Autistic Children in the Parks - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks so much for this thread! My son was just diagnosed in oct and were planning a trip in aug and this really helps!!!

Re: Autistic Children in the Parks

Great thread, thank you all. Our son was diagnosed 2 years ago and turned 5 last month. We always told him and his twin sister that once they turn
    ed 5 we were headed to Disney. Well, our trip is in two weeks and reading about the GAC in here and on other forums has really put a lot of my fears to rest. The crowds and very loud noise or music overload him pretty quickly. We travel with noise reduction ear muffs for him to reduce that stimulus and a reduction in crowds would eliminate the other major stressor. I am now looking forward to this trip almost as much as my twins!

Quote Originally Posted by saintduiex
    Great thread, thank you all. Our son was diagnosed 2 years ago and turned 5 last month. We always told him and his twin sister that once they turn
    ed 5 we were headed to Disney. Well, our trip is in two weeks and reading about the GAC in here and on other forums has really put a lot of my fears to rest. The crowds and very loud noise or music overload him pretty quickly. We travel with noise reduction ear muffs for him to reduce that stimulus and a reduction in crowds would eliminate the other major stressor. I am now looking forward to this trip almost as much as my twins!
    Hello and Welcome to td! I hope you have a truly magical trip!

Autistic daughter

Hi my 8 yr old is autistic to the point she can be very difficult with small things to us but to her they are huge and we are taking her to wdw next June any tips would be appreciated 😕
    I love disney

Disney is very accommodating to special needs. Im not sure about WDW, but in Disneyland they have always been good to us. We have 6 children with special needs, including life threatening food allergies. I cannot say enough about how helpful cast members can be I would suggest calling ahead of time with your concerns. Have a wonderful time!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Incredible
    Hi my 8 yr old is autistic to the point she can be very difficult with small things to us but to her they are huge and we are taking her to wdw next June any tips would be appreciated dde15
    There are a couple of threads on here where people discuss their experiences when bringing children with autism. Use the Talk Disney search feature- keyword "autism"- and you will bring up a couple of threads which may be helpful to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Incredible View Post
    Hi my 8 yr old is autistic to the point she can be very difficult with small things to us but to her they are huge and we are taking her to wdw next June any tips would be appreciated dde15
    Quote Originally Posted by i heart disney3 View Post
    There are a couple of threads on here where people discuss their experiences when bringing children with autism. Use the Talk Disney search feature- keyword "autism"- and you will bring up a couple of threads which may be helpful to you.
    i heart disney3 is right. As we already have a thread discussing children with autism, I've merged these threads together.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

I have Asperger's syndrome I went to Disney world in 2012. I didn't know about this I wish I had with the loud noises etc.

Re: Autistic Children in the Parks

Our son was 15 on our last trip and he has Aspergers syndrome, ADHD and ODD and often has melt downs. We got a GAC card but he wouldn't let us use it as he doesn't like to feel he's different. This resulted in us walking out of queues many times and then we just used the fast passes as well as we could. On our next trip he will be 18 and I am hoping he will use it this time, even just for himself, to make things less stressful for him.
    Last edited by tiney tears; 06-02-2016 at 01:14 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123