Taking Kids out Of School - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    How weird! I've never heard of a fine being charged if you take your kids out of school. When I was in elementary school, I had to opportunity to travel a lot and my parents took me out of school almost every year or two. My teachers never had a problem with it. I always had homework with me, though. I usually did it on the plane or at night. Some of my teachers were actually excited that I had the chance to travel a lot. Some teachers even gave me an assignment to write papers or do projects about things I learned during my travels. I'm a strong believer that there are just some things that are better learned from traveling than from a classroom. I think traveling is an important part of every child's life.

Quote Originally Posted by meghm View Post
    How weird! I've never heard of a fine being charged if you take your kids out of school. When I was in elementary school, I had to opportunity to travel a lot and my parents took me out of school almost every year or two. My teachers never had a problem with it. I always had homework with me, though. I usually did it on the plane or at night. Some of my teachers were actually excited that I had the chance to travel a lot. Some teachers even gave me an assignment to write papers or do projects about things I learned during my travels. I'm a strong believer that there are just some things that are better learned from traveling than from a classroom. I think traveling is an important part of every child's life.
    I completely agree!!
    Kristin
    Wife to Jeffrey
    Mom to Jay & Jack

Quote Originally Posted by meghm View Post
    Very well said! I always traveled during school months and did homework packets as well. I never fell behind.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkDisney
    Laur

I wonder if there's a difference in trip durations going on here?

I've noticed you American folk tend to take mostly shorter trips of a few days. Trips from the UK tend to be 2 weeks or more.

Maybe that accounts for differing attitudes from schools?
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Quote Originally Posted by Winkster View Post

I've noticed you American folk tend to take mostly shorter trips of a few days. Trips from the UK tend to be 2 weeks or more.

It very well could be the reason why the goverment have changed the rules.

You were always allowed up 2 weeks off but now none. If you still take them out it will be marked as a G on the register (unauthorised holiday) and thats when you get referred to the Education Investigation Department at the Council. X

That's a point, when we go away its usually for 4 weeks or more at a time, we are so far away from Europe and USA, we figure if we go anywhere its got to be a decent time away.

Sent from my iPad using TalkDisney

Quote Originally Posted by Winkster View Post

That's definitely true. The most I've ever been out if school was two weeks because we went to Hawaii. But my teacher at the time had no problem with it.

That's very true. I was only ever out for 7 days

Sent from my iPhone using TalkDisney
    Laur

Re: Taking Kids out Of School

In my opinion, it's not a good decision to take the kids out of school for having fun. Under no circumstances should the kids be allowed to sacrifice studies for enjoyment.

Hmm, just booked our Dec trip. DD will miss the last three days before Christmas break. With both my husband and me in the military, it is hard to coordinate family vacations. DD will be in fourth grade this year and has missed 2-3 days of school each year since Kindergarten for Disney trips. All her teachers have been supportive. I agree that the memories and life experiences outweigh the missed school time. DD will always remember her 9th birthday - celebrating at Cinderella's castle. Priceless!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456