Harry Potter attraction coming to Universal Studios Hollywood

Hogwarts is coming to Hollywood.

Universal Studios is planning to build a replica of its successful Florida Harry Potter theme park in Los Angeles, said people familiar with the matter but not authorized to discuss it publicly.

A contract between Comcast Corp.-owned Universal and Warner Bros., which made the "Harry Potter" movies and controls licensing rights to author J.K. Rowling's books about the boy wizard, is being finalized and should be done within the next few weeks, the people said.

The Walt Disney Co. The new attraction is expected to open at Universal Studios Hollywood no earlier than 2015.
    The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando has drawn more than 7 million people and was a primary driver in a 36% boost in attendance at the theme park in the first three months of 2011.

Families have flocked to the park to go on Potter-themed rides, like the Flight of the Hippogriff, visit replicas of Potter locations like the Three Broomsticks Inn, and even drink a re-creation of the story's famous butterbeer.
    Universal was not the only entertainment company seeking to replicate The Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Southern California. Walt Disney Co. also held discussions with Warner to secure the rights for Disneyland in Anaheim. Recently, Disney signed a partnership to create attractions based on 20th Century Fox's "Avatar," the first of which will begin construction in Orlando in 2013.

A remaining question is where the Potter rides and shops would be placed at the land-strapped Universal Hollywood. In order to make room, the park would likely have to remove or retrofit existing rides.
    News of the deal was first reported by the Wall Street Journal.

source
    Rick
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our childen"
    Walt Disney
    Talk Disney Administrator

Oh my goodness how flipping wonderful!!! So excited about Hogwarts and/ or Harry Potter in the west coast! Thank you for sharing!
    Last edited by Green Fairy; 12-01-2011 at 12:07 PM.
    ~Fairy wishes & sparkling dreams Rebecca
    "If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." ~Albert Einstein

"If you can DREAM it, you can DO it." ~Walt Disney

Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 Boardwalk Autumn 2013

Re: Harry Potter attraction coming to Universal Studios Hollywood

Interesting, I wonder if building a west coast version would hurt the attendance here in Orlando? I would tend to believe it would take away some especially if it's an exact clone b/c why would you want to see both.
    Go Noles! Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Jedi Rhy View Post
    Interesting, I wonder if building a west coast version would hurt the attendance here in Orlando? I would tend to believe it would take away some especially if it's an exact clone b/c why would you want to see both.
    Hopefully it will make it less crowded. i haven't been yet, but i hear the crowds are insane.
    "To the youngsters of today, I say Believe In The Future ..." - Walt Disney

Michelle

Would it hurt attendance in Orlando?

We still wouldn't consider going to the other Universal park unless we were vacationing on the West Coast.

I do think that Universal have hit on a winning formula with Harry Potter though. Hopefully it'll give Disney the kick it needs to bring in some major park improvements - and with the Fantasyland expansion, the signs are good!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Ooo, that sounds interesting. Quite exciting. I'm just wondering where in the world they would put it. There's not much space up on the hill that the studios is on at the moment. Hmmm...

That sounds awesome! Just 1 more reason to stay for 1 more day!))