Where is Your Home Away from Home??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mickey Where is Your Home Away from Home??

My family and I have been DVC members since 2001. Our Home Resort is Old Key West, but we have never stayed there (this was the only resort available at the time). We love exploring the different DVC resorts.

DVC Members:

What is your home resort?
    Have you stayed there; what did you think (like or not)?

Non DVC Members:

What resort would you buy into and why??

Here is a list of all DVC resorts at Walt Disney World:

Disney's Beach Club Villas

Disney's BoardWalk Villas

Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa

The Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge

Disney's Old Key West Resort

Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort

Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas Jambo House & Kidani Village

2015-Beach Club, 2013-Old Key West & Vero Beach, 2011- Animal Kingdom Lodge-Kidani Village, 2009- Boardwalk, 2007- Saratoga Springs, 2006- Hilton Head, 2006- School Trip, 2004- Wilderness Lodge & Ft. Wilderness, 2003-Disneyland, 2001- Boardwalk, 2001- Vero Beach, 2000-Dixie Landings (Join DVC) 2000- Vero Beach, 1997- Dixie Landings

Re: Where is Your Home Away from Home??

Great question!

We've looked into DVC but just couldn't justify the initial outlay, particularly when you take into account transatlantic flights, car rental and park tickets (Universal and Sea World as well as Disney).

Having said that, I've always thought about Old Key West - just because it seems as close in style to POR as you can get with the DVC resorts and is on the river system for DTD so I can still enjoy the boat ride.

The only thing that puts me off is it's age. I worried that it might seem a little dated when compared to some of the newer DVC resorts.

I'd considered Saratoga Springs for the same reason (the boat) but it just seems a little less impersonal.

I would consider any of the resorts around the Boardwalk area though - just because they are great for access to both Epcot (my favorite park) and DHS (my second favorite) and have access to their own boats.

What I'd really, really love to do though is get enough points for any of the grand Villas. We've often thought about staying in a villa outside of WDW, just for the space, but we love staying on WDW property too much.

A grand villa in WDW would be perfect - if a little pricey!!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

The DVC is so worth the money. We not only use our points at WDW and WDL, we also use them around the world!!!! DVC members also receive discounts on admission to the parks, dinning, and recreation at WDW and WDL. We do not fly, we just get in the car and take n old fashion road trip (in your case you would have to fly). When you arrive at the airport, there is no need for a rental car, just have the Magical Express come pick you up!!

I have stayed in the Grand Villas at Saratoga Springs. They are HUGE!!!

Saratoga Springs is very big and I felt that I was living more in an apartment complex than a resort (maybe it was because of the HUGE Villa). I have to say that the villas we toured and the one we stayed in where very very nice. I just did not like the set up of the resort. We had to drive to the front desk (or walk a long way).

Old Key West and Boardwalk Villas have been updated recently (it was under construction in 2009), so the outdistance you are speaking of is going away.

If you like the boats, you could stay at Wilderness Lodge. It has it's own beach and you have to ride a boat to Magic Kingdom.

2015-Beach Club, 2013-Old Key West & Vero Beach, 2011- Animal Kingdom Lodge-Kidani Village, 2009- Boardwalk, 2007- Saratoga Springs, 2006- Hilton Head, 2006- School Trip, 2004- Wilderness Lodge & Ft. Wilderness, 2003-Disneyland, 2001- Boardwalk, 2001- Vero Beach, 2000-Dixie Landings (Join DVC) 2000- Vero Beach, 1997- Dixie Landings

We just bought into DVC 2 summers ago. Our home is Bay Lake, but we were not able to stay there last year, so we stayed at the AKL. This summer we will be staying at Bay Lake. I have to say that last year, with the DVC, we saved $6000.00!!!! I am so excited about DVC, and want to add to our points as soon as we can.
    Our choices to buy into were Bay Lake and Animal Kingdom, we chose BLT because the maintence fees were less, and more steady as the AKL would go up faster because of the animal care there.

We own at SSR,love theming and the close proximity to DTD. We mainly stay at OKW due to the size of the accommodation. So far we have stayed: SSR, AKV, OKW, Vero.. This year we plan to stay at OKW, Treehouse Villa's and Hilton Head island.
    2008-DVC - OKW, Animal Kingdom &SSR
    OKW-VERO-AKV- 2009
    SSR-HHI-VERO 2011

[B]

Ooooh yes - I was forgetting the Treehouse Villas. They look fantastic!

I've wanted to stay in one of them ever since the original ones were built that the students trashed!!

I'd love one right on the river so I could just sit and watch the boats come and go.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Quote Originally Posted by Winkster
    Ooooh yes - I was forgetting the Treehouse Villas. They look fantastic!

I've wanted to stay in one of them ever since the original ones were built that the students trashed!!

I'd love one right on the river so I could just sit and watch the boats come and go.
    Yeah my son & I saw the building when we hired a boat from OKW and I really wanted to stay there ever since....so really looking forward to this visit, we try to get to other area's of USA apart from Orlando, so far Boco, Ft Lauderdale, Vero Beach, Clearwater, Tampa. so we are all looking forward to this visit.

So if anyone can recommend places around Hilton Head Island to visit and eat that would be great.

Paul
    Last edited by Paulrae; 01-13-2011 at 11:34 AM.
    2008-DVC - OKW, Animal Kingdom &SSR
    OKW-VERO-AKV- 2009
    SSR-HHI-VERO 2011

[B]

We own at BLT- had a wonderful 2B this past Dec w/ lake and castle view. I also liked staying at BCV. Loved the pool, restaurants and being close to Epcot. We are hoping on staying at VWL in Sept. Our ultimate goal is a GV at BLT in 2012.

9. Re: Where is Your Home Away from Home??

I am a Florida seasonal pass holder. We Been going up from Miami fl 2003 3-5 times a year and I would choose Saratoga springs. I stayed there once it was beautiful but our home resort is usually pop or sports lol

Our home resort is Saratoga Springs and we love it there. We have only been twice (both times in Grandstand) and it was amazing. Its so peaceful and we were lucky enough to be backing onto the golf course which was ideal for both my husband and son, as they both play.

We might try OKW next time though.

Our home resort is Bay Lake Tower. We stayed there January 2010. We had a lake view that was beautiful. We went to the member lounge and watched Wishes. We are going back this September for 6 nights. We have also stayed in a savanna view 1-bedroom at Kidani village, a stard view studio at Boardwalk and a 2-bedroom at Old Key West. We haven't been disappointed yet at any resort. We love our DVC and cant wait to add more points in the future!
    2006 & 2008 Fort Wilderness
    2009 bought into the DVC and Kidani Village
    2010 4 night Disney cruise on the Wonder and BLT
    2011 Old Key West and Boardwalk Villas
    2011 Bay Lake Tower
    2012 Kidani Village, Vero Beach, Saratoga Springs, and Jambo House

Mickey Re: Where is Your Home Away from Home??

Quote Originally Posted by WeDVC2009 View Post
    Our home resort is Bay Lake Tower. We stayed there January 2010. We had a lake view that was beautiful. We went to the member lounge and watched Wishes. We are going back this September for 6 nights. We have also stayed in a savanna view 1-bedroom at Kidani village, a stard view studio at Boardwalk and a 2-bedroom at Old Key West. We haven't been disappointed yet at any resort. We love our DVC and cant wait to add more points in the future!
    We are staying in a 2 bedroom Savannah View at Kidani this summer.

We have stayed at the Boardwalk, Wilderness Lodge, Fort Wilderness (Not a DVC resort, but it was only for one night), Saratoga Springs.

OWN home is Old Key West, but we have never stayed there.

We hope to stay at Beach Club and Bay Lake Tower in the future (if we could ever get a room).

We did get 1B at VWL for Sept which we will follow by the Member's Cruise. So excited!

Home resort is BLT and just joined in October. DYING to stay there in October!!!

Old Key West is our home away from home . Been staying there for many years. My family goes every Thanksgiving and we love it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast