Mission: Disabled/Handicapped - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by lillica
    Myself and my brother will be visiting next month, he has anxiety issues around large crowds and due to other issues has problems standing for a long time, would we need to bring any documentation to obtain a pass as its not outwardly visible and I really want to make it the best time possible for him?
    Legally, Disney cannot ask for documentation proving his disability. That being said, I always carry a note from our family doctor outlining my son's disability with me, just in case.
    Claudine
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

You can also go to Guest Relations at any of the parks and ask for an alternate access card. It's not something well known. They will ask why you need one. Just explain your brothers disability and they should grant it. I'm going by what you explained. It will be good for your entire visit at all parks. Have a magical time!!!

What is an alternate access card and how does it differ from a GAC?

written with magic from my iPhone

What is a GAC?

Quote Originally Posted by mouseketeer71
    What is a GAC?
    A GAC is a card provided by Disney Guest Services that provides accommodations for people with non-evident disabilities (eg. autism or ADHD). Generally it enables those guests who cannot wait in extensive limes due to a medical condition, and those travelling with them (up to six people total), to an alternate queue, in most cases the Fastpass entrance.
    Claudine
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

That is what I am talking about, but it has to have the alternate access pass stamped in it. Otherwise, you may not be able to us the handicap for fastpass lane. It has happened to us.

Quote Originally Posted by DinaDAngel

Legally, Disney cannot ask for documentation proving his disability. That being said, I always carry a note from our family doctor outlining my son's disability with me, just in case.
    I usually do carry a note from our doctor but I have never been asked for it. My boys have fragile x syndrome and have no visible signs of their disability either. We have actually purchased Disney Vacation Club because of how well my boys have been treated at WDW! I know a few other places that could take lessons from Disney!

I had to use a scooter on my last trip to the "land" due my heart condition and was just told yesterday that it's not likely to improve and that I will have it the rest of my life. I really want to take my son for his third birthday. Has anyone disabled ever taken their young children? How did it turn out.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGirl907
    I had to use a scooter on my last trip to the "land" due my heart condition and was just told yesterday that it's not likely to improve and that I will have it the rest of my life. I really want to take my son for his third birthday. Has anyone disabled ever taken their young children? How did it turn out.
    I have with no issues. Make sure to plan ahead. I ordered my scooter from Buena Vista Scooter Rentals so I had one all the time. Plus it's cheaper. I went to Guest Relations and got a Guest Access Card. This will let cast members know you made need assistance. Also gives you the priveledge of using an alternate access point.

Quote Originally Posted by bashant4
    I also have MS and going to Disney in August is our only option this year. I read in the monthly MS magazine how wonderful WDW is for guests with disabilities. Although I was told I wouldn't need it, I ha my doctor write a note for me for any accommodations I may need.
    We are a party of 10 on our trip (3 of them kids) do you know if the GAC will accommodate all of us?
    FYI: GAC's will accommodate up to a party of six. They cast members do a head count whenever you go on a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGirl907 View Post
    I took my 3 year old last year and it was fine. I let him ride on scooter as it was a privately rented one. Some Disney staff didn't like I was doing it I just said my scooter my rules. I would rather he rode with me if I was away from my wife than have him walk beside me and get lost. They don't tell other people not to carry children him on scooter with me is same thing to me o I can't carry him as I only have 1 leg.

We are going again next year and I will do the same as he will be coming on most of the rides with me as my wife isn't a big rider so to keep him with me he will be sat on my knee or standing on scooter helping me drive lol.

Anyone says anything just ignore them if we fall off its my fault I won't blame Disney, it's health & safety gone mad sometimes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12