How in the world do you plan your itinerary????? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: How in the world do you plan your itinerary?????

WOW!
    Do you carry the binder around with you all day or do you leave it in the room?

I like the idea of having things organized for scrapbooking later. Our last trip was in December and I started a scrapbook about a month after we got back, I've only done 3 pages. I have a photo box with 500 pictures (give or take 100) and a disney bag filled with things (mickey confeti, napkins, park maps etc.)

I really should try to finish it befor our next trip!
    Love & Pixie Dust
    Patty

Oh my goodness....No we don't carry the notebook to the parks...it is in the room.

It is nice too in that we have adult kids and they all know to look in the book to see what is going "tomorrow" I don't have to answer 50 questions LOL Like where are we going tomorrow, where are we eating tomorrow, what are we doing Thursday....etc...the book is out in our room and they come in and just open it up and look for themselves!

We sit down and have a family meeting to decide where we want to go what days....how many days we want to go in the parks before we take a day off...which restaurant we are going to eat at in each park, DTD, or resort...THEN, I make the book...

Those extra sheets I print out of each day....that I give out to everyone...that is the daily itinerary...the book stays in the ROOM! LOL But it really works for our family and we never go without a plan...it is took much craziness if we don't. And we would waste too much time every morning deciding what to do! LOL

It is really not that hard to do and it is FUN to plan I think...I enjoy doing the book...when I go buy my new 3 ring binder it is like ok...we are really going to go again!!! Yeah!!!
    quinsippi5
    1983 first trip, 1987, 1994, 2001 (with our kids BAND--MK) 2002 (son in CP) 2003 (daughter in CP-3 trips to FL) 2004 (family trip) 2005 (watch our HS band march in MK again!) 2006 (12 of us went--fun fun fun) FW...cabins, 2009 (3 trips) POP, CBR, 2010 POP

Quote Originally Posted by quinsippi5 View Post
    Oh my goodness....No we don't carry the notebook to the parks...it is in the room.

It is nice too in that we have adult kids and they all know to look in the book to see what is going "tomorrow" I don't have to answer 50 questions LOL Like where are we going tomorrow, where are we eating tomorrow, what are we doing Thursday....etc...the book is out in our room and they come in and just open it up and look for themselves!

We sit down and have a family meeting to decide where we want to go what days....how many days we want to go in the parks before we take a day off...which restaurant we are going to eat at in each park, DTD, or resort...THEN, I make the book...

Those extra sheets I print out of each day....that I give out to everyone...that is the daily itinerary...the book stays in the ROOM! LOL But it really works for our family and we never go without a plan...it is took much craziness if we don't. And we would waste too much time every morning deciding what to do! LOL

It is really not that hard to do and it is FUN to plan I think...I enjoy doing the book...when I go buy my new 3 ring binder it is like ok...we are really going to go again!!! Yeah!!!
    You and I would get along great. LOL That is exactly what i do. The only sheet I take with me is the "Master Spreadsheet". The others stay in the room.

I'm in the process of clearing out the data on my sheet so I can upload it to my web server and post a link to it here. It may not be what anyone else would be looking for but it might be.

Well i for one would love to see your spreadsheets. Will look forward to your link when you get it up Goofy Dad. I agree we think along the same lines.
    quinsippi5
    1983 first trip, 1987, 1994, 2001 (with our kids BAND--MK) 2002 (son in CP) 2003 (daughter in CP-3 trips to FL) 2004 (family trip) 2005 (watch our HS band march in MK again!) 2006 (12 of us went--fun fun fun) FW...cabins, 2009 (3 trips) POP, CBR, 2010 POP

I have the file done. PM me for it. I left most of the spots filled in so people would know what goes where.
    Last edited by G00fyDad; 05-23-2010 at 11:10 PM.

Ok after reading all of this, I am officially a Disney planning "loser"....LOL
    Waiting for Disney...

Right now I have a basic spreadsheet saved on my desktop, it has dates, ADRs (that I hope to get) 1/2 of the park hours (Dec. is not out yet) and where I think we will go in the am and pm. I also have a file with tons of papers - hand written schedules with park plans, counter serve, table serve and snack options. I have changed these about 40 or 50 times already.

I also just purchased my first Passporter, however I'm afraid to write anything in it yet because I change my mind so often! The Passporter is kind of like the 3 ring binder, it has pockets in the back and a file for each day with room for notes. I'm not sure if I will bring it on my trip, last time I brought a small journal to write down each days experiences. My DD had to write in a journal as homework on our trip so it was a nice way to end each day, we would sit together and do our journals!
    Love & Pixie Dust
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by lssheppard View Post
    Ok after reading all of this, I am officially a Disney planning "loser"....LOL
    You're not a "planning loser". We all just have an OCD.

My hubby complains that I "plan" too much!! lol.......I should make him read this thread. All I do, is have ONE piece of paper with which park we'll be at each day of our trip along with where we're eating and the reservation number. Sometimes I add in an 'extra' I'd like to do that day. (like, 'take boat to Boardwalk')
    "Clean cup, Clean cup! MOVE DOOOWWNN!"

Quote Originally Posted by UnoMasCervesa View Post
    My hubby complains that I "plan" too much!! lol.......I should make him read this thread. All I do, is have ONE piece of paper with which park we'll be at each day of our trip along with where we're eating and the reservation number. Sometimes I add in an 'extra' I'd like to do that day. (like, 'take boat to Boardwalk')
    In my mind that's all I have too. In reality I have a binder full of stuff. But I only take in the parks what I need. And this year I have most of what I need on about 3 sheets. I have redone my Itinerary Spread Sheet to include almost everything I will need on the one page. Dining Reservations, Reservation Numbers, Quick Service locations we want to try, what park on what day, park hours, MNSSHP nights, Which park has an Extra Magic Hour for that particular day, How many TS and QS option we will have left after the meal, Small notes on particulars we want to do that day, and where the non-spending money is allocated to.

I have another couple of sheets (ex below) that have a more detailed itinerary of each day. But that is just something that will let us know about what time to get to the park and what time each meal is, and when we "should" leave the park. Its more for a list of what we really want to buy that particular day.

I have everything on one sheet.

Park hours
    EMH days
    Best and worst days for each park
    Day by day planner (what park on what day)
    Planned lunch and dinner spots
    ADRs for WDW restaurants
    Non Disney restaurants with contact details and directions
    Other non WDW dining options
    Useful contact details

We never take the sheet into the parks - it just stays in the room. In fact we rarely even stick to it but it keeps me happy!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

We only plan what parks we are going to on what days...so we can get ADR's where we like to eat...it is part of the experience for our family...

When we get to a park we go to the back of the parks and work our way forward...we learned that in the 80's in an UG and it works...but since fastpass has been added (used to tell us to go left line because it was faster but that has all changed) we get a fast pass on the way to the back for an attaction we really want to go on that has history of long lines (Soarin' at Epcot, RnR at DHS, Safari (if line is short we just go on that one it is in the back of the park) AK, and Space Mountain in MK...we have to go to those attactions when our FP time comes...so we do sort of stay in that area when it gets close to the time...don't want to be across the park and have to cris cross to get to attaction at FP time. We also don't get into long lines before we are supposed to eat...we take it easy and watch what ever there is going on around our restaurant and then go in...

We just enjoy the day...we know are going back (SOMEDAY) and we don't fret about seeing it all every time we go...

I know this is your first time and you want to see everything...but you will wear yourself and family out...we did that when it was just MK and Epcot! STOP and smell the flowers and enjoy the experience...it is not all the rides...there are so many shows, street players, characters, balloons, decorative areas, specialty shops, parades....those are all part of Disney that are not part of other theme parks...and you can take a break in the parks to watch these...if you don't plan to take a break back at your resort...by all means do these things...it helps you rest!

Have fun and plan...I love to plan...it is almost as much fun as going...(not really but it is FUN!) Because if you don't have fun at Disney you don't know how to have fun!!!!
    quinsippi5

we plan are day around where we eat so we are not rushing to get there. but if we are going to one of the parties at mk we make sure we have dinner in that park before the party starts. as for cakes you can ask to order one though the resturant. the front should be able to give you a number for the flosit on stie. have a good trip hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Disneygirl821 View Post
    we plan are day around where we eat so we are not rushing to get there.
    We're kinda the opposite. We don't eat in WDW that much so we tend to plan where we eat based on which park we're in - or rather how long we are in that park.

For example, if we're having our first day at MK or Epcot, we know we'll be having a full-on day and will be tired when we leave (usually around 4pm) so we'll stay local - maybe DTD, Crossroads or Palm Parkway.

On DHS or AK days (or when we're paying a return visit to MK or Epcot and won't be there as long), we know we'll finish early and so we can eat further afield - somewhere like International Drive or Universal City Walk.

Similarly, when we're at Universal or Sea World, we'll eat locally to WDW as we don't want do drive back from there, have a rest, shower and change and then drive back to I-Drive where we're just come from.

It makes me laugh when I stop to think about it - who'd have though there was so much planning and so much to consider on a vacation to WDW!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Quote Originally Posted by Winkster View Post
    It makes me laugh when I stop to think about it - who'd have though there was so much planning and so much to consider on a vacation to WDW!
    Amen! I never plan this much when we go anywhere else.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast