How I Pay for My Disney Habit - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Save?

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Dreamer View Post
    I get paid weekly, so what I like to do is start planning 6 months before. and put 100$ week a way into savings.
    I do something very similar...I put a portion of each check into a "Disney Fund" account. Then, when the final pay date comes close, I move what I need over to an account I can charge it to. Anything left over is the emergency fund / spending kitty / starter fund for the next trip!
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Uni Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLR | Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ
    2015 - 2 in DC, 3 @ Uni Portofino, 3 @ AKL, DCL Fantasy, 4 @ AoA

What i like to do is finger out how much my trip with my plane tickets and finger out how much i can save each day and then when i get home or get done shopping I put money/ change in a jar and save up then if i still have to pay for something i can us my card.
    -Coach Alec S

My bank has a program in which they automatically transfer $1 from my checking account to a special savings account every time I use the debit card. But since I don't always use the debit card, I do my own transfers. When I use a credit card, I count up how many times I used it when I get the bill each month and transfer $1 for each time to the special savings account. I only use that money for Disney trips. Right now I have nearly $700 in the account!

(Other than that money, I use credit cards on the trip.)
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

I get tips from one of my jobs, so that automatically goes into a piggy bank for my Disney trip. Other than that I take about $100 a month a reload my Disney gift card.

I direct deposit into an account set aside that I can only withdraw from at da bank for our spending money (removes any temptation). As for paying for da trip, after paying monthly expenses anything left went to that.

Quote Originally Posted by candygirl83 View Post
    How do you save for your Disney trip?
    I've merged these threads as they are discussing the same topic.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Re: How I Pay for My Disney Habit

we save loose change. it really is amazing how quickly that adds up. so between that and our tax return, we should be able to swing it.
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, The Disney Life for Me!
    The Montagna Family

D.V.C. members: home - Saratoga Springs

I am reviving a dead thread

I don't save to go because I would be better off investing it. I do however save up the loose changes in my pocket that i put in a coin sorter that i have. Reason for that is because I hate carrying coins. I usually end up having $50+ worth of change.

I will be using my disney visa card to get the promotion of 0% for 6 months.

For the poster about the bank that does the $1. Is it WellsFargo? I just opened up that bank about a few months ago and that is somewhat convenient and I think I will be making some use of that as well.

Recently, I put my money in a stock and just about 3 months I made $45 using $1000 to play with stocks. $45 after fees. So that's a bit % gain.

sorry to sound like lecture, just saying you're better off investing it than saving it. Just remember inflation is always happening.
    Trying to make it big in the Real Estate world so I can spend more time in Disney World!

November - December 2012 AS-Music
    November 2013 AS-Music

Well yeah stocks are usually not a good short term investment so I would not generally tell everybody to go into stocks to save for Disney because you can also lose investing short term. I don't care if I don't get good returns on my savings for Disney, it's better than forking over 15 % for the credit card debt any day of the week.

- Empty water jug eats all our change and will get emptied before Disney. I counted it last week right now there are about 100 $ in there.

- I do most of the shopping and do coupons and sales mainly for groceries. At the end of the receipt it tells me how much I saved. Next shopping, i try to take that out in cash back, rounded up to the next 5. That way I get savings out of our joint checking account (my husband is not the best saver - if money is there, it'll be spent).

- my own paycheck goes into an extra account and I save every month 50 automatically into savings, and usually throw everything over 1000 in the checking account at the end of the month into savings as well.

- I buy discounted gift cards from websites (there was a disney giftcard with over 1000 $ on it available but I shied away from that - but it was 5 % off. Would be a good deal for somebody) and pay restaurants, drug stores and general shops where we buy regularly with those. The money saved goes to savings.

- I use the Disney Visa card to pay most of our running bills and groceries when I don't need cash back and pay the money straight from the checking account into the credit account. That way I accumulate Disney Dollars (right now 50 $).
    I think we just finished paying off our honeymoon that we put mainly on my husbands visa at the time (which I didn't know), and that cost us over the four years about 1000 $ in interest so I had to teach my husband to stay away from credit cards for luxury purchases, even if they have just 9.9 % interest.
    Last edited by Sunray4life; 08-08-2013 at 04:24 PM.
    09/02/2014 5th anniversary Disney trip "The Beauty and the beast, Sonja&Tommy"
    October 2009 honeymoon PO

Quote Originally Posted by rocknspots View Post
    Don't know if anyone can use my method but I save $5 bills. I never spend them. I also take every bundle of 10 $1 bills out of my wallet and put them in my stash. I have envelopes labelled with whatever special Disney trips I'm planning. I NEVER touch that money. I save quarters and that can be used for whatever comes along... a new collectible, last minute DLR trip,... whatever. I've been doing this for years. I don't miss this money at all and it keeps my purse weighing less... In these hard economic times I find this type of saving even more advantageous. It takes a little discipline but it works! And my Disney habit doesn't suffer too much.
    I do save change, but I'm totally going to do the $5 thing.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkDisney

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray4life View Post
    Well yeah stocks are usually not a good short term investment so I would not generally tell everybody to go into stocks to save for Disney because you can also lose investing short term. I don't care if I don't get good returns on my savings for Disney, it's better than forking over 15 % for the credit card debt any day of the week.

- Empty water jug eats all our change and will get emptied before Disney. I counted it last week right now there are about 100 $ in there.

- I do most of the shopping and do coupons and sales mainly for groceries. At the end of the receipt it tells me how much I saved. Next shopping, i try to take that out in cash back, rounded up to the next 5. That way I get savings out of our joint checking account (my husband is not the best saver - if money is there, it'll be spent).

- my own paycheck goes into an extra account and I save every month 50 automatically into savings, and usually throw everything over 1000 in the checking account at the end of the month into savings as well.

- I buy discounted gift cards from websites (there was a disney giftcard with over 1000 $ on it available but I shied away from that - but it was 5 % off. Would be a good deal for somebody) and pay restaurants, drug stores and general shops where we buy regularly with those. The money saved goes to savings.

- I use the Disney Visa card to pay most of our running bills and groceries when I don't need cash back and pay the money straight from the checking account into the credit account. That way I accumulate Disney Dollars (right now 50 $).
    I think we just finished paying off our honeymoon that we put mainly on my husbands visa at the time (which I didn't know), and that cost us over the four years about 1000 $ in interest so I had to teach my husband to stay away from credit cards for luxury purchases, even if they have just 9.9 % interest.
    Great post! We do a lot of those things as well. One other thing I did recently was get the Southwest Rapid Rewards Visa. They give you so many bonus miles as a promotion if you spend their requirement within 3 months. We only had to pay the $5 per person fee for our upcoming trip!
    Couldn't imagine life without WDW!
    Last Trip: Oct 2015
    Upcoming: Feb 2016
    Treehouses(2) Vaca. Villas(2) Poly(1) Contemporary(1) CSR(1) CBR(4) POR(1) Sports(4) OKW(1) SSR(2) AKL(1)
    **Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally, Golly, what a day!**

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    One other thing I did recently was get the Southwest Rapid Rewards Visa. They give you so many bonus miles as a promotion if you spend their requirement within 3 months. We only had to pay the $5 per person fee for our upcoming trip!
    I just signed up for this one a couple of days ago and plan on getting the 50.000 bonus points as well. Though we will most likely drive down to Florida from Virginia it seems the cheapest option. (Especially if we use the reward points from our checking account that we can get shell and exxon gas gift cards for which will cut the gascosts out of pocket).
    Last edited by Sunray4life; 08-08-2013 at 05:41 PM.
    09/02/2014 5th anniversary Disney trip "The Beauty and the beast, Sonja&Tommy"
    October 2009 honeymoon PO

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray4life View Post
    I just signed up for this one a couple of days ago and plan on getting the 50.000 bonus points as well. Though we will most likely drive down to Florida from Virginia it seems the cheapest option.
    Another good one is the Chase Sapphire Visa. They partner with Southwest, so you can transfer your points over for an even greater savings.
    Couldn't imagine life without WDW!
    Last Trip: Oct 2015
    Upcoming: Feb 2016
    Treehouses(2) Vaca. Villas(2) Poly(1) Contemporary(1) CSR(1) CBR(4) POR(1) Sports(4) OKW(1) SSR(2) AKL(1)
    **Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally, Golly, what a day!**

Well I'm not telling ppl to do stocks I was just giving my own example on investing.

I can't do southwest too many transferring.. there isn't a direct flight from NYC.

I think the savings on the receipts is nice idea, but not sure if I can do that

Sent from my S3 using TalkDisney
    Trying to make it big in the Real Estate world so I can spend more time in Disney World!

November - December 2012 AS-Music
    November 2013 AS-Music

Quote Originally Posted by simonsayz View Post
    I am reviving a dead thread

I don't save to go because I would be better off investing it. I do however save up the loose changes in my pocket that i put in a coin sorter that i have. Reason for that is because I hate carrying coins. I usually end up having $50+ worth of change.

I will be using my disney visa card to get the promotion of 0% for 6 months.

For the poster about the bank that does the $1. Is it WellsFargo? I just opened up that bank about a few months ago and that is somewhat convenient and I think I will be making some use of that as well.

Recently, I put my money in a stock and just about 3 months I made $45 using $1000 to play with stocks. $45 after fees. So that's a bit % gain.

sorry to sound like lecture, just saying you're better off investing it than saving it. Just remember inflation is always happening.
    Yes it's Wells Fargo, $1 for every time you swipe your debit card.
    Kristin
    Wife to Jeffrey
    Mom to Jay & Jack

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast