When is it worth it and when is it not?

When is it worth it and when is it not?

We try and take a one week vacation to Disney world once a year (sometimes twice). Coming from Michigan it's usually about 3-4 grand, but that's including plane tickets the dining plan, park tickets, etc. The numbers I've heard are around 20,000 down, and all it gets you is into the resort "for free" once a year right? It seems like it wouldn't be worth it for people vacationing like we are, but maybe I've been misinformed somewhere alone the line. Anyway, when would you say the dvc is and isn't worth it?

Sent from my iPad using TalkDisney

I'm curious about this, too. Would it be worth it for a couple that goes to WDW 3x a year for an average of 4 nights per visit?
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

Imo, I don't think it would save money for an Ap holder that go 3+ times a year staying at a value.
    Frying pans! Who knew, right!?

Talk Disney Moderator

Click here to become a Premium

Any thoughts on my situation? Borderline or definitely not worth it?

hehe I don't know. That 20 gran figure is pretty steep. Hopefully Dvc members on here can give you the inside info.
    Frying pans! Who knew, right!?

Talk Disney Moderator

Click here to become a Premium

The price depends on how many points you buy and where you buy into.
    Laur

I only ask because the dvc website is surprisingly uninformative and vague.

It's hard to say if it's worth it or not, it's not for everyone. Everyone vacations differently, so it is worth it to me but may not be for you. I just did the math for us, it worked out to be good for us. It does take a bit longer to "get your money back" when you stay in values for trips normally. But you get to stay in Deluxe Villa resorts, which some have great locations and I wouldn't be able to afford to stay at them every trip if we weren't using our DVC points. We figured how many points we would need to be able to take our vacations every year and that's what we bought. We can stay in a studio for a week bank our extra points and stay in a 1 BR the next visit. I highly suggest going on a tour and talking to the guides. DVC members also get a $100 disc on APs and other various things.

I looked at it for us but decided its just not worth it.

All we'd get us a "free" resort - we'd still have to pay the annual dues, pay for flights, car rental, WDW passes (even if discounted), Universal and Sea World passes, meals etc.

And the points we'd need for a 17 night break would be horrendous!

Plus, do I remember right that points can only be carried over from the previous year but no more - and then borrowed from the next year only?

If that's the case, I guess we'd only need enough points for 6 days stay (carry six forward and borrow six from last year gives us an 18 day trip every 3 years) but I still don't feel it's worth it.

We may decide to go twice in 2 years and then take a 3 year break! All in all, I'd prefer the flexibility of paying as we go.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

It is a tough decision.

Curious Alice in your case you probably wouldn't save in the beginning - although after so many years you would break even. Dues for 200 points will put you right around $1000+ per year. Which is probably around what you spend on the three trips but you do not qualify for free dining.

In my opinion what works nice for my family is that we can do a group trip with my parents and brother an his girlfriend and last trip we were able to fit into a two bedroom (as our family expands though we will probably need a two bedroom and a studio). It was nice to be together and have the extra space especially having a 2 year old with us. We could put her to bed in one room and then still be up in the tv area. In this scenario even if we stayed at a value resort the cost of the rooms would have been well over the dues for that year. We have also been able to get other long weekend trips out of our points on the off years of the big family trip.

Before being DVC we would only stay at value and possibly a moderate b/c of the cost. It is nice to be able to stay at the deluxe although in our case it is just where we sleep and relax by the pool.