Taking Kids out Of School
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Taking Kids out Of School

Hi All...
    We have a great oppertunity to go to see the mouse the first week of June.... Catch is we are battling with the idea to take DS that is 6 in first grade out of school for 6 days.... I say do it... wife isn't sure.... Any teaches chime in please... School ends June 25th here in NY....
    We have no idea which way togo..... I know we ask the teacher for work. But, do you think for a moment that he is going to want to do school work.... We are also going with another group with a 2 DD both 4 and our DD 2.. Good or bad I like to hear what people think.... Thanks for you time
    Joeeo11
    Contempory 91,93
    All Star Sports 95,96
    Old Key West 2000,2001 ,2005
    Father in laws House 2003
    All Star Sports 2006
    Pop 2007
    PortOrleans Riverside 2010

Re: Taking Kids out Of School

Hi Joeeo11,

You might want to check this similar thread:

http://www.talkdisney.com/forums/sho...kids+school%22
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

It's 1st grade - they really don't do much in the last month of school in 1st grade. If it was highschool and there were exams to consider, my opinion would be different. But 1st grade - take them out of school and go to Disney and have a GREAT time.
    The waiting is the hardest part
    Every day you get one more yard
    You take it on faith, you take it to the heart
    ~Tom Petty

I took my son out of school for Disney trips when he was in 4th and 5th grade. I talked to the teachers each time and they gave him the work to do. I wouldn't do it now that he is in 8th grade and has to go to different teachers for different classes. It was well worth it. We went the week after Thanksgiving so the crowds were low and the weather was great.
    You know your kid, if they won't fall behind, go for it.
    1975 Off Property
    1985 Off Property
    2003 All Star Sports
    2004 Wilderness Lodge
    2007 Wilderness Lodge
    2008 Beach Club
    2009 Boardwalk Villas & Animal Kingdom Lodge

As a first grade teacher (also in NY), I say you should DEFINATELY GO!!!! At first I thought u had said 6th GRADE and i was a little concerned because of finals exams, reports, etc. But then i read more carefully and saw 6 yrs old, which means all they are going to miss is packing up/cleaning up. Just check with the teacher that there are no state exams going on, but as far as I know they do those earlier in the year and 3rd grade is the big state tests not 1rst.
    SEPT'89 Contemporary, MAR'01 A.S. Sports, AUG'07 A.S. Sports, OCT'08 A.S. Sports, SEPT'09 POP Century,
    NOV'10 P O Riverside, JAN'12 POP Century,
    JAN'13 P O French Quarter, OCT'13 Art of Animation
    APR'14 Caribbean Beach, SEPT'14 Coronado Springs
    DEC'14 FW Cabins, OCT'15 Caribbean Beach

Last trip my daughter was in 1st grade and we got all her work, took it with us, did some of it on the plane but we did not get it all done.

We came home on a Wednesday and I sent her to school on Thursday with the work that was done, figuring we would finish the rest over the weekend (they were off of school on Friday) and send it to school with her on Monday.

I was shocked when I got a call from her teacher basically yelling at me for not doing the work while we were on vacation. Oops!

Next trip she'll be in 3rd grade so I'm sure that there will be more work sent home than there had been in 1st grade. Now I'll know that we get it ALL done before she goes back to school and take time during our vacation to do the work.

Lesson learned
    ~Tom Petty

This is exactly why my wife and I have decided to home school. We just like to pick up and go when we have the opportunity. I say go.

8. Re: Taking Kids out Of School

Life is too short and precious to worry about what ifs. You never know what's around the corner, so I always say, if you thinks it's the right thing to do, then do it. You can catch up on school work, but you can never catch up with lost time spent enjoying your children. Especially at WDW!!

my parents used to take me out of school for vacations all of the time when I was a kid... They would make me do all of my homework on the plane ride down there. If I didn't have it done, then I couldn't go into the parks until it was.
    *I have been to WDW at least once a year since 1984-2003...But I'm not sure as to where I stayed (I was too young)*
    October 2003-POP Century*October 2004-POP Century*October 2005- French Quarter*June 2006- POP Century*October 2007- Animal Kingdom Lodge*May 2008- Coronado Springs* February 2009- Coronado Springs*October 2009-Pop Century*March 2010-Swan & Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerina View Post
    my parents used to take me out of school for vacations all of the time when I was a kid... They would make me do all of my homework on the plane ride down there. If I didn't have it done, then I couldn't go into the parks until it was.
    I would make my husband stay in the room with my 2nd grade daughter and get her homework done and I would take the younger one and off to MK we would go! She'd get her work done lickity split with that bit of motivation.

But I have to take the blame for the homework fiasco last trip - I didn't make the time to get it done. I was more interested in being at WDW and doing and seeing as much as we could.
    ~Tom Petty

We have taken our girls out of school every year for the past six years in the Fall for a week. The elder is a high school Senior this year. Maybe this was our last year for a full family vacation. We have never regretted it one bit. The family bonding is way more valuable than a week in school. We meet with their principals in advance to minimize their absences. And we do collect advance school work from their teachers, and they do attend their studies each day.

One big suggestion, though. June, July, and August are the very busiest and hottest months in Orlando. You could go in July and have the same experience as in June. Or, if you decide to take them out of school, you will find March, April, or May would be more comfortable weather with much smaller crowds.

Go to Disney, but get the school work done. Whether it gets done on the way there, take a half day off and get it done at the resort - whatever. It's imprtant to balance the fun in the park with the concept that for the next 12 years, school has to be the primary responsibility. Not "wanting to do it" isn't an option. We've taken our DD out for various days in kindergarten, 1st and now 3rd grade. It gets a littel harder every year in terms of keeping up with the class work. We normally require a certain amount of work be completed before we go to the park every other day and that she do school work in transit to FL and, if necessary, on the way home.

We just got back from Disney World, our daughter is also 6y/o. We pulled her from school for 2 weeks. I say talk to the teacher. Loisa's was thrilled for us and especially for Louisa! She thought it was an amazing oppourtunity! She sent a journal for Louisa to write in every night to share with the class whebn she got back(today was first day back!) and some reading and a few math worksheets. As long as your child isn't having difficulties in school, the teahers are usually pretty supportive! Have fun!!!! I just got back and am already researching for our next trip!!!
    ~~~Brina~~~

August 2001~~~ All~Star Movies
    January 2005~~~ All~Star Movies
    Nov/Dec. 2008~~~ Carribbean Beach Resort

i have always taken my kids out... even now when one is in college.... GO FOR IT! we always let the teachers know and got any work they could give them.
    Mike
    "Drink up me Hardees... Yo Ho"
    One day in Disney is better than none !!!
    30+ trips and counting to WDW
    EW Contemp. 83, Contemp. 84, Ft. Wilderness 85 EW Contemp. 86,Class trip 86, Oak Island Cove 02, Radisson 03, Radisson 03, POR 04, Radisson 04 Renaissance Inn 04, POR 2\05, POP 3\05, POR 06, POR 07, POR 08, AKL 10\08, AKL 3\09, Jambo House 5\09........ too many to list now :-)

We also took all of our kids out of school for two weeks each year for 7 years, and most of the teachers were very supportive of the family time. We got more greif from the coaches for pulling the kids out of sports and cheer leading. All of our kids are good students and that is why it didn't bother us taking the kids out of school. They made the work up with in a week of our returning from our trip.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast