love the planning - although I only plan which park we'll do on which day, when's good for shopping, golf etc. The rest is left to chance.

I agree that the dining plan does force you to plan too much for my liking. I like the spontinaety to be able to go where we want, when we want.

Still, you can't have it all can you!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

We've done both: No planning and ultra-planning and I think the planning trip was better.

Making dinner reservations is so worth it. Even if you feel like, "I have to go to that park that day." It's still worth it. At almost every place we went to eat, I saw people that couldn't get it becuase they didn't have a reservation.

I hope you have a great trip!
    "That's what Rufus said, 'Faith makes things turn out right'!"

I agree with Winkster

plan but dont over plan and take the time to rest.

We plan what parks we might want to be at because of the dining plan. I do have 1 day when I am not sure where we will be. I made 2 reservations for that day. I will cancel one of them when we figure out where we will be.

Other than that we hop on the busses and just try to hit the parades and events. But, if it doesn't work out that is OK. We are there to have a lot of fun.

I like to stop and watch the side shows and get side tracked. It tends to drive my DH nuts. Eventually we get to where we were going even if we have to change plans.
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes"

Yeah, we never plan either. We make our reservations and then we just parkhop then we eventually make it to the park/resot that we have reservations for. Any planning is realy done the day of.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast