Taking Kids out Of School - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Taking Kids out Of School

I have a similar situation. We booked and the school calander was changed here in NJ. DS is starting k! He will be missing the first three days of school. I was VERY concerned about it, but my husband says it is only kindergarten. I am a teacher and I work with him daily! I did not want him to miss, especially since he will miss a week in dec for our trip for his birthday! But I caved
    My advice would be take the week, there is not a lot going on the last few weeks in first grade, however, be sure to take the classwork from the teacher and make it a staple of your morning to start the day with a little school work. Your son will appreciate you for it and so will the teacher.

I found this thread quite interesting. We are planning a May 2010 vacation. If I recallin the lower grades it does depend on time of year. I once was told by March all the new learning is over and they review what the students have learned throughout the year. Basically it is review. When they go back to school the following year it is more of a short refresher of what was taught the previous year. Since my grandson is going to be in 2nd grade when we go, she has decided to pull him out. The approach that many had to get their child to do their work is interesting. I am going to pass this on and hopefully we will have success in his finishing his work quickly but correctly. Of course as a grandma I think that he is brillant LOL. Time will tell. I always find this site such a wealth of info.
    Mandy

See if you can do their school work on the plane ride down. Call a friend in their class asking for any missed work. Also because this is towards the end of the school year the work load will be a little lighter.
    ***TIP*** If you have homework (not sure what 1st graders are studying now) and your child refuses to do it , try to relate it to the park.
    EX)
    Math-
    8+3
    Mickey has a party. He invites Donald, Daisy, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, and Ariel. Thats a total of eight guests. Ariel also invites Winnie the Pooh, Eeyore, and Tigger. How many guests are there now?

MAKE IT FUN.

Spelling-
    Play Hangman

Reading-
    Write Storys about WDW and share them with each other!!!
    *** All it Takes is a Little Pixie Dust ***

Just think, it all started from Walt being tricked out of a rabbit !
    Think Tink

Who knew such a small mouse could make such a big impact

I must say that when I took my 2 older ones out of school to go to Disney it really worked. The middle one was only in Kindergarten at the time but the oldest was in 7th grade. We brought her work with us. The one teacher had her do an essay about Japan since thats what they were studying at the time. So she spent time in Japan at Epcot collecting a lot of information. But all in all the teachers were great. You are only a family for so long then they move out and start their own lives. So taking the memorable trips to me is worth it.

we have been to Disney World 4 times, and each time we have taken our 2 daughters out of school. We are actully going in April 2011, and AGAIN plan on taking them out of school for 8 days! They are in 2nd and 5th grade...

The teachers are always ok with this. We get there school work ahead of time, and they make time to do it. We live in NY also, so the car ride is long....the girls do most of thier work on the way down!!

Life is short, pull your kids from school....you wont regret it!

My wife and I struggle with this issue as well. My family pulled me out of school every year for 10 days for a disney vacation when I was a kid, where my wife's family would never do it for her. With that said, I would say go for it!
    Former Disney Trips:
    April 1980, April 1981, April 1982, April 1983, April 1984, April 1985, April 1986, April 1987, April 1989, April 1991, April, 1992, April, 1994, May 1998, October 2000 (Honeymoon), May, 2001, April 2002, October 2003, October 2005, November 2007, July, 2009, October 2010 (10 Year Anniversary), June 2012 (2 week long WDW Vacation), November 2014 (Disney Cruise and WDW), June 2015, July 2016 (Disneyland), May 2017

WE never pull out kids out of school to go to Disney. It is too hard to get the school to okay it and my kids would have so much to make up!!

My thought is no.

2015-Beach Club, 2013-Old Key West & Vero Beach, 2011- Animal Kingdom Lodge-Kidani Village, 2009- Boardwalk, 2007- Saratoga Springs, 2006- Hilton Head, 2006- School Trip, 2004- Wilderness Lodge & Ft. Wilderness, 2003-Disneyland, 2001- Boardwalk, 2001- Vero Beach, 2000-Dixie Landings (Join DVC) 2000- Vero Beach, 1997- Dixie Landings

Do you have kids too Disney_Lover? I know you've said you were one of twins but I didn't realise you had kids.

How old are your little'uns?

I love the family thing you have going on. Your WDW trips must be great fun!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

I meant, my parents did not pull us out. (sorry, I was writing a paper before posting about parenting a fake child).

Let me try again...
    My PARENTS never pulled us out of school for a WDW trip.

We go every other year (odd years, even we use our DVC points for other trips, like Canada, San Fran, Lake Tahoe, ect...).

We always stay 7 to 8 days and get park hoppers.

It is always a blast with our matching Disney shirts.

I am a twin and my sister and I are in our 20s and my brother is 17.

I am currently studying special eduction at a private university in Texas.

Thanks for asking (and thanks for the complement)

2015-Beach Club, 2013-Old Key West & Vero Beach, 2011- Animal Kingdom Lodge-Kidani Village, 2009- Boardwalk, 2007- Saratoga Springs, 2006- Hilton Head, 2006- School Trip, 2004- Wilderness Lodge & Ft. Wilderness, 2003-Disneyland, 2001- Boardwalk, 2001- Vero Beach, 2000-Dixie Landings (Join DVC) 2000- Vero Beach, 1997- Dixie Landings

I think I have an easier time of this than most here. We never have issues with the school about taking the kids out for the week and they always give us their home/class work before we leave. The kids will complete all of the work either before we leave and turn it in or any work that didn't get done before the trip will be done during the trip. I can then either fax it in (scan it with my laptop and then fax it) or the kids can turn it in when we return. The school work just isn't really a factor for us in this decision. Out daughter is 15 and a Sophomore in high school and our son is 7 and in 2nd grade. We were only ever really worried about our daughter since she has the hardest work to complete but we always leave the decision to her as to whether she goes or not. She makes very good grades and we trust her judgment. This last trip she almost decided not to go but went for it after putting some thought into it. If she were not doing as well in school then we wouldn't consider going during school.

Our district will let us take them out, they just will have it count more on their exam options. They will let you choose not to take an exam if you only have 1 or 2 absences. If my parents take my brother out, he would be got a week and you can not take kids out the last week of school due to exams (unless you have a dr. app. or a family emergency). We just have a very strict school district!!

My parents took me out of school in third, fifth, sixth, and senior year and I had no problems. I remember in the elementary school grades I got my hw before we left and worked on it before we left and on the plane down and then when we got back. We always went the day after Thanksgiving,so we already had that Friday off so it was one less day that I actually missed class but I don't remember having trouble with any of it.
    DCP Fall Advantage 2013

We take the kids out of school since we like to travel during the fall value season. We always line the trip up with inservice days so they don't miss a full week. Our school district doesn't have a problem with it.

Sent from my iPad using TalkDisney

Quote Originally Posted by Trueloveskiss View Post
    We take the kids out of school since we like to travel during the fall value season. We always line the trip up with inservice days so they don't miss a full week. Our school district doesn't have a problem with it.

Sent from my iPad using TalkDisney
    We usually do this as well but this past trip we moved it to about 3 weeks earlier to take advantage of the FreeDDP promo and the kids missed about 6 days of school. Then Disney wound up extending it anyway. ( , , ) This next trip in 2012 we will be going back to our original dates in October during the kids Fall Break so they will only miss 3 days.

I take our kids out of school the first week in may every year so that we can go to WDW for us this is the end of the school year so with only a few weeks left it isnt a big deal and the crowds are less because most other kids are still in school at that time so it works really well for us! with fairly short wait times
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, But by the moments that take our breaths away!

If you can dream it, You can do it!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast