DVC resales

Thread: DVC resales

DVC resales

Have any of you DVC members purchased DVC resales recently? or bought into DVC directly through Disney recently and got a "sold out" resort??

For us buying into DVC now is a smart decision as our kids are 3 & 1, and we will not have to purchase park tickets on most trips as my brother and sister-in-law work at WDW. Some visits may just be going down to visit them, enjoy the pool and not even see the parks.

I know they now have restrictions on member who purchase through resale, which is fine for us because we won't use our points for anything other than DVC resorts.

Any help or information would be greatly appriciated!

Re: DVC resales

The biggest restriction if you don't buy from disney is you can't use your points for the cruises.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, But by the moments that take our breaths away!

If you can dream it, You can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymommyx2
    The biggest restriction if you don't buy from disney is you can't use your points for the cruises.
    Yeah, we do know that which is ok. Financially smarter to not use points for cruises anyway. Plus, I get commission when I book our cruise so that's a bonus! :-). We are just wondering what anyone has purchased recently either via resale or direct with Disney, I might just go ahead and call DVC tomorrow.

We bought last July from DVC
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, But by the moments that take our breaths away!

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymommyx2
    We bought last July from DVC
    I think we are going to buy from DVC, it looks like the smart choice when we look at all the pros and cons

Thats what we did!

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymommyx2 View Post
    Thats what we did!

We did it today!! So excited to use it for our 5yr anniversary in January on a trip w/out kids :-) I think there were just too many downsides to resale for us, but might still consider it in the future.

Congrats! You will love it greatest thing we ever did!! We are planning a kids free vacation with our points also in oct I think this year! Enjoy.

We bought in 2008 at AK Kidani Village. We bought direct for $103/point. Didn't really buy as a monetary investment. We did buy, however, because we wanted the ability to take our kids and, future grand kids, on Disney vacations.

One issue we have recently run into is how booked the DVC resorts are! We have been put on waiting lists and then cancelled our wait at both Hilton Head and the new Hawaii resort, which we wanted to visit for our 20th wedding anniversary. Apparently the demand is currently exceeding supply, which is good for Disney, but difficult as a point holder.

Navigating the rules of the DVC was initially challenging at times, but I think we have a decent handle understanding the rules now.

Make sure you are financially able to commit as well. If you finance, you have the monthly payment and then don't forget the maintenance fee at the beginning of the year, which for us is roughly $1000. Additionally, you have bought your vacation time, now you have to pay to get there, tickets to the parks (if you chose) food, and what ever else you chose. It is a commitment and if there isn't room in the budget for one or two trips per year, you may want to reconsider.

We have enjoyed our DVC and look forward to gifting points to our kids honeymoons, and taking our grand kids to WDW.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkDisney

Anyone know the difference between buying direct or a resale? Will the benefits be exactly the same? How about adding points, are you able to with a resale?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker15 View Post
    Anyone know the difference between buying direct or a resale? Will the benefits be exactly the same? How about adding points, are you able to with a resale?
    Disney no longer allows resale points to be used for conventional hotel rooms at the parks, on cruise ships or vacations through Adventures by Disney.

Resale owners will only be allowed to use their points for stays in one of the 11 time-share resorts (eight at WDW) or in third-party hotels available through time-share exchange operator RCI.

Customers who buy directly from Disney will still be able to redeem their points at Disney hotels, aboard Disney Cruise Line or through Adventures by Disney. The ability to use points for different Disney vacations is a perk frequently cited by Disney Vacation Club sales agents.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Quote Originally Posted by Winkster

Disney no longer allows resale points to be used for conventional hotel rooms at the parks, on cruise ships or vacations through Adventures by Disney.

Resale owners will only be allowed to use their points for stays in one of the 11 time-share resorts (eight at WDW) or in third-party hotels available through time-share exchange operator RCI.

Customers who buy directly from Disney will still be able to redeem their points at Disney hotels, aboard Disney Cruise Line or through Adventures by Disney. The ability to use points for different Disney vacations is a perk frequently cited by Disney Vacation Club sales agents.

Correct! Although, my opinion on it is ...you shouldn't use the points for those things anyway. It "costs"less to pay cash for them. We will eventually add-on with a resale contract as the cost is so much better than buying direct.

We bought resale right before they made these changes. I agree with above post you get your most return using your points at the resorts or Vero Beach or Hilton Head.