How in the world do you plan your itinerary????? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: How in the world do you plan your itinerary?????

Wink, where do you find the "Best and Worst" days for each park??! This would be a great resource!
    "Clean cup, Clean cup! MOVE DOOOWWNN!"

I don't know where Winkster gets his info but I get that from touringplans. Love that website!

Our ADR/days are a combination of a couple of different things. Night EMH is one deciding factor. Our meal at Yak & Yeti is the same night as AK's EMH. We pay attention to "travel" also. If we are eating at the Wave for example we look at Epcot and MK for our park that day. Easy travel with the monorail.

We also have Park Hoppers, to help with the flexibility of planning our days.
    Jenn

1995 Honeymoon; 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 2010 Pop Century June 2011 POR

Quote Originally Posted by UnoMasCervesa View Post
    Wink, where do you find the "Best and Worst" days for each park??! This would be a great resource!
    I get them from the Bob Sehlinger Unofficial Guide to WDW.

It's a great book!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

LOL!!!
    I have a book that I bring with me, all decked out with our reservation numbers (flight, resort, dining) ... a chart with the hours of the parks each night. EMH, etc. Day by day planning ... and yes, usually booked around each park we visit. This year we are kicking off our trip with breakfast in Cinderella Castle!!! Last year we didn't go to MK first and I felt sad, but AK was good too! hahahaha
    ~ Yo Ho! Yo Ho! A pirate's life for me! ~

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs JackSparrow View Post
    Last year we didn't go to MK first and I felt sad, but AK was good too!
    Magic Kingdom always has to be our first park. I almost switched it this year because Disney has now moved the MNSSHP from 9/24 to 9/25 and that makes it land on our first MK day instead of our arrival day. We always do DTD for our arrival day and MNSSHP wouldn't have been an issue but now our first MK day is cut short because of it. The only reason I didn't move the park days around was because I couldn't move the dining PS.

Oh well, it would have been weird moving the MK day anyway.

We never do MK first.

We always start with DHS as it's a gentle day although last year I did foul up! I left MK until about our 6th day!!!

What a mistake! Even Lee told me off!

This year, I think we have DHS on day one, Universal on day two and then MK on day 3. I should manage to get by without being told off this year!!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

We always end up at MK on our third day. Our first day is usually a shortend one because of traveling, our first full day at disney DH likes to get a slower start so we usually end up at HS or Epcot with dinner at Coral Reef. On our 3 day we are up early for b'fast at crystal palace and spend the entire day at MK. It's so magical to walk down Main Street for the first time by ourselves!
    Love & Pixie Dust
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by Kylie'smom View Post
    It's so magical to walk down Main Street for the first time by ourselves!
    We ate at the Princess Storybook Breakfast on our last trip and it was downright creepy when we were heading in. EPCOT was empty of people. I didn't even see any CM's. I could hear some background music and the wind blowing but that was it. It was almost like we were the only people left in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by G00fyDad View Post
    We ate at the Princess Storybook Breakfast on our last trip and it was downright creepy when we were heading in. EPCOT was empty of people. I didn't even see any CM's. I could hear some background music and the wind blowing but that was it. It was almost like we were the only people left in the world.
    World Showcase does feel empty early in the mornings, but when we visit it's always around Christmas time and they have the Christmas music playing - its very relaxing. It always makes me happy
    Love & Pixie Dust
    Patty

What is wrong with Disney? They put out the hours for September and October then they change them about 5 or 6 days ago. Now they are changing them back to the original hours? The changes are not very big, just an hour or two here and there but I just printed out alot of my itinerary sheets, in color, and now some of the hours are wrong.

I know, I know, small issue. LOL Just baffling is all.

I agree with Goofy Dad...plan but don't over plan..(this is coming from a man that makes spreadsheets and a woman that makes a book every vacation…and neither of us over plan) I think it takes away from the magic of it all...when something goes not go as planned and it messes the plan and makes some unhappy...Disney is tooooooo much fun to be upset over a plan not working...go with the flow. There are a number of things that happen that you don't know will happen and they many times are the best like at DHS the street players....they are a hoot to watch.

This said however....there are some things you should plan
    If you want to eat at a table service restaurant...GET A RESERVATION...I did not do this once when we went down to watch our HS band. Our kids were out of HS this time buy our son was the drum line instructor this trip...we did not know what exactly was going on at MK that day with the band, so we did not get ADR and just went to eat at Crystal Palace and could not get in...it was book to the max. We ate quick meals and still had a great time...we went to DHS the next day and that night I called and got a ADR for Prime Time...and we did get in

However, since the Disney Dining Plan has been implemented...it seems that reservations are harder to get...more people using the dining plan and eating at table service restaurants...example we are going to be at WDW on 10/9 and wanted to eat at Chef Mickey's in the evening...earliest we could get is 8:20 and I called 175 days ahead...I have called back a few times to see if anything opened up but no...so we will eat then...not so bad we live in central time zone so 7:20 for us and we eat sort of late most nights....a few years ago before the dining plan I could have probably called 2-3 weeks and got a reservation.

If there are attractions, show, etc that you think are must sees…hit them first when you get to that part of the park…at MK we do each as we hit the different “lands” Ours are the CoP (me) and Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean (son) Dumbo (grandchildren). At other parks we go and get fastpasses as soon as we get in the parks and plan around the times for the fastpass or at Animal Kingdom we go get on the safari first….more animals out in the mornings.

The only other advice is to get a place sort of early for the parades or fireworks (wishes, illuminations, or fantasmic) so you can see them especially if it is your first trip...you will want to see them...

Don't miss the shows at Disney they are unlike any others you will see...they show a number of times everyday...plan a time to see them when you get to the parks the times are on the free maps and inserts that give you all that information as you come into all the parks....many of them are in AC and gets you off your feet and cooled down...along with great entertainment.
    SO….Get your reservations...all this does is books you into that park that day...or hop to that park or resort to eat at your reservation time...the rest is all fun...

Unless you are staying for a couple of weeks you will not see it all...plan your next trip on your way home...have fun!
    Last edited by quinsippi5; 09-11-2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    quinsippi5
    1983 first trip, 1987, 1994, 2001 (with our kids BAND--MK) 2002 (son in CP) 2003 (daughter in CP-3 trips to FL) 2004 (family trip) 2005 (watch our HS band march in MK again!) 2006 (12 of us went--fun fun fun) FW...cabins, 2009 (3 trips) POP, CBR, 2010 POP

Quote Originally Posted by quinsippi5 View Post
    The only other advice is to get a place sort of early for the parades or fireworks (wishes, illuminations, or fantasmic) so you can see them especially if it is your first trip...you will want to see them...
    I couldn't agree more! Oddly enough, we have always had the good fortune to happen upon awesome spots for parades with very little wait time. On one trip we happened to be resting on a rock wall along the walkway in Animal Kingdom and a CM came along putting tape down right in front of our feet. We asked her what she was doing (we'd never seen a parade at WDW before ) and when we found out there was a parade coming along shortly we hung around for a bit. GREAT seats! Oh, and a family came along 5 minutes before the parade and actually sat in the street in front of us. A CM came along and asked them to please move so all they did was scoot back against our feet. The husband was actually between my knees and looked back at me and asked me to move! LOL It's a good thing we were at Disney. It kept me from doing what I REALLY wanted to do. The CM told him that scooting back against us wasn't working and they would have to find another spot. They were really tee'd off. LOL

We plan around dining and EMH. We also start our trip out with MK and end with MK. At one time we would start our trip out with a Chip and Dale dinner at Liberty Tree as it was a happy Thanksgiving type of meal to start off our trip. We quit doing that however when Disney cut the characters for some odd reason. We always end our trip with Crystal Palace.

As a kid - 15 or so visits to WDW
    1998 - Off grounds - Newlyweds.
    2006 - MOVIES - First time as Parents - DiveQuest - DS 2 DS 6
    2008 - POP - Pirate and Princess Party
    2010 - PORFQ - Mardi Gras
    2010 - MNSSHP - Attempted Shuttle Viewing - DTD Hotel
    2012 - POP - Divequest of DS 12yo - First time for Mother in 20 years.

I buy a Passporter Guide to WDW (I am not affiliated but love them) PassPorter Travelers Store - Disney Travel Books and Guides. Since I go fairly often I bought the Deluxe Edition and just buy a refill every year I am going. Their maps are the best I have ever found and I wish I could buy them in a larger size laminated but they do not have them. Their guide is very helpful in planning what you want to see. I still do this every time and have been many times. As your vacation gets closer find out what the park hours are going to be https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/calendars/ during your visit as well as note any closures. I always stay at a WDW Resort to take advantage of the Magical Express Airport Shuttle as well as the Extra Magic Hours. You can then plan which park(s) you would like to visit on which days. I usually spend most of the day at one park but sometimes go to another park for a few hours. Sometimes I like to go to one park then go back to the room and eat lunch at the resort and take a nap then head to a different park. Depending on how many days you are going and the type tickets you have I also recommend not visiting any park one or two days. There is plenty to do at the resorts and other parts of WDW that do not require park admission. You may as well do those on a day you are not paying for admission. Another tip is I buy 10 day Park Hopper tickets with No Expiration. You can also add the Water Parks and More "Fun Visits" to it. The daily cost is about half the single day price doing it this way and the days you have left never expire. Just make sure to take a picture of the numbers on your ticket in case you lose it. I think it is best to plan more than you think you will be able to see but prioritize what you want to see and do. Take time to see and enjoy things and don't just rush through everything. I do try and make a couple of Dinner reservations for places I really want to eat at but leave the rest up to where I am and what sounds good at the moment. Another helpful tool if you have an iPhone is the Disney Parks App. It gives wait times and allows you to mark the attractions and things you want to see and do. I find that my battery drains quickly in the parks though so mainly use your maps and use the apps as needed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234