Your childless vacation "ethos"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Your childless vacation "ethos"

This subject has been hinted at in the http://www.talkdisney.com/forums/dis...ids-forum.html thread so I thought I'd develop it in a thread of it's own.

This might not make much sense and you might think I'm talking gibberish (I probably am!) but here goes...

One of the big attractions of being at WDW with kids often appears to be that parents get to be kids again and enjoy the attractions in the same way as their children do.

I've no idea if this is the same for everyone but for us (travelling without kids) we don't regress to childhood at WDW - we remain as adults and enjoy it as adults.

Maybe it's because childhood was a long time ago and, with no kids around, childhood is now unfamiliar territory to us - but I have no urge to become a kid again at WDW.

We enjoy the rides (and yep - we still do some of the kids rides too) but we also do the bars, the nice restaurants, the mini-golf (serious competition time!) and shops.

I don't want to skip, dance and sing down Main Street. I don't want my photo taken with Mickey and I've got no interest in waving at people in a parade. I do however want to relax, to take my time, to sit and people watch, to have a great laugh and enjoy the weather, the food (even the odd drink or three) and savour the amazing, friendly and fun atmosphere that Disney provides.

I'm constantly amazed at how Disney can meet the vacation needs of two such disparate groups of travellers so well. I don't think there's a right or wrong way to "do Disney" but I wonder if other "adult only" travellers share the same feelings as me.

Last edited by Winkster; 06-26-2012 at 06:21 PM.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Re: Your childless vacation "ethos"

First, I want to say that I prefer "child-free" to "childless."

My DH is like you, Winkster. He likes to experience WDW as an adult. But I still like getting my picture taken with characters and wearing a pair of my many Mickey Ears sometimes.
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

When hubby and I go alone (because we have many time) we are just like kids running around, me with my ears, and we do have our meltdowns lol. The good part though is that we're not so we can have beer then straight to the fun rides!
    Frying pans! Who knew, right!?

Talk Disney Moderator

Click here to become a Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Freshee61 View Post
    When hubby and I go alone (because we have many time) we are just like kids running around, me with my ears, and we do have our meltdowns lol. The good part though is that we're not so we can have beer then straight to the fun rides!
    Sounds exactly like our trips!
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

98% of the time I vacation at any Disney park, I am child-free. I do a combination of being a normal adult and acting like a big kid (I am still in my 20s). I enjoy wearing my ears and taking pictures with every character I can, but I love the spas, shops, and fancy restaurants. I guess it depends on when you catch me during my vacation.

We don't have children but I'm a huge kid at heart.
    Laur

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who loves to travel without kids. My boyfriend and I are in our early 20's and we have no children so we have the best time! We aren't drinkers so we don't go to bars and we don't even have drinks at dinner. I think we jump back and forward between adult and child on our Disney trips. We usually act like adults but we just have to get our pictures with the characters and that's about it.

We just love it!

Sent from my Magical Device
    Last edited by Winkster; 06-27-2012 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Post moderated

I enjoy meeting the characters and watching the parades, but I don't consider that "kid-like" (in my book, adults can enjoy them too).
    Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012,Fantasy: 20-27, 2012, Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013,Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014,Dream: Sept 14-18, 2015
    TD Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by laureliz13
    We don't have children but I'm a huge kid at heart.
    Me too

Well, most of the time I act like an adult, but when I'm at Disney I feel like a kid inside.
    That's what I love about Disney, it makes me feel like there is no worry in the world.
    I love watching the shows and parades and interacting with the characters,
    Haha, but I also love the adult part and drink some wine with my dinner and take a good cocktail now and then

Quote Originally Posted by joanna71985
    I enjoy meeting the characters and watching the parades, but I don't consider that "kid-like" (in my book, adults can enjoy them too).
    Agree, I didn't go for the characters when we started visiting the parks, but the more we went, the more time we also took for characters.
    Last year we spent a whole morning in Camp Minnie, Mickey in AK.
    It was such a great time, with guitar Dan and all the different characters, and such a relaxed, intimate atmosphere
    Last edited by MINI Mouse; 06-28-2012 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Looking forward to our Disney vacations

Quote Originally Posted by MINI Mouse View Post
    Me too
    Well, most of the time I act like an adult, but when I'm at Disney I feel like a kid inside.
    That's what I love about Disney, it makes me feel like there is no worry in the world.
    I love watching the shows and parades and interacting with the characters,
    Haha, but I also love the adult part and drink some wine with my dinner and take a good cocktail now and then
    That's exactly how I feel, except I'm not a huge parade fan and I'm a little scared of the characters, but I pose with them anyway.
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

We only ever watch a parade if we happen to be there as one is passing.

Other than on our first visits, I can't recall thinking "We must go and find a place for the 3pm parade".

If we sit it, we see it but if we don't I'm not fussed.

I'd rather enjoy a ride or three while everyone else is watching the parade.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

The exception would be the MVMCP and MNSSHP parades. Those are worth it!
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

Cool thread. My wife and I are a younger couple with no children. But believe me when I say the wife is giddy as anything when she sees "Disneyland Way" on the freeway off ramp coming up. I admit, I get pretty excited too. We just enjoy everything we can, and believe me when I say her big thing is to meet the princesses. And I can tell you, in the last 3 times we've been to Disney, that has been the longest wait in line (the Princess Faire and to meet Merida).
    We enjoy a good drink, but seeing as how the original Disneyland is the one we frequent the most we don't get as much a chance since the original Disney has no alcohol. We might sometimes if we're in California Adv, but don't always. We just really like the parks on their own and as a young couple enjoy it just as much as kids do, at least we think :-) We don't need to have little ones to bringthat out in us. But I guess that's what Disney does sometimes. We love it. Just °°°°° we're so far away from any Disney park! Otherwise we'd prob have annual passes.

We go child-free often and enjoy different aspects of the parks we can't enjoy with the kids such as the nicer restaurants or tours. It's a totally different feel without the kids.

I went to WDW often as a child and when I go now I don't "act" like I did then but I feel the same way I did as a child. I enjoy the sounds, the rides, the cast members, seeing others enjoy the park and experiencing a "world" of wonder. I hold a very special place in my heart for WDW and getting to enjoy it on my terms makes it magical in a way I can't share with my kids. Don't get me wrong ... I love to share WDW with my kids .. it's just different.

I daydream about WDW when I'm having a rough day and imagine being able to soak in the atmosphere. Experiencing WDW child-free is just as wonderful as with my kids but in a different way.
    32 visits to WDW. Visits since 2008:
    Jan 2008 - Wilderness Lodge, Sept 2008 - All-Star Music, Jan 2009 - Contemporary Resort & All-Star Sports, Jan 2011 - Polynesian Resort, Sept 2011 - Old Key West, Jan 2013 & Oct 2014 - Bay Lake Tower & Art of Animation, Jan 2015 - Bay Lake Tower, Port Orleans FQ, Villas at the Grand Floridian & Disney's Vero Beach, Jan 2016 - Animal Kingdom Villas, Port Orleans Riverside & Disney's Hilton Head Island

I haven't ever been without children but I would love to go. I would probably the kid type...lol! My husband is the calm collected one. Our 10 year anniversary is next year and that's what I want to do, experience Disney as adults. We also don't drink or anything like that but I'm sure just being able to relax and stroll the shops would be neat.
    Kristin
    Wife to Jeffrey
    Mom to Jay & Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast