How in the world do you plan your itinerary????? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: How in the world do you plan your itinerary?????

We always do the dining plan and EMH. We also go in with park hoppers. Our days are planned according to the DP and EMH, BUT we are also spur of the moment. We have gone into a park and it's just been packed to the gills so we leave, go to another park and then come back for our ADR. We have also stayed in one park all day.

We make sure we have all the info we might need for our stay, and plan, plan, plan. And then break those plans. LOL Honestly. The only thing we don't break is the Magic Kingdom night EMHs and ADRs.

There is something totally amazing about the MK at 3am.
    Jenn

1995 Honeymoon; 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 2010 Pop Century June 2011 POR

Back in Nov. we had an interesting day.

We started out at MK had lunch reservation in Epcot. We went specifically to try to be first to wake Tink up (second in line) did chase her around the shop. Met up with one of those magical dreams people while pin trading he took us to small world ( waved at people from control booth ) rode a few more rides.
    We then hopped monorail, had lunch, did soarin, fast track (did a hidden mickey game against other teams in the store), & then went to Mission Space. DS was quite tired so DH took him back to resort.
    DH & I hopped the mono back to MK to try to get her hair cut at the barber shop. After a couple of days of tryin to get in we were second in line. She got the best hair cut she has had in years and got pixie dusted all for $15 ( who needs bibbidy bobblty boo ) We then split one of those magnifiecent burgers at Pinnochio Haus.

Well as we have said. Plan, get your priority seating and a park hopper. GO WITH THE FLOW AND HAVE FUN.

That is how our typical day at Disney tends to run.
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes"

My wife says that when it comes to planning Disney I have a sickness. LOL I plan, plan again, and then plan some more. I have very, very detailed itineraries but that is just something I use as a guideline. We almost never stick to the plan 100%. Basically I make the plans to have something for structure because if you go to WDW without a structured plan you may get home and say to yourself "MAN!! I forgot all about doing (******) when we went!!!". I actually did that the first year. I completely forgot to go on Spaceship Earth! (And last year it was closed!!)

I don't know how anyone could stick to an itinerary 100%. I too am a planner, after I make my plans I go over them and tweak them until I feel they are just right.

For the next trip I basically have all our plans on paper. Again I decided which were the "Must Do's", this time it was things like Fantasmic. So now since it is limited to certain days, I have scheduled our days at the parks around that making sure to be in DHS on the right day. Also based on this years dates, we are guessing that the Wine Fest will start while we are there, so I wanted to hit Epcot before it started and after it starts, so scheduled accordingly. Then just listed the attractions we did not want to miss and sort of made our day end up at the right place at the right time for our planned ADR's.
    Have a Mickey Mouse Day!, Dot

July 83 - Off site Camping; July 2000 - AS Movies; Dec 07 - AS Music; Sep/Oct 09 - Pop Century; May/June 2011 - POFQ; May 2015 Pop Century

How's this for a sickness...... I have an Excel sheet for our dining plans, and Excel sheet for our Itinerary, All the menus for the Quick Service locations we plan to eat at, and Word sheets on what to "get" in WDW, what to "do" in WDW, Baggage allowances for Delta, etc....

Check out these itinerary sheets: LOL

Uhhhhhhm, yet, got several different spread sheets, one for each park with all the attractions listed, all the shopping places listed etc. Color coded as to if it is a must do, or a not interested or wild ride.

Should I go on? Like I said, I like to plan, I even plan out my plans to plan. Way to much time on my hands.

For me the planning is just as much fun as the trip, well almost.

We do not go for another year, yet I have everything planned, my ADR's, which parks for what days, and even the hotel we will stay at on the drive to and from. I even have the places figured where we will need to stop for gas and meals.

Silly me!
    Have a Mickey Mouse Day!, Dot

July 83 - Off site Camping; July 2000 - AS Movies; Dec 07 - AS Music; Sep/Oct 09 - Pop Century; May/June 2011 - POFQ; May 2015 Pop Century

I plan, slightly -- make my ADR and then go from there, i also take into consideration the extra magic hours (magic kingdoms, mostly, cuz we will be there LOTS!).
    ~ Yo Ho! Yo Ho! A pirate's life for me! ~

Ok Goofydad is making me feel very inadequate!! LOL I think my ADD makes it impossible to plan that much-but I have to admit that I am extremely jealous of the ability to be that precise and organized...
    Waiting for Disney...

Quote Originally Posted by lssheppard View Post
    Ok Goofydad is making me feel very inadequate!! LOL I think my ADD makes it impossible to plan that much-but I have to admit that I am extremely jealous of the ability to be that precise and organized...

The people I help plan trips for at first think I am a control freak with my own family when they see my charts and spreadsheets. But they realize that I am not a control freak and that I am not a "by the book" kind of person on our trips. I just like to have as much information as organized as possible so when we get up in the morning we can say "So... what does everyone want to get done today?" We obviously have to stick to the Daily Schedule (ie, Friday = DTD, Saturday = MK, etc... ) because of the ADR's we have but everything else is loosey goosey. We usually just get up and I say "Okay, today is (whichever park) and we have seatings at (whichever restaurant). What else are we going to do today?" I have the spreadsheets and the charts so that we know exactly when parades start, parks open/close, rides that are closed for rehab, etc... We went to WDW our first year with what I thought was a good amount of info. Boy, was I wrong! That'll never happen again.

like my mom has said in previous posts we plan our meals around the parks and we also have a good amount of meals in the resorts too. the last trip i went on my best friend and i shared a room while the rest of our party stayed in the room next to us. my mom gave the list of our adrs so we used didnt have to keep asking her where we were going. once we get to the parks we know what attractions we want to see and which ones will have lines. we also keep track of the emh and sometimes park hop for the evening hours. there are always things that we miss so we have made mental notes and put them at the top of our list for the next trip. we also have things that we have to do every trip like we always to mk when we arrive and we always eat at garden grill on one of our epcot days
    July 2000 All Star Movies
    December 2007 All Star Music
    September 2009 Pop Century
    June 2011 Port Orleans French Quarter

My hat's off to Goofydad...LOL
    Waiting for Disney...

Like many TD members, I've seen an example of G00fyDad's spreadsheets and they're amazing, though a bit obsessive (). Just teasing you, G00fyDad!

I do a lesser version of his spreadsheets, detailing opening/closing hours, EMH, dining reservations, and crowd calendar predictions (which never seem to be true).

I use it as a general guide, but I also like to be spontaneous.
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

I also do a much lesser version of GOOfydads spreadsheets. I include ADR confirmation #'s and times, park hours and since we go during MVMCP the days that have the party and the days that Fantasmic is playing. Then we have a general idea of which parks to go to each day but with the above information we can change thing up based on the weather and the crowds. We usually have at least one or two days to return to any park to hit the things we missed or want to do again.

It's all about planning to be flexable!
    Love & Pixie Dust
    Patty

If anyone wants a copy of my day to day spreadsheet then PM me. It is as detailed as I can get it right now but I always find something new to add each year. The one I have this year makes the one I put a screenshot up for look like a childs paper. LOL

Keep in mind though, it might be a little too detailed for some. Although, as I've said before remember to keep things loose and use the spreadsheets as a guide and not a rule. Otherwise you risk ruining your trip.

We do it a little different than Goofy Dad (but I would like to see the spreadsheets)

I start by getting a 3 ring binder...the type that you can slide a piece of paper in the front. I make a cute Disney page with the dates of our trip on it and slip it in

Then, I put the plastic cover pages iside the binder and I buy a couple new zippered pencil cases that have the 3 rings on them....

I start with a cover page, then I put in a page with ALL the hotel/flight reservation #'s and times and flight #'s etc...(if flying...sometimes we fly sometimes we drive...we are 999 miles from our house to WDW according to Mapquest LOL) that is our check in and check out page....

Next, we have a page that lists each day, where we have a dining reservation and the times and reservation # for each reservation....we do plan this ahead and have all that done

Next, we have a page for each day...the day of the week and date are at the top along with the park or day off we have planned to attend...and we have EMH, parade times, dining times (along with reservation #) and any addional info we want to have...like if we go on a special event like MNSSH we look up show times and other things...

[we do not park hop...we have...but we find that there is more than enough to do in a park and moving from park to park is a big waste of our time we could spend in the park we are in...we now have grandchildren (3 of them under 2) and we did go back to the hotel and then back to the park last October (at the time we had only two of them and they were 13 and 14 months old), but we went back to the park we had been in...so that is up to you...we don't park hop and save that amount on our tickets....We are going in October for a LONG weekend and are planning to take members of our family that have never been to WDW, so we will park hop one day so they can see Epcot and DHS, but we go to WDW often and do not need to park hop]

Back to the book....the zippered pencil cases are for tickets and photo passes (at the end of the day everyone's ticket is put in the pencil case, so the next day we are not looking through someones pants pocket for their ticket! It makes the mornings so much smoother...you don't start off frazzled. If it is you first time there...the ticket they give you on check in is your room key, has your dining plan and ticket into parks all on one "credit card" ticket with your name on it) This way the next day we all get dressed and pass out tickets and we are ready to go!

The second zippered case is for the map/show times we pick up at the parks...we keep those and they fit nicely in one of those cases...if we pick up some other little things at the parks...like at DHS we ate at 50's Prime time Cafe and got these little picks in our food that said the name of the park on them (this was like in 2004) and we put them in the zippered cases....Then we have them all together and can take home with us

In addition, the daily pages....I print off 4-5 extra of them and the day we go to that park, I give one to everyone to put in their pocket or bag...that way if we separate to ride different things we all know when and where to meet for meals...yes, we all carry cell phones but more than once we have been on rides and missed calls! LOL Hard to answer call on the Rock-N-Roller Coaster or Tower of Terror as you drop 13 stories!

The, other things I put in the plastic page covers is driving directions if driving and have how to get to other places we plan to see...like some trips we go to the ocean one of our off days to relax...so the driving directions are in there...we have GPS (tomtoms) and on our phones, but we like to have a print out too...we are visual people and like to see the maps printed off...or like we are going to Universal this October to see Harry Potter...so that will all go in there too...

I will also add some pages of notebook paper to write down things that happened that day....like we took pictures of our waiter in Italy when we ate and I wrote down his name and where is was from....I can remember it that day but not 3 months later when I am scrapbooking the trip...

When our trip is over we have the book and all the pages of information...we can scrapbook from it

AND....I don't take the notebooks apart....we have then in our "Disney" room on a shelf and when we talk about trips we have taken and don't remember something we get out the book! It is fun to look back later...

That is how I do it!
    quinsippi5
    1983 first trip, 1987, 1994, 2001 (with our kids BAND--MK) 2002 (son in CP) 2003 (daughter in CP-3 trips to FL) 2004 (family trip) 2005 (watch our HS band march in MK again!) 2006 (12 of us went--fun fun fun) FW...cabins, 2009 (3 trips) POP, CBR, 2010 POP

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast