Dog Kennel?

Thread: Dog Kennel?

Dog Kennel?

For the first time ever my family are bringing the puppies to Disney! Since this is the first time, can anyone tell my their experiences with the dog kennel? When we arrive, the puppies will only be a year. I want to know the good, the bad, and the ugly!

Thanks guys!

Re: Dog Kennel?

Hold on to all loose items, we are moving this thread to the traveling with pets forum.
    Rick
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our childen"
    Walt Disney
    Talk Disney Administrator

We brought our dogs back in 1996 (Rott mix and Irish Wolfhound mix). I was used to kennels that included an indoor space and outdoor space, and was surprised to find that the dogs were kept in what amounted to a large cage. This was the kennel right outside Fort Wilderness. Well, we gave the dogs two of our blankets and came back each morning and evening to take them out for a bit. Otherwise, they would have spent the whole time (2 weeks) in the cage.

I am pleased to say that I recently read an article on the WDW kennels and it appears they've improved. I believe the dogs are now let out for exercise and have more space. Other than the lack of space (back in 1996), my dogs seemed okay with the whole thing. We won't be bringing our current dog with us, but I wouldn't hesitate to do so if we didn't have anyone to watch her.
    Fort Wilderness 1972, 1981, 1985, 1987 (cabins), 1992, 1996
    Caribbean Beach Resort 1991
    Animal Kingdom Lodge 2008
    May 2013 - resort not yet chosen

Quote Originally Posted by fstyne
    We brought our dogs back in 1996 (Rott mix and Irish Wolfhound mix). I was used to kennels that included an indoor space and outdoor space, and was surprised to find that the dogs were kept in what amounted to a large cage. This was the kennel right outside Fort Wilderness. Well, we gave the dogs two of our blankets and came back each morning and evening to take them out for a bit. Otherwise, they would have spent the whole time (2 weeks) in the cage.

I am pleased to say that I recently read an article on the WDW kennels and it appears they've improved. I believe the dogs are now let out for exercise and have more space. Other than the lack of space (back in 1996), my dogs seemed okay with the whole thing. We won't be bringing our current dog with us, but I wouldn't hesitate to do so if we didn't have anyone to watch her.
    I think they even offer spa treatments for dogs at an extra cost. Some of the kennels at the parks have recently closed and I think its because of upgrades.

Sent from my EvO 3D using TalkDisney

They now have the Best Friends Kennels. Dogs can have "suites" or villas." Some are indoor/outdoor with private patios and TVs. They get to play outside in the dog park for a while. And you can even arrange for them to be read bedtime stories!

I don't know anyone who has used the kennels, but I've read about them.

Here's the website:

Best Friends Pet Care : Walt Disney World Resort
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

Quote Originally Posted by Curious Alice
    They now have the Best Friends Kennels. Dogs can have "suites" or villas." Some are indoor/outdoor with private patios and TVs. They get to play outside in the dog park for a while. And you can even arrange for them to be read bedtime stories!

I don't know anyone who has used the kennels, but I've read about them.

Here's the website:

Best Friends Pet Care : Walt Disney World Resort
    I would probably use it but I'd rather not pay hotel room rates for a dog kennel.

Sent from my EvO 3D using TalkDisney