Where is Your Home Away from Home?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Where is Your Home Away from Home??

Our home resort is SSR and we have never stayed there. but we love old key west!
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, But by the moments that take our breaths away!

If you can dream it, You can do it!

How does the DVC work? How much does it cost up front and what are the yearly fees?

Sent from my iPhone using TalkDisney
    -HannahLeigh

Quote Originally Posted by HannahLeigh
    How does the DVC work? How much does it cost up front and what are the yearly fees?

My parents are in DVC, you buy in by points. $ per point, 160 minimum to start (last I heard it was still the min) If you know someone that is still a cast member you can get a discount. Your dues all depend on your home resort, OKW being the lowest as of right now and I believe Aulani being highest.

Our home resort is Saratoga springs. Haven't used it yet but doing so in may. We just bought DVC in June 2011, our min points to buy was 125.

We are deeded in Vero Beach. We stayed there for 4 days then drove to WDW for 7 days. Vero beach was nice and relaxing. We have also stayed at OKW (it's has the biggest rooms), SSR, and just recently AK Kidani Village, which was fab! Next I would love to stay at the Tree House Villas or Beach club.

We just became members of dvc. Our home resort is Animal Kingdom. We stayed there once but it was while the dvc villas were being built. We could see the construction from our room. We are using our points for the first time in June!!
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    ~ Walt Disney

I often wonder if we shouldn't buy a DVC membership but, when I crunch the numbers, it just doesn't make sense for us....maybe once I retire. Anyway, if we were to buy a membership, I'm sure it would be to AKL. We stayed there in 2008. It was my husband's first time and he has told me that it will always be his favorite.
    Fort Wilderness 1972, 1981, 1985, 1987 (cabins), 1992, 1996
    Caribbean Beach Resort 1991
    Animal Kingdom Lodge 2008
    May 2013 - resort not yet chosen

We bought into ssr with a min of 125 points at $99 a point not sure what rates r this year after that first buy on u can buy 10 extra points a year of that's what u want to do and yes monthly or yearly maintance fees depending on how u want to pay we feel like we got a great investment for our kids us grand kids and great grand kids not that we have any yet buy what a great legacy to leave them after we r gone they can still go and enjoy it for years to come

Also u can buy into whatever resort for home resort u want and stay at ak every visit if that's what u choose the rates for ak are higher then say ssr so cheaper to buy points there then stay at the resort of ur choice
    Last edited by Disneymommyx2; 03-06-2012 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, But by the moments that take our breaths away!

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymommyx2
    We bought into ssr with a min of 125 points at $99 a point not sure what rates r this year after that first buy on u can buy 10 extra points a year of that's what u want to do and yes monthly or yearly maintance fees depending on how u want to pay we feel like we got a great investment for our kids us grand kids and great grand kids not that we have any yet buy what a great legacy to leave them after we r gone they can still go and enjoy it for years to come

Also u can buy into whatever resort for home resort u want and stay at ak every visit if that's what u choose the rates for ak are higher then say ssr so cheaper to buy points there then stay at the resort of ur choice
    Thanks for explaining this a little more in depth. I was kinda still confused.

-HannahLeigh

No Problem hannah if you still have questions please just ask any of us DVC members can explain it to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymommyx2
    No Problem hannah if you still have questions please just ask any of us DVC members can explain it to you!
    So, it's a minimum buy-in of about $12,500 right now for 125 points. How do the points work? Like, after you buy-in and you want to go on vacation, each resort and room category is a certain amount of points to stay there? How do you know how many points it is to stay at a certain resort? Is it 125 points per year? Like, if I don't use all 125 points in one year, the remaining roll over to the next so I can collect them and go on a bigger, better vacation one year?

And you still have to purchase park tickets separate, right? What about the dining plan? Do you qualify for that with DVC?

I know it's a lot of questions, sorry. I have the DVC video, im just still very confused.

-HannahLeigh

Quote Originally Posted by HannahLeigh

So, it's a minimum buy-in of about $12,500 right now for 125 points. How do the points work? Like, after you buy-in and you want to go on vacation, each resort and room category is a certain amount of points to stay there? How do you know how many points it is to stay at a certain resort? Is it 125 points per year? Like, if I don't use all 125 points in one year, the remaining roll over to the next so I can collect them and go on a bigger, better vacation one year?

And you still have to purchase park tickets separate, right? What about the dining plan? Do you qualify for that with DVC?

I know it's a lot of questions, sorry. I have the DVC video, im just still very confused.

I'm still a tiny bit confused too. But, my DH and I are planning on taking one of the DVC tours while we're at WDW in December. I'm pretty much sold on it but he's still a bit hesitant. With us planning on going around every 2 years, I think it'll be a good investment for us. I think once we do the tour, see the villas and what's available, and he can ask all the questions he wants, we'll hopefully buy into it.
    Sent from my magical iPad
    Wilderness Lodge August 2006
    All-Star Movies August 2010
    All-Star Movies December 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Disney_Lover570

I'm still a tiny bit confused too. But, my DH and I are planning on taking one of the DVC tours while we're at WDW in December. I'm pretty much sold on it but he's still a bit hesitant. With us planning on going around every 2 years, I think it'll be a good investment for us. I think once we do the tour, see the villas and what's available, and he can ask all the questions he wants, we'll hopefully buy into it.
    Doing the tour is a great idea!! It is hard to explain how everything works with DVC via computer. DH and I are completely sold on it (my parents have been members for 5 years), just need to get the money set aside for it.

Hi Hannahleigh

Definitely do the tour. We bought in to BLT as our home resort in 2009 and we found the tour really helpful. The points you use depends on how long you stay for and where you stay. If you don't use all of your points you can bank what's left for the following year. You can only rollover for one year. You can also bring points forward. We're visiting our home resort with friends and their kids for the first time this summer and we've rolled over and brought points forward. We're essentially using 3 years of points but it means that the 7 of us can stay for 3 weeks and it's only costing my friends for their flights, park tickets and spending money as the accommodation is all covered. We've been best of friends for 25 years and it's brilliant to be able to give a little bit back after all the fantastic years (and holidays) we've had together. DVC is the absolute best thing we've ever done as a family.

As for the dining plan you don't qualify for free DP if you're a DVC member. Not sure if you get a discount if you buy it. We never take DP because we decided we couldn't physically eat all of the food it covered!

I can't tell from your info where you're from. If you're british then you're cheaper buying the 14 day ultimate ticket that's available for UK visitors rather than buying from DVC. However, if you're from the USA and can visit for shorter periods of time then the discounts for tickets are fab!

Good luck on your decision making
    If you can dream it you can do it.....

The tour is great and your advisor over you tour can tell you all about how your poiints work basically you can take about 1 long vacation on your 125 points or 2 1 wk vacations if you use your points wisely if you cant go one year or you don't use your points you can bank them for a later trip! It is all really rather hard to explain over email and the do a great job of explaining things to you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast