Pins are addictive
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Pins are addictive

I just bought 100 pins on ebay to take with us in November to trade. Problem is I really like 1/3 of them and want to keep them... talk me down people!!! LOL
    The waiting is the hardest part
    Every day you get one more yard
    You take it on faith, you take it to the heart
    ~Tom Petty

Re: Pins are addictive

LOL - 100 pins???

I'd say keep 30 of them - you'll still have 60 to trade!

Even if you trade 10 a day, you'll have 6 days worth - and no time left to go on any of the rides!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

I agree keep what you want, but with that many you may forget and trade for it.....
    Ed
    -----------------------------------
    92 MK 1 day trip
    Dec 29th 06 - Jan 3 2007 Riverside
    DLRP Mar 2009
    WDW May 23 2010 to May 28 2010
    DL Day Trip Oct 2016
    WDW Dec 2017

Oh I don't do the trading, my 8 and 5 year old kids do. So the 100 has to be split between them, 50 each. 10 day trip. So that's only 5 pins a day for each of them to trade.

I may put a couple on a lanyard for me in case I see a great Evil Queen or Maleficent pin to trade for. My kids absolutely refuse to trade for them
    ~Tom Petty

That is funny!! Alot of pins to trade in a day. We have about 1-2 pins a day. Half of the fun is the search for just "the right one". We usually trade the ones we just traded. We also want to keep some of the pins we buy off of ebay but rarely do. We take them all and decide when we get there. We personally enjoy getting the "new" pins because each one has a memory associated with it. All of us in our family can tell you where we got each pin, and we have ALOT of pins! We probably buy 2 new ones each trip. Same idea, each new pin is for something special we did...example, when my daughter rode space mountain for the first time, she got a space mountain pin. Occassionally you will find an area where they are trading 2 pins for every hidden Mickey that you have. So save those in case you come accross that deal. Maybe you should save half of them for another trip---it is a great reason to go back!!

It would be interesting to know what everyone does with their pins. For the first few years we each had one on our winter coats/jackets and the rest put away in a drawer. It seemed like such a shame to keep them out of sight (out of mind). Now we each have our own large shadow box hanging in the hallway. We have a few Disney pictures in each box and they are surrounded by all of our pins. We look at them all the time that way. I don't feel like we are wasting our money on them when we really enjoy looking at them. The big kids (me and my husband) like them as much or more than the younger kids. What do you do with yours?

To display our pins I took a wooden dowel and hot-glued a large piece of felt to it. Then I took picture hanging wire and attached it to both ends of the dowel to hang it from. We put all of our pins on to the felt and have it hanging in my daughters room all the time.

It's like a piece of art hanging on the wall. We see the pins every day and talk about them quite a bit. Remember when we got this one or that one. Her collection is about 60 pins and she does remember trading for each of them. It's really neat!

My younger daughter didn't do much trading on our last trip as she was only 3 but I'm prepared that she will want to trade for every Tink pin she sees and she'll want to be trading just like her big sister! I'll have to make another display to hang her pins in her room!!!
    ~Tom Petty

Oh wow, 100 pins, I agree if you really like them, well then keep them. I have less than 20 pins myself and have never ventured into the trading sphere.

Right now I still have them on thier original packaging and sitting in a paper Disney bowl gotten from mousekeeping, sitting on top of my dresser. I have thought about getting a rather large shadowbox type of frame and putting them in it, with room to add new ones from future Disney trips. I like the felt idea too.
    Have a Mickey Mouse Day!, Dot

July 83 - Off site Camping; July 2000 - AS Movies; Dec 07 - AS Music; Sep/Oct 09 - Pop Century; May/June 2011 - POFQ; May 2015 Pop Century

Felt is a great idea! I'm looking for possible new ways to display them. We have the largest shadow box I can find and they are quickly getting full. We need something different or more shadow boxes.

Okay...getting off subject and venting. We are leaving for Disney in the morning (YEAH) and I should be packing now. I had my all time favorite leather sandles (and expensive I might add) out to put in the suitcase and our Great Dane chewed them to shreds! She has never done anything like that before and waits until it is time to leave and no time to replace them! I had to get away from her or hurt her....so here I am! AAGGGHHHH......she is probably mad that we are leaving her.

We have a white Boxer that we got from rescue and anytime there is commotion of moving things in the house he panics, just getting the boxes in and out for holiday decorations or me placing a suitcase in his vision will cause him to panic. Like a kid we explain things are ok, but he still panics and we have had him for over 10 yrs now. So I am sure the poor thing was not comfy with your leaving preparations.

In our dogs case, he was abandoned and I am sure he has memories of that abandonment and that is what sets his panic, on the other hand we have a Boston Terrier and she could care if we come or go, just as long as she has food, water and gets let out! Silly dog!

July 83 - Off site Camping; July 2000 - AS Movies; Dec 07 - AS Music; Sep/Oct 09 - Pop Century; May/June 2011 - POFQ; May 2015 Pop Century

Quote Originally Posted by Dismom View Post
    I have thought about getting a rather large shadowbox type of frame and putting them in it, with room to add new ones from future Disney trips.
    I have a shadowbox, but couldn't figure out a good way to get them in there so they could be removed without too much problem.

I buy at least one pin at every trip, but I've never traded. Mostly Alice-related. I have several Evil Queens. A few pouting, sultry, or angry Tinks. I like to put one on my bag each day when I go to the parks.

Right now they're all attached to a lanyard I got during YOMD.

So how does trading work? If you see a pin on a CM that you want do they HAVE to trade? Like if I saw a rare Alice pin, do I have to trade a pin of equal rareness? And is it weird for an adult to go up to a CM and say, "I want that pin?" LOL
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

OK, since I have never traded, but read up some on it, I beleive they have to trade and since many adults do pin trading, it is not odd to the CM,s. One thing that sticks in my mind is that there is a slightly different rule about trading with children, something in the children favor I believe. And a biggy, never touch the pin while it is on a person, just ask to see it.

I do wish I could remember what the slight rule difference is with kids, but I am sure someone here will help and remind me what I have or have not twisted in my mind about the trading rules.

Oh dear, I guess I will just have to pull out the pin trading rules once again, a mind is a terrible thing to LOSE!

Quote Originally Posted by Dismom View Post
    OK, since I have never traded, but read up some on it, I beleive they have to trade and since many adults do pin trading, it is not odd to the CM,s. One thing that sticks in my mind is that there is a slightly different rule about trading with children, something in the children favor I believe. And a biggy, never touch the pin while it is on a person, just ask to see it.

I do wish I could remember what the slight rule difference is with kids, but I am sure someone here will help and remind me what I have or have not twisted in my mind about the trading rules.

Oh dear, I guess I will just have to pull out the pin trading rules once again, a mind is a terrible thing to LOSE!
    Here are the rules for pin trading:
    *Guests can trade up to 2 pins per CM
    *The pins have to be official Disney pins (with the Disney logo on the pin)
    *If the CM has the pin on their lanyard, they technically do not have to trade (they are supposed to have 12 different pins on the lanyard)
    *CMs with green lanyards only trade with kids 12 and under (CMs with black/blue lanyards trade with all guests)

One note- please do not grab the CM's lanyard. If you want a closer look, ask the CM. Thanks!
    Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012,Fantasy: 20-27, 2012, Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013,Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014,Dream: Sept 14-18, 2015
    TD Moderator

Do the CMs ever have hard-to-find or rare pins that they are willing to trade? I mean, is that the main point of trading...to find something you can't buy anywhere?
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

^I would say yes they do have hard-to-find or rare pins sometimes (we have found some that we considered hard to find on CM lanyards) but I think it really depends on what they are given in trade.

I don't know where they get the 12 pins they start trading with each day, whether its what's left from the previous day or if they turn in the starter set pins since no one really wants those IMO. It'd be interesting to hear how it works on the CM end of it.
    ~Tom Petty

Joanna....Thanks for the rules list, yep brought back the memories of having read the same. The rules make perfect sense to me. Daughter and I have thought about getting into the trading, but we love the ones we have and no longer have a Disney store in our area, soooo not to likely since I have never bought on e-bay and am uncomfortable with it now even more since my brother was ripped off when he purchased my Christmas gift, now that is a guilt trip!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast