Where is Your Home Away from Home?? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Disney World is my home away from home

Our home resort is SSR, August will be our 3rd stay here, it's a great resort for us because we like to eat at Downtown Disney instead of the parks in the evenings, the 1 bedroom is a good size for us with 2 children, the resort hotel rooms were just to small for a 2 week stay.

Our home away from home is Animal Kingdom Villas. We stay there most of the time. We have also tried Boardwalk and Vero Beach. We are most looking forward to trying Aulani some day. So far all the vacation club rooms have lived up to expectations and we have never been disappointed. The only problem with the Kidani Village savanna view is you never want to leave your room (or pool)!!

Our home away from home was either pop or all stars sports but since January our new home away from is animal kingdom lodge. If I could go here several times a year I would. I love the atmosphere and amenities and its the only resort that my Kids keep talking about and asking about, something that's never happened with any other resort.

Sent from my EvO 3D using TalkDisney

One thing you need to understand is that your home resort has no bearing on where you actually stay! We are at Saratoga Springs, and we planned on going every other year as well. We bought there because when they were building tree houses, they were selling points for $90 a piece, we got 140...great deal. We just added on another 35 there for $99 a piece. The only thing that matters about home resort is that you can book 11 months ahead there, and only 7 months ahead at any of the others. So the tour will be nice just to see things, and have questions answered, but it shouldn't necessarily determine where you buy, money probably will determine that.
    We stayed at Kidani on trip in Nov/Dec, and it was amazing! Next trip, we're torn, I don't think you can go wrong.
    As to money, if you are truly planning on going every other year, the money definitely makes sense. We have 5 of us currently going, and we have plenty of points to stay at 1 or 2 bedrooms at any of the resorts.
    As to dining plan, you don't get a discount on that, but you've got the kitchen in your room. We did it this last trip since our kids are still young, and we thought let's do a bunch of character dining this time...the plan paid for that alone. So, it's a ton of food, but we saved some quick service, and had food for the coolers on the car ride back to Cleveland! There are lots of discounts at a variety of food places with your DVC membership though, as well as shops, etc. No discounts on any tickets, except annual pass ones, which if you'll go every year, may be worth it!
    Hope this helps a little anyway.

Re: Where is Your Home Away from Home??

We stayed at our Home Resort last year and did not like it. I am going to say that our Home Away from Home would be Beach Club or Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village!!!!

2015-Beach Club, 2013-Old Key West & Vero Beach, 2011- Animal Kingdom Lodge-Kidani Village, 2009- Boardwalk, 2007- Saratoga Springs, 2006- Hilton Head, 2006- School Trip, 2004- Wilderness Lodge & Ft. Wilderness, 2003-Disneyland, 2001- Boardwalk, 2001- Vero Beach, 2000-Dixie Landings (Join DVC) 2000- Vero Beach, 1997- Dixie Landings

Quote Originally Posted by umickeymecrzy View Post
    Our home away from home is Animal Kingdom Villas. We stay there most of the time. We have also tried Boardwalk and Vero Beach. We are most looking forward to trying Aulani some day. So far all the vacation club rooms have lived up to expectations and we have never been disappointed. The only problem with the Kidani Village savanna view is you never want to leave your room (or pool)!!
    Last year we added Bay Lake Tower and Old Key West to our list of DVC resorts we have stayed at. Again, we have not been disappointed anywhere. Are goal is to try them all. Just booked Aulani for end of July beginning of Aug. Thank you DCV, I don't think we would be going to Hawaii without you!

We came very close to buying into BLT in 2009. We went on a tour and unfortunately had reservations for dinner we had to get to. Had we had just another ten minutes we probably would have signed papers. Once we got home we realized we had a year longer to pay in our vehicles so decided to wait till they were paid off. Then our public schools became a big failure so we decided it was more important to put out kids in private school. I am really hoping that after our middle boy graduates this year and we pay off a couple credit cards I can talk DH into looking into it again. Not sure where it will be will probably wait to see if they have any specials going on.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmule229 View Post
    We came very close to buying into BLT in 2009. We went on a tour and unfortunately had reservations for dinner we had to get to. Had we had just another ten minutes we probably would have signed papers. Once we got home we realized we had a year longer to pay in our vehicles so decided to wait till they were paid off. Then our public schools became a big failure so we decided it was more important to put out kids in private school. I am really hoping that after our middle boy graduates this year and we pay off a couple credit cards I can talk DH into looking into it again. Not sure where it will be will probably wait to see if they have any specials going on.
    Just FYI, buying resale costs a lot less than buying direct if you would be interested in that. We used The Timeshare Store and they were great to deal with!

We are new to DVC but bought into Saratoga Springs. I plan on trying all the resorts before I decide which one truly feels like "home". Next on our hit list...Wilderness Lodge!
    Couldn't imagine life without WDW!
    Last Trip: Oct 2015
    Upcoming: Feb 2016
    Treehouses(2) Vaca. Villas(2) Poly(1) Contemporary(1) CSR(1) CBR(4) POR(1) Sports(4) OKW(1) SSR(2) AKL(1)
    **Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally, Golly, what a day!**

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Just FYI, buying resale costs a lot less than buying direct if you would be interested in that. We used The Timeshare Store and they were great to deal with! We are new to DVC but bought into Saratoga Springs. I plan on trying all the resorts before I decide which one truly feels like "home". Next on our hit list...Wilderness Lodge!
    Thanks will check that out!

Re: Where is Your Home Away from Home??

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmule229 View Post
    Thanks will check that out!
    No problem! Feel free to ask if you have any questions!
    Couldn't imagine life without WDW!
    Last Trip: Oct 2015
    Upcoming: Feb 2016
    Treehouses(2) Vaca. Villas(2) Poly(1) Contemporary(1) CSR(1) CBR(4) POR(1) Sports(4) OKW(1) SSR(2) AKL(1)
    **Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally, Golly, what a day!**

Saratoga springs is our home resort but we love Old Key West the most the rooms are bigger and even though it further out of the way fr some of the other parks its a boat ride to downtown Disney
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, But by the moments that take our breaths away!

If you can dream it, You can do it!

Our home away from home is the Boardwalk Inn!! But we also love to stay at Beach Club, Kidani at Animal Kingdom Lodge, and Bay Lake Towers!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123