Taking Kids out Of School - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: Taking Kids out Of School

As an elementary school teach I would of course rule against it. In our state we do mandatory state testing during the last few weeks, and my policy is not to provide homework or assignments prior to issuing them to my class. I would give the students the assignment upon return from their vacation.

The $$$ is the decision you have to make. If it is too good to pass up, take it. But you are also teaching a life lesson by placing WDW before school. Not that a First Grader would understand that though.

You would also have to know your school districts policy on missed days.

Just my 2 cents.

My kids are homeschooled so we have been doubling up so they won't be behind while we get home.

Sent from my Magical iPhone using TalkDisney
    Kristin
    Wife to Jeffrey
    Mom to Jay & Jack

I always incorporated half term week and whilst away every night we wrote a journal including local news reports , weather , receipts to convert from dollars into 's . We could find so many things to do even get the French maps for the parks and did some work translating into English , the French teacher actually loved what was achieved and we took her some maps to use in class . You can actually cover each subject . We still have all the journal's , and they are fabulous keepsakes .

I'm a teacher and I say go to Disney! Believe me if I wasn't a teacher and my DS was only 6 he'd be right out of school so that we could visit in the quieter and cooler times of the year. We have to visit in July and suffer long waits in line and 100 degree heat. Take advantage while your kids are young and enjoy.
    If you can dream it you can do it.....

Most teachers are very understanding and will work with you and your kid if you tell them in advance. The first year we went my son missed the first week of school. He teacher was so excited for us, she gave us his work early so he wouldn't be behind when we returned.

Sent from my Magical iPhone using TalkDisney
    Kristin
    Wife to Jeffrey
    Mom to Jay & Jack

We have taken our kids out of school the last 3 yrs. They have missed 4 or 5 days each time.
    We have done it in twice in May and once in Nov. I have to say, it seems that it was much easier to do in May.
    The teachers have always been very supportive and cooperative with homework.
    We went this last Nov. and they missed 5 days. It has kind of bitten me in the butt this time though, because he missed 5 days a month earlier because he had pneumonia. SO, when we got back, we had a letter in the mail from school because he has already missed 12 days this year!! They are not to happy about the total days. BUT, with vacation booked so far in advance, I was not going to cancel it after the pneumonia absence.

This also got me this year
    i hadn't had a problem before this years teacher only to then find out the teacher took her kids to wdw during the school week. mind you after the teacher wasn't too cooperative with us. I Hope the teacher doesn't live in a glass house lol!
    Frying pans! Who knew, right!?

Talk Disney Moderator

Click here to become a Premium

Elgin, IL (a suburb about 40 miles outside Chicago)
    This year we will be taking our DD4 out of school, well pre-k. I hope we will not have an issue when we go in Dec. We will be gone for 2 weeks.
    ** If you can DREAM it, you can DO it. - Walt Disney **

Next year we will be taking our kids out of school for 6 weeks when we travel to USA from australia. We were a bit worried about the extended period of time but the school are fine- they believe travel is a life experience and an education in itself. We plan on having our kids write a journal, learn to convert Aussie dollars to us dollars, learn to read maps and learn about another country on the other side of the world. They are learning about the benefits of saving as they place their pocket money in the holiday money boxes, slowly watching it grow and will also learn about budgeting as they spend their money whilst we are away. I think we only live once and kids are only young once, so enjoy!

We typically try to go to WDW 2x per year. We try to schedule around school vacations but we usually encroach on school time a little bit - either adding a couple days to the end of school vacation or leaving a couple days early. Our DD is now in 6th grade and she's missed a couple days every year since kindergarten and her teachers love the ecitement she brings back every time. I really think it depends on the kid, how they are doing in school and the parent's willingness to ensure they get the work done. We just tacked a couple days on to Christmas vacation to be at WDW for Marathon weekend. She's been learning about reflection, refraction, planes etc. There were learning experiences all around -- the flaps on the wing of the plane, the lasers in the smoke during illuminations, 3D glasses are color filters - things we've seen a hundred times took on new meaning now that she has more understanding - school makes sense when applied! Vacation is what you make it and a parent is going to be the best judge of whether or not their child can handle being out of the school enviornment for an extended period without it impacting their ability to stay caught up with the class. Teachers should be their partners not their judge.

I took my DD11 out of school this past Dec and no issues at all. The teacher was very supportive and gave her Disney related assignments to do.
    Have a Great Day

PORT ORLEANS F/Q 2004
    BOARDWALK INN 2005
    BOARDWALK INN 2006
    BOARDWALK INN 2011

As a teacher, I see the impact of students falling behind and not only their grades suffering but they also miss out on important concepts. Even if assignments are given before hand, you do not have the teacher, the interaction with the lesson and / or activity, lab, inquiry or whatever the method of delivering the lesson. It varies with the age of the student, the subject and of course, the students abilities. As a math and science teacher in middle school, I cannot send a science lab or inquiry to be completed on vacation. I can send the math assignments but what if the parents cannot help the child. Yes, there are many parents that say they cannot help their child with pre algebra. Our school automatically fails a student who misses 10 or more days per semester and any unexcused absence can not make up work.

As a Disney Addict - I would love to go along and help your child learn and stay up on their studies.

My recommendations are to visit with your child's teachers and find out what will be going on at school during that time to avoid any huge conflicts. School is important but so is family time. I would love to go to Disney in the off season- but I cannot leave 160 kids to a substitute. I am a spring break. Fall break and summer Disney girl. Better than nothing.
    Tinker69
    1st WDW Visit 6/2001, ASM 8/2010, ASM 3/2011, CBR 6/2011, 1st DL 10/11, POFQ 3/2012, POR 5/2012, DL 7/12, PC & AOA 10/12, DL 3/13, CSR 6/13, Coming Soon 1st Disney Cruise Dream 10/13 & PC 10/13

My boys are 5 and 6 and we're taking them out of school for a week in April. To me it's completely worth it! Yes they're going to be missing a week of school but all their work will get done. Plus the weather will be wonderful and the lines won't be that bad.

taking the kidz out of school

I'm trying to decide if it would be better to take the kids out of school at the beginning or the end of the school year. They are both in elementary school. September seems early in the school year but it is really just a review of the year before and may seems perfect but they usually do important testing thiis month. Are there any teachers on here or anyone for that matter who could offer some advice on this very important decision? I cannot take the summer heat or crowds so June to August is definitely not an option! Thanks so much!
    Animal Kingdom Lodge September, 2001
    Animal Kingdom Lodge August, 2009
    Carribean Beach Resort October, 2011

We did that one year, and we LOVED IT! The weather was great, crouds were practicaly NON EXISTING (we didn't need to use our fast passes at all), and since we talked to the teachers before hand, they were really understanding, no problems for our kiddos at school!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast