Taking Kids out Of School - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Re: taking the kidz out of school

We are doing this for the first time in September since that's the only way to attend MNSSHP. Mine will be in 2nd and Kindergarten. They will only be missing three days the way we have it planned, so that's not too bad. I think beginning of the year would be better just b/c they do a lot of fun things at the end of the year. Hoping it works out without any issues. Have fun whatever you decide!
    Couldn't imagine life without WDW!
    Last Trip: Oct 2015
    Upcoming: Feb 2016
    Treehouses(2) Vaca. Villas(2) Poly(1) Contemporary(1) CSR(1) CBR(4) POR(1) Sports(4) OKW(1) SSR(2) AKL(1)
    **Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally, Golly, what a day!**

Re: taking the kidz out of school

Quote Originally Posted by minniemom View Post
    I'm trying to decide if it would be better to take the kids out of school at the beginning or the end of the school year. They are both in elementary school. September seems early in the school year but it is really just a review of the year before and may seems perfect but they usually do important testing thiis month. Are there any teachers on here or anyone for that matter who could offer some advice on this very important decision? I cannot take the summer heat or crowds so June to August is definitely not an option! Thanks so much!
    I've merged these threads as we already have a thread on the same subject.

This thread explains our policy on duplicate threads:

http://www.talkdisney.com/forums/que...d-threads.html
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Quote Originally Posted by minniemom
    I'm trying to decide if it would be better to take the kids out of school at the beginning or the end of the school year. They are both in elementary school. September seems early in the school year but it is really just a review of the year before and may seems perfect but they usually do important testing thiis month. Are there any teachers on here or anyone for that matter who could offer some advice on this very important decision? I cannot take the summer heat or crowds so June to August is definitely not an option! Thanks so much!
    I'm a teacher, I think the beginning of the year is important. This is when they get to know their teacher and make friends. But I can't say tat I myself wouldn't take my kids out of school lol I guess there's no "perfect" time. I think the end would be better. Or before christmas break. Most teachers slow own by then at least where I work
    Laur

I am doing November. It is such a tough call but with kids in 2nd grade & kgarten, I figured they would be ok.

It really comes down to the teacher and their cooperation. If they give you make up work and they cooperate with you, then all is well.
    Frying pans! Who knew, right!?

Talk Disney Moderator

Click here to become a Premium

Re: Taking Kids out Of School

We were going to take our kids to WDW in Nov/Dec. They would have missed two weeks of school. Now, we've changed our plans and will be going the first two weeks of May 2013. Our kids will be in 3rd and 1st grades. We're fortunate in that our kids attend a Montessori school. While attendance is still important, family vacations aren't frowned on like they are at a lot of public and parochial schools.
    Fort Wilderness 1972, 1981, 1985, 1987 (cabins), 1992, 1996
    Caribbean Beach Resort 1991
    Animal Kingdom Lodge 2008
    May 2013 - resort not yet chosen

I agree with the other teachers who suggest that students not be pulled out of school during the early days of the year. Those days are extremely important to establishing a positive learning environment for the year, especially with younger children.

In the past we have taken our children out immediately following another holiday (usually Easter or Columbus Day) so that we could enjoy the lower numbers that usually follow holiday weeks without much academic impact - teachers have usually worked with us as we give them plenty of warning. We are fortunate as the children attend parochial schools that generally have their holidays on different weeks than the public schools anyway.

Another time that often works is the week after Thanksgiving through the second week in December. Generally this is a light time for most US schools.

Whatever time you decide, I recommend that you work with your children's teachers. My children usually complete work and take tests before we leave in order to minimize the burden on both them and the teachers.
    Claudine
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

I definitely had the same question pop up in my mind. We wanted to go in June when the kids are out of school, My son will be in the 7th grade and my daughter in the 3rd grade. But we just decided to go in March for spring break. The kiddos won't miss school and besides that's not a peak season with WDTC, so the prices for vacation packages are lower priced!!! So it all works out.
    Disney addict for life

My daughter is in 2 nd grade now and we have taken her out every year for a week in May and have never had any problem. Last year (1st grade) she did have a homework packet that she actually finished most of it the night before we left. If she was behind in school or struggling I may have reconsidered but she is doing good and so far I haven't noticed any problems in taking her out. I realize as she gets older this may become harder to do. Her teachers have never frowned upon it. She actually has 4 children in her class this year that are missing a week of school for Disney.
    Last edited by Cmpalg; 02-28-2013 at 10:31 PM.

I have done this many times because Sept/Oct is the best time to go I think, not hot not cool (at least most of the time) and it is value season. I have taken my kids out of Elementry,Middle and high school. Of course my son had to get permission for middle and high school. The elementry was ok with it. I say go for it. I notice some teachers say not to on here. My kids are honor roll students so no worries. I guess it depends on cooperation between you and the teachers but so far we have not had any trouble.
    Last edited by Disneydude47; 02-28-2013 at 10:48 PM.
    DISNEYDUDE47 "Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

Hi there, back in the uk I take my children out for 2 weeks, my eldest child is dyslexic and has learning difficulties but I never have any problems taking him out of school, however my youngest who is very forward for his age got refused leave this year but after many arguments with the school and me asking for a good enough reason he was later granted permission. Disney is a learning experience for children of ages and my youngest has just been studying about Walt Disney so its an even more reason to allow him to go.

Taking our two boys out for three days in October. They are already out two for fall break. We did this once before when the two older boys were in elementary school. Now our middle one will be a senior and the little one will be in kindergarten. They go to a private school and we can turn in an intent to take out of school form a week in advance. My middle boy will have to get assignments and signatures from each of his teachers. Our oldest is 21 and in college he's not going this year mainly because he will be a new daddy with a two month old at that time.

From September 2013 in England you can't take your kids out of school during time term. If you do you get a 60 fine per child per parent. Next it is going to court with up to 1000 fine. Then there are more fees and lastly prison!

Guessing in the USA they still let you book time off for them? X

In New Zealand the education department DOES NOT approve of you taking kids out for overseas holidays and you have to write a letter to the school involved, you then get a letter back of disapproval and that it has been reported to education department as unexplained absenteeism..... We have done this twice a year for 2 children at two different schools for the past 6 years.as yet we have not been approached by the education department. Fingers crossed!seeing the world and experiences are far more educational than a few weeks at school is my view

Sent from my iPad using TalkDisney

Quote Originally Posted by Donnamfelton View Post
    From September 2013 in England you can't take your kids out of school during time term. If you do you get a 60 fine per child per parent. Next it is going to court with up to 1000 fine. Then there are more fees and lastly prison!

Guessing in the USA they still let you book time off for them? X
    I can't imagine paying a fine for wanting to do something special with my children!

I'm very thankful that we have the opportunity to homeschool. We actually start school late July so that if there are times we want to take off we can and not be behind in our studies or not get a summer vacation.
    Kristin
    Wife to Jeffrey
    Mom to Jay & Jack

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast