Automated Spiels on Disney Buses

View Poll Results: What do you think of the automated spiels on Disney buses?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Awesome

1 5.26%
  • Very Good

4 21.05%
  • Good

4 21.05%
  • Neutral

7 36.84%
  • Poor

1 5.26%
  • Very Poor

0 0%
  • Dismal

2 10.53%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Automated Spiels on Disney Buses

I have a slightly strange poll here. I understand both the pros and cons of the automated spiel system, and if you've been to Disney World in the last six months and used the bus system, I want to get your take.

What do you think of the new Automated Spiels on the buses? I've given you seven different choices, I think one of them should cover everyone that's seen the system.
    Last edited by MonorailGuy; 11-28-2007 at 08:06 PM.
    Disney Buses: March 24, 2007 - December 9, 2007
    Kilimanjaro Safaris: December 10, 2007 - July 6, 2008
    Monorails: July 6, 2008 -

Re: Automated Spiels on Disney Buses

I like the new recordings! They've always had that on the monorails, so having it on the buses seems like a natural fit. It provides some good information especially for those who are less familiar with the parks, and my family of disney veterans thought it was a fun new addition

I know you've expressed your feeling on previous posts but I'm ok with the recordings if the driver is a quiet, non interactive CM. Now, if you have a driver that likes to interact and tell jokes, do trivia, give Disney facts, that should still be allowed. From what it appears is that that kind of interaction is no longer allowed. Why, maybe its a control thing since there are no "scripts" for the drivers and they don't want drivers saying the wrong thing, but like other jobs, ie Jungle Cruise Skipper, there should be guidelines to go by but the drivers should not be silenced.

That's my take on it.
    Mike

I've voted neutral which I know is a bit of a non-answer.

I have several likes and dislikes though.....

We don't use the busses that much (we find taking the car is quicker and more comfortable) and have only had one experience, 3 years ago, of a "fun" driver who hosted a question and answer session, complete with sing-along (wasn't you was it Bryan??). There was a great atmosphere on the bus and everyone joined in.

Having said that, there's an air of excitement that the automated speil creates on the busses - very much like the monorail. The voice is very distinctive and for me, I immediately link it with Disney, excitement and anticipation. In that respect, I prefer the recording.

On the other hand, often - especially later in the day/evening, the bus is packed out with weary vacationers all chatting about their day. Add in a few excited kids, a few screamimg babys and a few of the all-too-common loudmouths (that don't have a volume switch and think that everyone wants to hear their conversation) and you can't even hear the recorded message. I've tried reading it on the scrolling signs but usually have some giant standing in fromt of me, holding the handrail with hairy, sweaty armpit about three inches from my face! In that respect, I prefer the driver's entertainment as he/she tends to command the attention of the passengers and makes them all listen.

I still prefer Mix 1051 on the car radio though!
    Last edited by Winkster; 11-29-2007 at 12:27 AM.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

just got back and both me and my DH were sorely disappointed. We were in WDW for 8 days. We did a lot of hopping so we rode the busses a lot. First the little automated spiel last only a few minutes it tells bus safety and welcome to the park. On the way home it again gives bus safety, thanks you for visiting and calls out the bus stop.

Finally our last bus the night before leaving we had a real voice it was great and my kids thoght he was great. They came home with new jokes and new Disney trivia. He still played the necessary automated bus safety. It was just nice to have a real voice giving you thanks for visiting the parks. More personal.
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes"

I am pretty much in agreement with Winkster (including preferring to use our own car).

If the driver is fun, then I prefer him or her to the automated voice. I had a hilarious driver on the Magic Kingdom parking lot tram one time. I almost didn't want to get off when we got to our area.

But I agree that at the end of the day, when we're all tired and the kids are cranky, it can be more annoying than helpful.
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

Mickey Re: Automated Spiels on Disney Buses

We just returned from spending a delightful Thanksgiving weekend At Disney World, staying at Fort Wilderness. The new automated spiels were fine, usually clear and audible. We did get a kick out of them in one way though.....everytime we made a stop the voice would remind us to "stay seated while the motorcoach is in motion, BUT for those of you standing, please hold onto the handrails." So, everyone should be sitting down, nice to know if you are standing due to no empty seats <GRIN!>.
    The other odd thing was that the sign at the end of the road where our cabin was read; "Heron Hollow", yet the voice always pronounced it "Fern Hollow"?

I thought it was good, but please get rid of the Banjo music for the POR! Maybe Zydeco or Swamp Pop music would be better!

I understand that later on, the music is supposed to rotate.

As far as the Port Orleans music, I've had it get stuck on buses I was driving for an hour, and it does get much better than that first song.

Once the music starts rotating so instead of just the first three songs you hear later parts of the track, it should be much nicer.

I can imagine people staying at Pop Century have to get a bit tired of the Austin Powers theme after awhile .

I think the opinions expressed here are interesting. They cover the whole board of opinion, and that was what I wanted to see, as well as why you do/don't like the automated spiels. Thank you.

They play the movie score from Titanic on the MK buses...

Quote Originally Posted by SaveDisney2004
    They play the movie score from Titanic on the MK buses...
    Which direction were you going, which resort, and how long were you on the bus?

Over at Studios, if you let it play long enough, it eventually gets to the Star Trek IV theme (the best one besides maybe VI).

wow I dont remember hereing any music. Just the safety stuff & bus stop info.
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes"

Quote Originally Posted by MonorailGuy
    Which direction were you going, which resort, and how long were you on the bus?

Over at Studios, if you let it play long enough, it eventually gets to the Star Trek IV theme (the best one besides maybe VI).
    MK to OKW...before getting off at old turtle pond, the OKW calypso-syle loop had run its course and the MK music loop began to play for the boarding guests heading to MK.
    Last edited by SaveDisney2004; 12-04-2007 at 08:39 AM.

Interactive bus drivers are far preferable to the pre-recorded messages. However, when you have bus drivers that say nothing, the messages are better than nothing. And for hotels that have several stops, it is nice having the name of the stop announced before you get there.
    Leanne
    Author - Highland Wishes
    Scottish War for Independence Saga

I do know this is an old thread BUT I would like to add i am big fan of Disney transportation especially the motor coaches and now years later the automated is what you get. I understand all reasons why they did away with the interaction but IMO! Interaction, jokes, and etc from knowledgable happy employees is the best and they should have not changed it. It should haved stayed optional for the drivers at the very least.
    Frying pans! Who knew, right!?

Talk Disney Moderator

Click here to become a Premium

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast