Pins are addictive - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Pins are addictive

Quote Originally Posted by Curious Alice View Post
    Do the CMs ever have hard-to-find or rare pins that they are willing to trade? I mean, is that the main point of trading...to find something you can't buy anywhere?
    Yes. CMs sometimes will have pins on their lanyards, that can not be bought in stores (they usually are called Hidden Mickey pins, since they have a little Mickey in the corner of the pin). There are whole sets of Hidden Mickey pins (they can go really fast though). But most of their pins are pins that guests buy.

Quote Originally Posted by princess_aurora View Post
    I don't know where they get the 12 pins they start trading with each day, whether its what's left from the previous day or if they turn in the starter set pins since no one really wants those IMO. It'd be interesting to hear how it works on the CM end of it.
    The pins on the lanyard are pins that were there from the previous day. It is possible for the CM to "refresh" the pins on their lanyard.
    Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012,Fantasy: 20-27, 2012, Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013,Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014,Dream: Sept 14-18, 2015
    TD Moderator

I am a pin addict so I say keep the ones you like and trade the rest. 65 to 70 pins should be plenty to trade with.
    The Magic Is In Us All

Family Vacation With My Sisters, Their Spouses, And Some Of Our Kids. November3-18 2013.

Pretty sure a cast member can't refuse to trade a pin on their landyard with you. I wonder if they can trade their own pin at the end of their shift.

It is understandable that you are nervous about buying things on ebay. It is pretty rare that you get ripped off. I know it happens but make sure they have alot of feedback. We have purchased alot of things on ebay and so far have never had a big problem. We only have small transactions understanding that there is a possibility of being ripped off. Once you find a good pin seller, continue to use that one. They also sell sets at Disney that are specifically for trading. We are the same way, once we buy a pin, we don't want to trade it. We did once this time because we forgot our trading pins and the CM had a rare one that we wanted. We traded one of our new, cheaper pins and then replaced it before we left.

Dismom---so sad that your boxer still gets upset. We have a boxer also, she is spoiled rotten. She had a great time with the house/pet sitter!! Our Great Dane we did rescue, she had been abused. We were her 3rd home in less than a year and this is the first time we have left her. She chewed up alot of stuff while we were gone, including a chunk off our mattress and the nightstand. The sitter had to buy a cage for her while we were gone. She actually seems to like it (her own space). We have always crated our boxers. We've had several danes and have never had behavior problems with them and we really didn't want to have to store a cage that large. She seems very happy here, I honestly think that as she has become more comfortable here she has relaxed enough to chew things up. Sounds silly but the first few months, she never touched things, it was like she was afraid too. Now she seems so dang happy chewing everything up. I had to take ALOT of deep breaths when I got home!!

Quote Originally Posted by mscott4 View Post
    Pretty sure a cast member can't refuse to trade a pin on their landyard with you. I wonder if they can trade their own pin at the end of their shift.
    Yes, CMs can refuse to trade if the pin isn't an official Disney pin (and I'm pretty sure they can if they have the pin already. They are supposed to have 9 or 12 different pins on the lanyard).
    Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012,Fantasy: 20-27, 2012, Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013,Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014,Dream: Sept 14-18, 2015
    TD Moderator

okay--let me clarify, if you follow the rules, they will trade what is on their landyard with you.

mscott, our boxer did chew once within the first month we got him, then that was it he has not done it again. Both our dogs are getting old now and just want to be around people in their old age. We have my brother come and doggie sit when we go away overnight and they are just fine with it.

For chewing, there is a substance called Dog Bitters or Bitter apple, it is not poisonious but made to discourage dogs from chewing areas, we do have to spray it on certain areas as our Boston likes to chew the plaster off the wall once or twice a year (seems to be during the time of year all female dogs have except she was fixed years and years ago).

About the pins, I talked to my other brother and he tells me he will help me get a good package deal on E-bay so that we will have some to trade on our next visit. Hope it all works out! He does E-bay all the time and is comfy with it all.
    Have a Mickey Mouse Day!, Dot

July 83 - Off site Camping; July 2000 - AS Movies; Dec 07 - AS Music; Sep/Oct 09 - Pop Century; May/June 2011 - POFQ; May 2015 Pop Century

WOW! how much did these pins cost you?
    anyways keep what you want trade what you want

I collect Stitch and I bought about 30 of them to trade but come to find out I kept around 5 of them so any one that you want keep. And plus you might want to buy some down there.
    “If you can dream it, you can do it.” Walt Disney

I never got into the pin trading because ... well, I'm not sure ... I'm still a slight newbie at the whole WDW thing.. Haha! A cast member gave my little one a Goofy pin last year without even trading. I may get into this but sheesh, I could see myself going crazyyy... I would definitely want all the POTC ones!
    ~ Yo Ho! Yo Ho! A pirate's life for me! ~

My daughter did the college program in 2003...she worked under the "hat" at DHS (MGM then) part of the time there...the lanyards are made up by managers and you pick one up to wear that day...I don't know if they have a group of pins to choose from...but she would have different lanyards different days, you take it off and leave it "backstage" when your shift is over...may not still work that way. Also, she said that CM are to always supposed to try to come up with a trade with children but they don't have trade with adults...they can but don't have to make a trade with the adults...they want kids experience to be magical...I know adults want to have magical experience too, but they understand more...there are some rules about two piece pins and moving parts on the pins...and what you can trade for them...two for one kind of thing...and they are correct they will not trade for a pin on their lanyard...and they are to be Disney pins...but we have done the 100 pins and they are good to trade ...

Your kids will probably do fine if you keep 1/3 of them...we divided ours between 5 people and we all kept some of ours but traded the others...it was great and a lot of fun

We do the shadow boxes too...we have them grouped in different boxes...Mickey pins in one, Princess pins in one, etc...we have about 5 shadowboxes with pins in them and hang in our Disney room...(scrapbook room/guest room...most people think it is fun to stay in it LOL) When we go back to WDW we can take then out and put back on lanyards if we trade some of them we just put new ones in the shadow boxes.

Pin trading is fun...our son has his lanyard ready for our October trip already.
    quinsippi5
    1983 first trip, 1987, 1994, 2001 (with our kids BAND--MK) 2002 (son in CP) 2003 (daughter in CP-3 trips to FL) 2004 (family trip) 2005 (watch our HS band march in MK again!) 2006 (12 of us went--fun fun fun) FW...cabins, 2009 (3 trips) POP, CBR, 2010 POP

all I ever bought was the DLR AP pins for the 50th celebration.
    Fr Corey†

The girls went through all of their pins last night and only were willing to part with about 20 of them to trade on our next trip in November. Idk if I should buy some more or not. They love to trade so I know 20 won't be enough for the 2 of them for a 6 day trip. Maybe I'll get some without them knowing and new trading pins will magically appear on their lanyard each morning....
    The waiting is the hardest part
    Every day you get one more yard
    You take it on faith, you take it to the heart
    The waiting is the hardest part
    ~Tom Petty

Quote Originally Posted by princess_aurora
    The girls went through all of their pins last night and only were willing to part with about 20 of them to trade on our next trip in November. Idk if I should buy some more or not. They love to trade so I know 20 won't be enough for the 2 of them for a 6 day trip. Maybe I'll get some without them knowing and new trading pins will magically appear on their lanyard each morning....
    I've never heard of pin trading, but what a fun and engaging idea! Off too google it now.
    Sounds like you all have a blast with it!
    -Rebecca
    EDIT: they are gorgeous and spendy. Seems Disney did not start the trading until oct. 1999-we were there in May '99 for our honeymoon. I can see my 9 year old dd and myself collecting these pretty things.
    Last edited by Green Fairy; 11-17-2010 at 12:32 PM.
    ~Fairy wishes & sparkling dreams Rebecca
    "If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." ~Albert Einstein

"If you can DREAM it, you can DO it." ~Walt Disney

• Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 • Boardwalk Autumn 2013 •

I know what you mean. I took 40 pins with me to Disney last year and when I got there I could not find it in me to trade any. Well, I did trade one. A little girl with a Physical disability saw my lanyard and wanted to look. She saw my chipmunks pin and asked if I would trade her for it. Of course, I had to say yes. I still have all the pins on my lanyard hanging in our Memorabilia room. I am going back to Disney in just over 2 weeks and I am trying to decide if I want to carry my pins. I might take them and just trade with children if they ask me.
    Kimberly Moore

I'll bet you made her day! Yes, I think trading them with kids would be fun. Or a great way for kids to meet each other- like the friendship Bracelets we would make and trade when I was a kid. Have a great trip!!! Where are you staying? Do you have a favorite resort?
    -Rebecca
    ~Fairy wishes & sparkling dreams Rebecca
    "If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." ~Albert Einstein

"If you can DREAM it, you can DO it." ~Walt Disney

• Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 • Boardwalk Autumn 2013 •

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast