• Nook

1 8.33%
  • Kindle

7 58.33%
  • neither but want one of the 2

4 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nook or Kindle????

debating on what to get!!! what does everyone else have if any and what are the pros and cons you have found about each!!

thanks
    Peggy

ORANGE LAKE RESORT - MAY 2011

Re: Nook or Kindle????

I have a Kindle3 and I love it. From what I've read in reviews, it has a much bigger selection and performs much better. I heard about problems with the Nook.

It takes a couple seconds for a book to download. You can download free samples of books so you can start reading it before you spend the money on it.

The Nook is backlit like an iPhone. The Kindle isn't it's more like reading print on paper. I think it is probably much easier on the eyes.

I bought a hard leather cover with it that has a built in light. It protects the Kindle and helps you read in a darker room. The Kindle sort of snaps in so it becomes part of the cover. You can hold it like a real book this way. The cover was not cheap, but worth it.

If you get a Kindle3, make sure you get the right cover for it. There are size differences between this one and earlier versions.

I bought the $139 Kindle3. It doesn't have 3G, but I really don't need it. You can read the books anywhere. You don't have to have a connection of any kind. The wi-fi/3G is for downloading books.
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

I don't have one yet, but I'm considering getting the Kindle
    Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012,Fantasy: 20-27, 2012, Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013,Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014,Dream: Sept 14-18, 2015
    TD Moderator

I'm going to add another one to the equation. I have an iPad 3G+WiFi. I was in the market for an e-reader last year and my fiancé was going to buy whichever one I choose for my birthday. He brought up the iPad as an option because it has the iBooks. I went to to Apple store at least 5 times and played around with one and fell in love with it. It does so much more then the other e-readers and it's one of the reasons I love it. Instead of carrying an e-reader and a laptop, I just carry my iPad. It may be a little more expensive but I think it's worth it. And the books only take seconds to download.and you can download samples first.the fact that is does the Internet, photos, music, video, movies, and the books as well as apps, you just can't beat it. I love it!
    Last edited by Disney_Lover570; 02-04-2011 at 02:33 PM.
    Sent from my magical iPad
    Wilderness Lodge August 2006
    All-Star Movies August 2010
    All-Star Movies December 2012

Ipad with the Free Nook application! and free downloads from my local public library!

5/2001- All Star Music
    9/2006- All Star Sports MNSSHP
    8/2007- POR FQ- Magical Gathering
    9/2008- Polynesian 9/26-10/1 MNSSHP
    8/2009- Polynesian 8/30-9/7
    8/2010- POR 8/27-9/4
    8/2011- POR again! 8/25-9/4

I like the Kindle because of it's size. I can tuck it into my purse (I don't carry a big purse). And I'm not sure what you meant about carrying around a laptop with an e-reader. You don't need a laptop to read books with the Kindle. You don't even have to be connected.

And there are free samples, too. I have tons of them! And, like I said earlier, downloads take a couple of seconds.

The iPad is cool and I'd totally love to have one, but I'd rather read with the Kindle. It's smaller and easier on the eyes.
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

Quote Originally Posted by Curious Alice
    I like the Kindle because of it's size. I can tuck it into my purse (I don't carry a big purse). And I'm not sure what you meant about carrying around a laptop with an e-reader. You don't need a laptop to read books with the Kindle. You don't even have to be connected.

And there are free samples, too. I have tons of them! And, like I said earlier, downloads take a couple of seconds.

The iPad is cool and I'd totally love to have one, but I'd rather read with the Kindle. It's smaller and easier on the eyes.
    No, actually I think what she meant was the iPad is like a laptop. You can basically do the same things you can with a laptop just more portable. She I think what she means is while the iPad is great for laptop work, it makes a fabulous e-reader as well.
    A dream is a wish your heart makes

WDW: Visited 48 times

DCL: Disney Magic (5) Disney Fantasy (1) Disney Dream (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Disney_Lover570 View Post
    I'm going to add another one to the equation. I have an iPad 3G+WiFi. I was in the market for an e-reader last year and my fiancé was going to buy whichever one I choose for my birthday. He brought up the iPad as an option because it has the iBooks. I went to to Apple store at least 5 times and played around with one and fell in love with it. It does so much more then the other e-readers and it's one of the reasons I love it. Instead of carrying an e-reader and a laptop, I just carry my iPad. It may be a little more expensive but I think it's worth it. And the books only take seconds to download.and you can download samples first.the fact that is does the Internet, photos, music, video, movies, and the books as well as apps, you just can't beat it. I love it!
    but do you need to pay extra for the service with an Ipad...like as if it were an iphone you have to pay for the service...or can you just use it like a laptop on anyone's wireless connection ????
    Peggy

Quote Originally Posted by shefrn1

but do you need to pay extra for the service with an Ipad...like as if it were an iphone you have to pay for the service...or can you just use it like a laptop on anyone's wireless connection ????
    I'm not sure what your saying... :\

LOL....that's cause I need techie for dummies...lol

when you get an iphone...you need a cellphone service plan?? do you need the same for and ipad....I have sprint so I don't have iphones available to me on my service plan so unless i wanna switch plans i can't get an iphone....is that the same for an ipad....do you have to have a service plan to use it like the internet???

that prolly doesn't make any sens...sorry ....lol
    Peggy

Quote Originally Posted by shefrn1
    LOL....that's cause I need techie for dummies...lol

when you get an iphone...you need a cellphone service plan?? do you need the same for and ipad....I have sprint so I don't have iphones available to me on my service plan so unless i wanna switch plans i can't get an iphone....is that the same for an ipad....do you have to have a service plan to use it like the internet???

that prolly doesn't make any sens...sorry ....lol
    Actually, you don't need a data plan for an iPad. I have one and mine is wifi only, so I don't have to pay the monthly payments. So, even if your on sprint, you can still get an iPad without 3G. And no, you do not need a service plan to go on the Internet. If you get an wifi only iPad, you just need wifi to search the Internet, get apps, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by OswaldLuva View Post
    No, actually I think what she meant was the iPad is like a laptop. You can basically do the same things you can with a laptop just more portable. She I think what she means is while the iPad is great for laptop work, it makes a fabulous e-reader as well.

DOH! You're right. I misinterpreted the sentence because I don't own a laptop, so I just don't think that way.

I check my email and go online through my phone...which is a LOT smaller than an iPad!
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

I LOVE my Kindle! I have an iPhone so don't see the point in having an iPad! 8:0) XXX

Sent from my MAGICAL communication device  XXX

Quote Originally Posted by Rawlybabe
    I LOVE my Kindle! I have an iPhone so don't see the point in having an iPad! 8:0) XXX

Sent from my MAGICAL communication device  XXX
    I was more referring to people who were debating between the kindle or iPad, that don't have an iPhone already.

Elgin, IL (a suburb about 40 miles outside Chicago)

Do not have either, but want one, just not sure which one....guess if I do not get one for Christmas, will get one afterwards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast