Wheelchair friendly disney?

Question Wheelchair friendly disney?

Hello all...it's been quite a while since i've been here..

I have a question i have a friend who is in a wheelchair because of minor cp(carabel paulsy) limted use of her legs...
    any way we were planing on going to WDW in late fall eairly winter like right around thanksgiving. and I wanted to know How wheelchair friendly it was would love to do as many rides and attrictons as i could with her?!?...

Thanks Guys
    t.t.f.n. ta ta for now...tigger

Hello. I have some experience with this so I hope I can help a little. I went to WDW with my father and brother back in 2006 and my father is pretty much wheelchair bound. He had a scooter type of wheelchair. He could walk very small distances as well but for the most part wasn't able to walk. We used Disney transportation (busses and boats) and he had no problem. When the busses would pull up they would make sure he was strapped in the bus before allowing anyone else on. As for rides, there are a couple where he had to transfer from the chair to the ride (for example, Pirates of the Caribbean). Some do allow the chair on the ride( it's a Small World is one). I believe there are websites telling you which ones are which. Also, the maps in the parks do as well. We used the Passporters book for disabilities and it was a great resource. You can find it in the travel section at Barnes and Noble where all the WDW books are.we honestly didn't have many issues. If you have any more questions, let me know. I'll try and help as best as I can.
    Last edited by Disney_Lover570; 02-14-2012 at 09:41 PM.
    Sent from my magical iPad
    Wilderness Lodge August 2006
    All-Star Movies August 2010
    All-Star Movies December 2012

Re: Wheelchair friendly disney?

Quote Originally Posted by Disney_Lover570 View Post
    Hello. I have some experience with this so I hope I can help a little. I went to WDW with my father and brother back in 2006 and my father is pretty much wheelchair bound. He had a scooter type of wheelchair. He could walk very small distances as well but for the most part wasn't able to walk. We used Disney transportation (busses and boats) and he had no problem. When the busses would pull up they would make sure he was strapped in the bus before allowing anyone else on. As for rides, there are a couple where he had to transfer from the chair to the ride (for example, Pirates of the Caribbean). Some do allow the chair on the ride( it's a Small World is one). I believe there are websites telling you which ones are which. Also, the maps in the parks do as well. We used the Passporters book for disabilities and it was a great resource. You can find it in the travel section at Barnes and Noble where all the WDW books are.we honestly didn't have many issues. If you have any more questions, let me know. I'll try and help as best as I can.
    thank you disney lover i'm looking on you tue and i'm finding a few ride like toy story manina...journy in to imaginotion(sp) lol alson small world that allow wheelchairs on..thanks for the info..we don go for a while but i'm starting to look now never to earily to look

Quote Originally Posted by Rockerchick84

thank you disney lover i'm looking on you tue and i'm finding a few ride like toy story manina...journy in to imaginotion(sp) lol alson small world that allow wheelchairs on..thanks for the info..we don go for a while but i'm starting to look now never to earily to look
    You're welcome. Glad I could help. If you have any other questions, I'm here.
    Sent from my magical iPad
    Wilderness Lodge August 2006
    All-Star Movies August 2010
    All-Star Movies December 2012

Disney is very wheelchair friendly! My brother is confined to a chair and my father uses a scooter. My only tip? When booking a room, the cast member will likely ask if your friend can transfer from the chair to the tub. They mean, by walking. We were confused, because yes my brother can transfer to the tub, although he has no use of his legs. However, if you tell them you can transfer, they assume you can walk. My brothers chair wouldn't even fit in the bathroom. Disney was so kind. They upgraded my parents and brother to the club level of the Wilderness Lodge. Not only that, they got two adjoining rooms at no extra charge. It was amazing for them!

Hold on to all loose items, we are moving this thread to the disabilities forum.
    Rick
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our childen"
    Walt Disney
    Talk Disney Administrator

Mickey Re: Wheelchair friendly disney?

Quote Originally Posted by whodatdisney View Post
    Disney is very wheelchair friendly! My brother is confined to a chair and my father uses a scooter. My only tip? When booking a room, the cast member will likely ask if your friend can transfer from the chair to the tub. They mean, by walking. We were confused, because yes my brother can transfer to the tub, although he has no use of his legs. However, if you tell them you can transfer, they assume you can walk. My brothers chair wouldn't even fit in the bathroom. Disney was so kind. They upgraded my parents and brother to the club level of the Wilderness Lodge. Not only that, they got two adjoining rooms at no extra charge. It was amazing for them!
    thank you so much for the advice..my friend can do transfers from chair to bed..chair to toliet..and car ect with assicants of a walker of handrails. but stays in her chair most of the time like "a roll in shower" it's much easier....this is why i love disney they do awesome things like that at no charge

Disney is definitely one of the most wheel chair friendly places on the planet - it will be great!

thanks guys your great