Taking Kids out Of School - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    i was raised in titusville florida then moved outta state to alabama and still dont like it!

Re: Taking Kids out Of School

see my only advice to parents being a 22 year old knowing about school is the only problem they might have are 3 things..1 if your kids are involved in sports then it might cause a problem with that 2nd..school activites like chorus or band i know chorus does candleight in december and then next year does alot of parades or shows for disney and band as well..3 if they have an attendance problem might be as well it all just really depends thats why where going in may 2009 for my birthday plus kids outta school.

I agree with what most others have said. GO!!

My parents always took me out of classes to go to Disneyland. From elementary, and even now in college. It was always worth it, family time is more valuable than school. Especially if you go into the teachers now, tell them your going on vacation, and get them to give your children some work to do before hand. I always did some work on the plane down there and back.

Do it... it will be worth it.

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

I want to thank everyone for there advice.... It help make a important decision alittle easier.. My wife is open to the idea alittle more which is exciting for the kids.... Thanks everyone....
    Contempory 91,93
    All Star Sports 95,96
    Old Key West 2000,2001 ,2005
    Father in laws House 2003
    All Star Sports 2006
    Pop 2007
    PortOrleans Riverside 2010

My wife is a teacher and on our 2006 trip we had the same predicament. We decided however that my son would learn just as much (life lessons) at WDW. His teacher agreed. She gave him all his work that he was going to miss and we did it on the plane to and from. He went back in after we returned right into a test and aced it. He did not miss a thing. Also, I will say personally that I had perfect attendance throughout school and could actually count on two hands the # of classes I missed in 9 yrs of college. All perfect attendance got me in school was a certificate each year which I cannot even find. I did do good in school but, I can remember something from each of our summer trips to WDW. In the long run, your kid will get more out of a week at WDW.....

As a kid - 15 or so visits to WDW
    1998 - Off grounds - Newlyweds.
    2006 - MOVIES - First time as Parents - DiveQuest - DS 2 DS 6
    2008 - POP - Pirate and Princess Party
    2010 - PORFQ - Mardi Gras
    2010 - MNSSHP - Attempted Shuttle Viewing - DTD Hotel
    2012 - POP - Divequest of DS 12yo - First time for Mother in 20 years.

As a middle school teacher (and a former elementary teacher), I can tell you different teachers have very different opinions about pulling kids out of school so I strongly recommend speaking with your child's teacher in advance. About the homework discussed in previous posts: It is a royal pain to pull together weeks worth of work for students, so if you ask for work please do it! I have spent hours after school writing out instruction lists, making special copies of lessons and book pages to have all of the work returned BLANK.

I am a believer in taking vacations with your kids (I am pulling my 6 y/o out of school for a week in January), and as much as we would like to vacation at WDW when school is out, living on teachers' salaries we just can't afford to go during the expensive seasons. Vacation memories last a lifetime and kids grow up too fast, take your kids on vacation but if you ask for work from teachers make sure you do it!

Another alternative: I have had parents tell me ahead of time they were taking their kids out for vacation, they wouldn't have time to work while away, but would I mind collecting all of the work they missed and they would work on it the weekend they returned. I love this plan!!! It is much less work for the teacher as I created a pile for the student and added to it each day. Also, other kids in the class have already completed the work so if the child struggles with something I could pair them with another student for extra help and get them caught up quickly. Ask your teacher if they would prefer this method of make-up work, I know I sure did.

Have a fun trip!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyPhD View Post
    As a middle school teacher (and a former elementary teacher), I can tell you different teachers have very different opinions about pulling kids out of school so I strongly recommend speaking with your child's teacher in advance. About the homework discussed in previous posts: It is a royal pain to pull together weeks worth of work for students, so if you ask for work please do it! I have spent hours after school writing out instruction lists, making special copies of lessons and book pages to have all of the work returned BLANK.

I am a believer in taking vacations with your kids (I am pulling my 6 y/o out of school for a week in January), and as much as we would like to vacation at WDW when school is out, living on teachers' salaries we just can't afford to go during the expensive seasons. Vacation memories last a lifetime and kids grow up too fast, take your kids on vacation but if you ask for work from teachers make sure you do it!

Another alternative: I have had parents tell me ahead of time they were taking their kids out for vacation, they wouldn't have time to work while away, but would I mind collecting all of the work they missed and they would work on it the weekend they returned. I love this plan!!! It is much less work for the teacher as I created a pile for the student and added to it each day. Also, other kids in the class have already completed the work so if the child struggles with something I could pair them with another student for extra help and get them caught up quickly. Ask your teacher if they would prefer this method of make-up work, I know I sure did.

Have a fun trip!!!
    I have done it both ways before, and I guess it depends on what kind of student you are. I found that if I had everything done before I left, then there wasn't 6 hundred things to do when I got back. I found that working ahead was better as I could pace myself, and found it really hard when all of your teachers expect when you are back that you catch up all 8 classes in one weekend. I have had major problems with teachers who expect projects to be done for their class the day or two after you get back, but when that happens in 8 classes... It became so stressful I needed another break when I finally got caught up.

I guess it really does depend on you as a student, and how your teachers feel about it.

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Deffinatly go! I missed a week of first grade to go to Disney World and on the Disney Cruise, but it was in October, when the teachers start digging into their lessons (I'm a New Yorker as well.)
    Currently I am on winter break (a high school student, 11th grade), and I will be missing the first week back, and missing a week in 11th grade is a lot of work to make up! So if making up a lot of high school work is worth it, missing a week in 1st grade is worth it as well!
    Good luck and happy travelings :]

I agree with most people here; at 6 yrs. old, take the homework and get going!!! My children are now 11, 13, and 15, and we cannot take them out of school for anything!!! Do it while you can; they grow sooooo fast. Another thing I would like to tell you as a mother of older kids is that you will NEVER get another chance to give your 6 year old this trip. The reaction you get from a 7, 8, 9 year old, etc. is completely different. We have taken our children to WDW at different ages and I am SO GLAD we didn't wait or skip that first trip when they were 2, 4,and 6. SO worth it. Life is too short to let memories like that slip through your fingers!! ENJOY!!
    A dream is a wish your heart makes, when your fast asleep.....

I´ll take my daughter a few days out of school in our WDW vacation. She is in first grade, and I talked to her teacher. We planned our trip and wanted to stay at her B-day in WDW, so I went to the school and asked for a meeting with her teacher. We explined the trip, and decided that she could antecipate a few scholar paper work before our trip, and planned a "studying plan". She is supose to end this year reading and writing, so her pre "travel" work will be "read about WDW" and there, her "during travel" work will be write post cards for family and her school teacher and friends telling about the trip. Besides she will "study" math by dealing with money (she is saving for this trip and she will take her "own" money there to buy small stuff), she will calculate the change and compare prices...Besides, there she will be supose to read things for us.

So, doing this, she will be "on schedule" and not be back in comparison to her classmates.
    Besides, while we planned this trip, we figured that the overall experience will be positive. It´s interesting that knowing about this trip, she does not wnat to miss any class during the entire year.

Finally, personal experience: my father travelled a lot for work, and he usually invited either my brothers or me to join him when my mom could not go. For those trips we skiped a few days at school, at least once each 3 months. In order to "qualify" for this trips we should have good grades and not miss class in daily basis. End up, the three of us got to know most of my country and some cities abroad, met a lot of diferent people and cultures. It all help us to develop knowledge, and turn to be more flexible persons. Even though missing some day-classess I was one of top-ten of my school, nd none had problems on getting into the college of our choice, followed by post gradution course and professional lifes. Besides, earlier n life we learned that if we do things in advance, both study and work, we could be able to rest and experience a lot of things when oportunity rings at our door.

I was very happy to read this thread. This will be the 3rd year in a row that I will be taking my DS out of school for a week. It will be the 3rd week of school. I was beginning to think that the school will be upset that we take our vacation during school each year. But reading this thread I can see that I am deffinatly not the only one that does this. I could not afford to go with-out the dinning plan so that is why we go at this time every year. BTW, my DS is going in to the 4th grade. I have never had a problem with taking him out before but I always get alittle nervous when I have to talk to the school about it.
    Missy
    Sept.2007, All Star Music Resort(1st trip to WDW)
    Sept.2008, All Star Movies Resort
    Aug.-Sept.2009, Port Orleans Riverside (1st Moderate)
    Oct.2013, Pop Century

Quote Originally Posted by GoofysMyFav View Post
    I have never had a problem with taking him out before but I always get alittle nervous when I have to talk to the school about it.
    I don't speak to the school about it. I just send in a "school excuse" letter. An example is found here http://www.themouseforless.com/downl...cuse/SE1.shtml Of course I modified it heavily to fit our situation but you get the idea.

This next trip will be a little different for us. #1 My 14 year old daughter will be a Freshman in High School (I feel older now ) and her school work will be a little different now. She says that it will not affect her in any way since she already makes A's and B's and will just take her work with her to do on the plane flight down and back.
    #2 The kids will actually be missing more school than normal. We always went to Disney about 3/4 through October. That was when the schools here have their 3 day long "Fall Break" and the kids would only miss 3 days of school, Friday, Monday, and Tuesday. This next trip we will be taking advantage of the Dining Promotion. How could we not? It will save us over $1200 on dining. And by going just 3 weeks earlier we will also save an extra $1500. I don't know how. But the CM priced two trips for us in those date ranges for this year and that was the difference. We just can't pass that up.
    Last edited by G00fyDad; 06-15-2009 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by G00fyDad View Post
    I don't speak to the school about it. I just send in a "school excuse" letter. An example is found here http://www.themouseforless.com/downl...cuse/SE1.shtml Of course I modified it heavily to fit our situation but you get the idea.

This next trip will be a little different for us. #1 My 14 year old daughter will be a Freshman in High School (I feel older now ) and her school work will be a little different now. She says that it will not affect her in any way since she already makes A's and B's and will just take her work with her to do on the plane flight down and back.
    #2 The kids will actually be missing more school than normal. We always went to Disney about 3/4 through October. That was when the schools here have their 3 day long "Fall Break" and the kids would only miss 3 days of school, Friday, Monday, and Tuesday. This next trip we will be taking advantage of the Dining Promotion. How could we not? It will save us over $1200 on dining. And by going just 3 weeks earlier we will also save an extra $1500. I don't know how. But the CM priced two trips for us in those date ranges for this year and that was the difference. We just can't pass that up.
    That letter is awesome! Thank you SOOO much! That will help me out alot!

So, how many days will your kids miss this year?
    Is this the first time you are taking advantage of the dinning promotion?
    Missy
    Sept.2007, All Star Music Resort(1st trip to WDW)
    Sept.2008, All Star Movies Resort
    Aug.-Sept.2009, Port Orleans Riverside (1st Moderate)
    Oct.2013, Pop Century

We're actually not going until next year. But they will be missing about 6 days instead of their normal 3.

Yes, this next one will be the firs trip we will have taken advantage of the free DDP promo.

[quote=G00fyDad;428556]I don't speak to the school about it. I just send in a "school excuse" letter. An example is found here http://www.themouseforless.com/downl...cuse/SE1.shtml Of course I modified it heavily to fit our situation but you get the idea.

In our case, I preferred to talk directly to my daughter´s teacher. I explained that travelling off-season would be better for us - once my husband and mine vacation are dificult to be schedule during school vacation, and by travelling she would experience a lot of different things, besides Disney is Disney!!! Anyway, we figure out together a way of doing some previous complimentary work, as well as maintain some "scholar" activitie during her vacation. She is so compromised with this schedule that even if she is not feeling well, she says she does not want to miss class!!! A couple of weeks ago we spend a "longer" weekend at a city in a state near ours, she missed two days of school, but she learned about ecology, ecossitem, waterfalls...and returned with a lot of small prospects regarding those themes that she explained to her classmates. She also took some photos and explained about wild animals (she loved the "tucano" and the several parrots and "araras"). The things she learned at the animal reserve, and looking at the waterfall and understanding about ecology and world preservation are priceless. Besides a quality family time also provides many (priceless) memories that you take with you all your life.

I do not thing 6-day is a long period, they may study in advance previous of the trip, and when they return in a few days, with a little "extra" work (provided by disney energy....) they will certainly catch up. I travelled in my youth during high school, even during undergrad and graduate course. And I learned how to catch up, and how to prepare in advance for a trip, so that became a non-planned lesson, but a very usefull one - not to post pone and try to be up to date! I´´m sure your daugther will manage her grades easily!!! And you will enjoy disney

When I was a kid and my father was in the USAF stationed in Japan we would come home for vacations and he would use all 4 weeks worth in one shot. LOL Try missing a month of school and making that work up Luckily for me I was only in the lower grades and the work was easier to get made up.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast