18 year old guy.

Red face 18 year old guy.

Hello all TD-ers,

I have been to Disney World many, many times. However, this is the first trip to the happy place that I am bringing along my boyfriend of 1 year and 9 months. He is 18 years old and not a huge Disney fan, although he loves Finding Nemo and Ratatouille. He's a typical teenage guy. Anyway, I was hoping that there are 18 year old guys out there or moms or dads with 18 year old boys that can give me a few tips in showing him a great time, without skipping the things that I love most (everything!).

I should also mention that he has never been to the states before. We will be vacationing in Maryland the week before our visit to Disney World with my family.

Please help! Love to all,

Anna
    *A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes*

Anna is my name and Disney is my game!

Re: 18 year old guy.

I am sure you can get him to do the thrill rides. TOT and Rock n Roller Coaster!

Read reviews on every disney attraction, resort, restaurant, and activity! -> Disneyreviews.com

I sure hope so. But he is kinda scared to go on TOT because he is afraid of heights..but I think i could get him to do it. Im just scared that he's not going to enjoy the whole aspect of Disney World. Like the characters, the parades or the rides like Peter Pan, Buzz Lightyear or POTC. I hope he does though. Disney is such a big part of my life.

Thats a hard one for me. I always loved Disney from the first time I went with my parents and grandparents until the last trip I went on with my wife... I think the magic of it has a lot to do with who you are with. I am sure you guys will have a great time! When you are so excited it will be imposable for him not to be!

I am sure some other members are young men or have a teen in the family. Lets see what they have to offer!

Read reviews on every disney attraction, resort, restaurant, and activity! -> Disneyreviews.com

Well I am no longer a teen (I just turned 24), but I am not too far off and I teach Juniors and Seniors so I have a decent idea on an 18 year old guy's point of view.

Although we may have some cultural differences, with me being from deep south louisiana where the key to get me to do anything is to give me some good food. When I went for my first time at 21 I was petrified. I do not, repeat, DO NOT ride rollercoasters. I personally feel TOT is just too intimidating to ride first. But first impressions do last the longest, so start with something big and fun. A close friend of mine is a cast member and he took me any my girlfriend (both rookies) on Rock n Rollercoaster. It is now one of our most favorite rollercoasters world wide. It broke my fears and got our trip started off right.

The only way I can describe my transformation is in movie terms. In theatre I was taught about suspense of disbelief (We will call SOD for short). And no one does it like Disney. SOD is when you take all logic and throw it out of the window. It is what makes you jump at a scary movie or cry when old yeller died. For that little while you believe. and at Disney World I was in SOD for my entire stay after that rollercoaster. And to this day I am still hooked.

With that being said, he will come around. Don't push him too hard because he will not likely do it. And don't worry about his enjoyment of the parks, because if you do then you won't be enjoying the trip too yourself. Just let Disney handle the magic, by the time you leave he will be a ten year old all over again.
    Logan

Pluto, that's a tough one. I would guess the thrill rides such as space mountain and RnRC are your best bets. Since you guys aren't 21, I am not sure which clubs you can get into on the boardwalk or PI.
    Other than that I am sure that once he sees how excited you are down there he will be just as excited. Don't worry. You guys will have a great time and you will create wonderful memories together.

WDW:'84 '87 '89 '92 '99 '04 '07 '09/ DLR:'05 '07
    "I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing- that it was all started by a mouse." ~Walt Disney
    Always Remember, Never Forget! 9/11/01

I personally think age is insignificant at WDW.

I've done all the kiddies rides starting from age 20 and still often do them now at 36.

I love the coasters although maybe starting "coaster-lite" on something like Thunder Mountain and working up to Everest, RnR and ToT might be a good idea. Lets face it though, WDW doesn't really have many intense coasters - RnR is the only one that comes anywhere near that category in my humble opinion.

As for the other rides, there's the Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Test Track, Kali Rapids, and so on - all of which I think most people would enjoy regardless of age.

We don't do the parades now and it works for us. If your boyfriend isn't in to watching Mickey and co goof around (do you see what I did there??? ) then skip the parades and catch a ride or three instead.

There's plenty of rides that are less about fun (though we still enjoy them!) and more "interesting" - The Land is one that springs to mind. And then there's the simulators (Star Tours etc) and the films (HISTA etc).

Personally though, I think Disney World is more about the experience and the atmosphere rather than just the rides (otherwise I'd spend all my time at UIoA!). I love rides like the TTA and the Liberty Belle - rides where you can just relax and soak up that unique Disney atmosphere.

And I haven't even started on the non-park stuff (golf, horse riding, segway tours, mini-golf, sports, games (Disney Quest) and so on!

There's so much to do at WDW, I seriously doubt that anyone, regardless of age, couldn't find loads to do that they'd love.

Enjoy your trip!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Winkster, I agree. I am 61 and still climb on the carousel with or without my grandchildren.
    Mandy

Hi Anna,

I had a similar problem with my fiance when we went a few years ago. I thought he was going to HATE everything about Disney. He reluctantly went to all of the parks the first couple of days with me, and slowly saw that there was much more to Disney than just a bunch of characters and kids running around.

We did spend a lot of time by the pool, and he loved the Boardwalk. Don't worry, I bet your boyfriend will surprise you. He may say now that he won't like it, but just wait when you get down there. O another thing, maybe he might like Disney's Wide World of Sports.

What I learned was with Eric (my fiance) I did a lot of different things at Disney that I would otherwise never experience. I'm sure the two of you will have a blast!
    *I have been to WDW at least once a year since 1984-2003...But I'm not sure as to where I stayed (I was too young)*
    October 2003-POP Century*October 2004-POP Century*October 2005- French Quarter*June 2006- POP Century*October 2007- Animal Kingdom Lodge*May 2008- Coronado Springs* February 2009- Coronado Springs*October 2009-Pop Century*March 2010-Swan & Dolphin

Ok, the problem is not going to be with him, it'll be with you. Hear me out. Even if he is not a huge Disney Lover, you need to worry about you being you. Don't change what you would normally do for him. We've all seen your pics around TD and you seem to be very outgoing and show the characters love. So, you have to stick with it and he will come around and go with it for you.

My wife, then gf, and I would go to Disney all the time and even if it was a 2 day trip, there would always be more to the trips than just the rides. After all this is Disney, not Busch Gardens. I know things don't work like in the past where characters will just show up and you have a spontanious meet and greet, but you can warm him up to the idea by riding first then hit the characters. Don't just go straight for characters because then he'll think, geez, are we going to do this all day.

Don't worry, all will work out. It's not the most Magical Place on Earth for nothing right??
    Last edited by WDW 24/7; 10-28-2008 at 10:50 AM.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mandy0726 View Post
    Winkster, I agree. I am 61 and still climb on the carousel with or without my grandchildren.
    LOL - My dad is 63 and loves the carousel too! When he and my mum do to WDW, he's always straight on the carousel.
    Just a dream away!

wow! Thank you all so much for the ideas. Don't worry, I would never change how I act at Disney World for anyone. When I go to Disney World, right after I pass under the big arch that says Walt Disney World I am a little kid again. I enjoy everything there is to do and see and I hope my boyfriend will too. Once again thank you for all the great support and info from all of you! I will be sure to put up pictures of our trip when I get back. Yea I know its still 66 days away. I'm just so excited.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW 24/7 View Post
    Ok, the problem is not going to be with him, it'll be with you. Hear me out. Even if he is not a huge Disney Lover, you need to worry about you being you. Don't change what you would normally do for him. We've all seen your pics around TD and you seem to be very outgoing and show the characters love. So, you have to stick with it and he will come around and go with it for you.

My wife, then gf, and I would go to Disney all the time and even if it was a 2 day trip, there would always be more to the trips than just the rides. After all this is Disney, not Busch Gardens. I know things don't work like in the past where characters will just show up and you have a spontanious meet and greet, but you can warm him up to the idea by riding first then hit the characters. Don't just go straight for characters because then he'll think, geez, are we going to do this all day.

Don't worry, all will work out. It's not the most Magical Place on Earth for nothing right??

I 2nd this motion! This is very very true!
    Logan

Quote Originally Posted by WDW 24/7 View Post
    Don't change what you would normally do for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by CueLannoo View Post
    I 2nd this motion!

I know where you're coming from but I think it's more about compromise.

You need to change some of the things you like to accomodate things that you know he'll like and similarly, he should see that and do some things for you.

That way, you're both doing things you like and also trying new things to make each other's trip even better.

Just a dream away!

Quote Originally Posted by Winkster View Post
    I know where you're coming from but I think it's more about compromise.

That way, you're both doing things you like and also trying new things to make each other's trip even better.

Yup I think so too! When my fiance and I go, it is a totally different trip then when I go with my mother. My mom and I are always on the go, whereas my fiance and I go a little slower, spend a little more time at the pool and so on. Both ways I enjoy, but the first time I went with Eric it was definitly an adjustment.
    *I have been to WDW at least once a year since 1984-2003...But I'm not sure as to where I stayed (I was too young)*
    October 2003-POP Century*October 2004-POP Century*October 2005- French Quarter*June 2006- POP Century*October 2007- Animal Kingdom Lodge*May 2008- Coronado Springs* February 2009- Coronado Springs*October 2009-Pop Century*March 2010-Swan & Dolphin